Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #93,646 of 150,704
May 24, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #93,647 of 150,704
My aging Oppo BDP93 has USB in as do many other CD players. I'm not sure what is different with the Urd other than I think it's USB input can be connected to a USB streaming device where it will pass through the signal to a DAC.
I thought the URD was USB out as a digital signal so that it can get to your Schiit DAC of choice to be made analog. I think the only way to get digital out of my Oppo is optical.

May 24, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #93,648 of 150,704
Speaking as a real ale geek.

Top recommendation: St. Austell‘s „Proper Job“ (at cellar temperature).

May 24, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #93,649 of 150,704
If your cellar is a nice cool 50 degrees, then I'm on board.

**Call me uncouth, but when it is 100+ degrees in Texas, I will not turn my nose up to a 32F degree lager, sour, or shandy. :smirk:

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #93,650 of 150,704
I thought the URD was USB out as a digital signal so that it can get to your Schiit DAC of choice to be made analog. I think the only way to get digital out of my Oppo is optical.
My Oppo has optical and coaxial outputs. I'm not aware of any CD players/transports, other than the upcoming Urd, that have USB out. But I thought I read that Urd will also have a USB input that can be passed through.
Off topic - I Googled "CD Players with USB output" and IMO search engine optimization has made search engines all but worthless.

May 24, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #93,651 of 150,704
My Oppo has optical and coaxial outputs. I'm not aware of any CD players/transports, other than the upcoming Urd, that have USB out. But I thought I read that Urd will also have a USB input that can be passed through.
Off topic - I Googled "CD Players with USB output" and IMO search engine optimization has made search engines all but worthless.
Google search: over a decade ago Google worked with boolean commands. If put in CD player -Sony, you would get hits on CD players, and the number of hits with Sony in it would fall off drastically. Do that today, and hits with Sony rise to the top.
Since then, Google has added more weight to popular results. Feeding a popular result increases the popularity of that result. AKA as a feedback loop.
Popularity will probably doom us all.
==
On another topic, cold beverages. I do not like ice water. I really don't like cold beverages, especially with a meal. Try getting room temperature water in a restaurant in the USA. In Chinese medicine and China going back some decades, cold water or liquids is/was considered bad for you health. It causes damp spleen or something.

May 24, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #93,653 of 150,704
If your cellar is a nice cool 50 degrees, then I'm on board.

**Call me uncouth, but when it is 100+ degrees in Texas, I will not turn my nose up to a 32F degree lager, sour, or shandy. :smirk:
Yes but how often do we get 100F in the UK?

Each temp beer has their place. To add to CGC888, I’d recommend Rebellion beers. From Marlow. Their IPA and Blonde can be drunk chilled or room temp to vary the flavour.

Andrew

May 24, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #93,654 of 150,704
...On another topic, cold beverages. I do not like ice water. I really don't like cold beverages, especially with a meal. Try getting room temperature water in a restaurant in the USA. In Chinese medicine and China going back some decades, cold water or liquids is/was considered bad for you health. It causes damp spleen or something.

I grew up on a dairy farm. During the summer, you'd definitely became hot and sweaty, doing choirs. Especially when bailing hay...! (Yuck). But, I remember farm hands, that stopped for water, and wouldn't drink ice water. They liked room temperature or even warm water. Said "it was better for you"...! 🤔 It seemed weird to me. I was a kid, and didn't question it. 🙄

May 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #93,655 of 150,704
Urd will have their proprietary Unison input and output. The out is exciting because it will pair perfectly with their Unison input DACs. It promises to be an entirely assless connection.
Now there is THE proper answer on Urd .
Those "other" USB out CD players are just computer CD ROM drives in a box. Humbug.

May 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #93,656 of 150,704
I grew up on a dairy farm. During the summer, you'd definitely became hot and sweaty, doing choirs. Especially when bailing hay...! (Yuck). But, I remember farm hands, that stopped for water, and wouldn't drink ice water. They liked room temperature or even warm water. Said "it was better for you"...! 🤔 It seemed weird to me. I was a kid, and didn't question it. 🙄
I have known of farmers who drank hot coffee in hot temperatures. Some who ate hot peppers then. The theory was anything that makes you sweat more helped cool the body better.

May 24, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #93,658 of 150,704
On another topic, cold beverages. I do not like ice water. I really don't like cold beverages, especially with a meal. Try getting room temperature water in a restaurant in the USA. In Chinese medicine and China going back some decades, cold water or liquids is/was considered bad for you health. It causes damp spleen or something.
Absolutely no way am I going to Google "Chinese Damp Spleen Syndrome"

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #93,659 of 150,704
Speaking as a real ale geek.

Top recommendation: St. Austell‘s „Proper Job“ (at cellar temperature).
Great recommendation @CJG888 :relaxed:

As a fellow real ale geek, I'll second 'Proper Job' as a fine ale.

I was supping a pint of this excellent ale in a pub near St Austell just last week, while I was down in Cornwall!

Another Cornish ale which I really enjoyed while I was down there, was Skinners' 'Porthleven- Untameable Pale Ale'. Superb!
https://skinnersbrewery.com/porthleven-untameable-pale-ale/

It helped that I was drinking it in one of my favourite pubs anywhere in the UK- The Ship Inn, Porthleven
It is a 17th century pub overlooking the picturesque harbour.

https://theshipinnporthleven.co.uk/

Perfect!

Cheers :beerchug:

May 24, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #93,660 of 150,704
I only scratched Boston off my list because I honestly don't think I could understand a single word spoken by any native Bostonian. It took me long enough to master deciphering of Texas Twang.

Plus I HATE THE PATRIOTS! 😀
Philadelphia's accent is more of a challenge. Werter?!

My MIL was truly from Boston (born in Fenway) so maybe not understanding the accent was a good thing :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back