Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #93,031 of 154,166
Why an X reg, was it imported?

Cheers
No, X and Y were the UK year identifiers, but they were only issued for 6 months each to use up the prefix letters before the current UK system was introduced in 2001. So X was for registrations from (uk date format did/m/yyyy) 01/09/2000 to 28/02/2001, and Y was for 01/03/2001 to 31/08/2001.

Apologies if you know this already; the UK used the prefix letter to indicate date of first registration of the car between 1983 and 2001, with registration years running from (UK format) 01/08/yyyy to 31/07/yyyy+1. Most letters were used, with I,O,U and Z omitted for clarity. The only special code used was Q, which was applied to home-built, rebuilt or imported vehicles where the age cannot be determined.

So the Peugeot was first registered in 2000, hence the X prefix. I bought it at 9,000 miles in 2001 and kept it until last year by which time it was showing 240,000 ish miles. Not bad for a petrol engine.

The Toyota I bought new and the SY13 shows the current UK system with SY indicating registration in the Inverness area, and 13 showing registration between March and August of 2013.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #93,032 of 154,166
...but what percentage of the population has advanced degrees in that area?

In this era of "degree inflation", the value of advanced degrees has decreased as the standards have lowered.
I’m not convinced that standards have been lowered, rather you need to know more for the same job. I could never get my first job now with what I knew then. I’ve been in the high tech industry almost 40 years and you absolutely need to know more to fill the same role than you did even 10 years ago. So many jobs have become so specialized that we have to up our requirements from what we would have written then. It’s counterproductive in some ways because by the time you’re effective you’re so specialized you have a tough time trying something new in the same company and have to look for another firm that has a niche for you to fit into. It’s very discouraging, especially for recent college graduates.

May 11, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #93,033 of 154,166
Those are soooo COOOOOOL! I truly mean this. They are neato! And yes, I am comfortable with the term/word, "neato". :beerchug:

El Toado Verde with ENVY!
Those are soooo COOOOOOL! I truly mean this. They are neato! And yes, I am comfortable with the term/word, "neato". :beerchug:

El Toado Verde with ENVY!
Why thank you ORT.

To me they were the automotive equivalent of what Schiit are doing in hi-fi; they were superbly engineered, styling that was not flamboyant, but more purposeful (ok, ok, red sports car, I know), and like Schiit's gear, were unbelievable value for money. Particularly as I was able to spend days driving them for fun over the upland roads of Wales, Northern England and especially Scotland.

A friend who'd owned the Italian and German exotics that we've all looked at longingly, and who knew how to push them took the Toyota out to explore what it could do. His verdict was that it was 95% of the fun of his Porsche for 30% of the price, because the Toyota came alive above 55 mph, but the Porsche only came alive above 120; and as he said, how often do you get above 120?

And yes, "neato" works for me too.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #93,034 of 154,166
I had a 1995 Civic EX Coupe with a Jackson Racing Supercharger. Gave it to my Brother after my son was born.

I have a 2018 Focus ST now
My sister is a radiologist and has an RS. She got it for retail back when they went for 10k over list

It is a fun car

IMG_20170702_154022.LP.jpg

May 11, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #93,035 of 154,166
I am jealous. I tried and tried to find an RS. Local dealers wanted 5K down just to order one with no idea when it would be built and what the final price would be. Kind of like it is now buying a new car.

May 11, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #93,036 of 154,166
May 11, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #93,037 of 154,166
About 6SN7 tubes in MJ2:
A couple of days ago I firred off this note to info@schiit.com:

“Currently on the HeadFi thread there are several examples of people using 6SN7 tubes in Mjolnir 2. (with adapters of course) I thought I had read earlier that this was not a good idea, as the heater requirements are different than the stock tubes.

Do I have that wrong? Is it a reasonable idea to use the 6SN7 tubes with MJ2?”

Tom E from Schiit does not identify the problem (others in this thread have),
but states clearly:

Tom E (Schiit Audio)
May 10, 2022, 5:03 PDT

Hello,

It is not recommended to use a 6SN7 tube with the Mjolnir 2. Mjolnir 2 accomodates any 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6N23P, and 6BZ7 tube types.
All the Best

Hope this helps
Noah

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #93,038 of 154,166
Hah! Perfect. 🤣

My current car is a 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo. Performance tires, but otherwise stock (for now).
No turbo lag and more torque than should be legal, pulls harder up a hill than most cars go downhill.
Like with all modern cars, the steering could be a little more communicative, but the thing carves canyons like nothing else I've ever owned before. An absolute blast to drive, and exactly the right size for me. Hot hatches are a dying breed, though.

I wish they would bring back a true hatchback version of the WRX, the thing they try to pass off as one currently is :BARF:

My sister is a radiologist and has an RS. She got it for retail back when they went for 10k over list

It is a fun car

IMG_20170702_154022.LP.jpg
Joining the hot hatch fun - VW Golf R here (DSG, its the daily not a weekend fun car). Same issue with getting it for list instead of markup back in 2018, plan is to go until 2034 or later on it.
115.jpeg

May 11, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #93,039 of 154,166
There is no substitute for a Wankel engine. The modern ones are even reliable and don’t blow out rotor tip seals like the old NSUs.

Thirsty as heck, though…

My daily driver since purchased new in 2005. I had no idea I'd still be driving it 17 years later. Possible rotary addiction? I mean what's not to love about an engine that's recommended to be redlined on a regular basis? 9250 RPM is just fun. :laughing:

(redline is technically 9k, but the rev limiter doesn't kick in until 9250 so close enough :laughing:)

RX8 May 2021.jpg

May 11, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #93,040 of 154,166
About 6SN7 tubes in MJ2:
A couple of days ago I firred off this note to info@schiit.com:

“Currently on the HeadFi thread there are several examples of people using 6SN7 tubes in Mjolnir 2. (with adapters of course) I thought I had read earlier that this was not a good idea, as the heater requirements are different than the stock tubes.

Do I have that wrong? Is it a reasonable idea to use the 6SN7 tubes with MJ2?”

Tom E from Schiit does not identify the problem (others in this thread have),
but states clearly:

Tom E (Schiit Audio)
May 10, 2022, 5:03 PDT

Hello,

It is not recommended to use a 6SN7 tube with the Mjolnir 2. Mjolnir 2 accomodates any 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6N23P, and 6BZ7 tube types.
All the Best

Hope this helps
Noah
Thanks for the info. Highly appreciated.

May 11, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #93,041 of 154,166
Joining the hot hatch fun - VW Golf R here (DSG, its the daily not a weekend fun car). Same issue with getting it for list instead of markup back in 2018, plan is to go until 2034 or later on it.
115.jpeg
Gosh, so many folk here own really cool cars and take excellent photos too! Thank you!

May 11, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #93,042 of 154,166

It is a fun car

Arkansas?! I have been there three or four times for work and I really liked it! I could not get my family to move there either, dammit! It is a beautiful state and every one I met there was great! I got lost and wound up across the river in Tennessee. It was getting dark and I was driving around with the windows down during the summer and people thought I was crazy but the AC was out. I finally stopped and asked for directions back to the bridge into Arkansas and the folks were great! The little town of Marion Arkansas was just fantastic for me!!

The folks in Tennesse said I had best leave soon as it was getting dark out and it could get dangerous for me being from (painfully obvious!) out of state. They asked where I was from and I said California. They laughed and said I really had better get out of there. It was all in fun and one fellow asked me to get out of the car and I did. He took a look at me an said I was "buff" and so would most likely not be bothered by any one there, LOL! A great guy and he then literally wrote out directions turn by turn of how to get back to and across the bridge. I was so grateful and thanked him profusely. Not since being in downtown Chicago decades ago visiting my wife's aunt had I met such helpful people! The folks in Chicago said I only had to be careful around the young folk but being a relative of Dorothy (my wife's aunt) who was well liked in her area and being (again) "buff" would keep me safe. I saw some of the folk in Chicago over the next week or so and they were all so wonderful to me!

I am rambling... Arkansas folk were just as wonderful to me during my weeks there. The middle of our Nation is the heart of our people and our people make our Nation great!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #93,043 of 154,166
My daily driver since purchased new in 2005. I had no idea I'd still be driving it 17 years later. Possible rotary addiction? I mean what's not to love about an engine that's recommended to be redlined on a regular basis? 9250 RPM is just fun. :laughing:

(redline is technically 9k, but the rev limiter doesn't kick in until 9250 so close enough :laughing:)

RX8 May 2021.jpg
I agree! Before I had to register the S2000 in CA this was my tag. I have a couple datalogs of hitting 11,000 RPM 🤣 on accident of course, thankfully I had upgraded valvetrain...
DSC_6723.png

May 11, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #93,045 of 154,166
I agree! Before I had to register the S2000 in CA this was my tag. I have a couple datalogs of hitting 11,000 RPM 🤣 on accident of course, thankfully I had upgraded valvetrain...
DSC_6723.png
The S2000 had basically a motorcycle engine in it, didn't it? A buddy of mine had one and it would wind up fast. I rode in it with him once, and once was all it took to reassure myself I was only mildly insane behind the wheel...he was full-tilt bonkers insane. :laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back