Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #92,596 of 150,704
image.jpg
What you see here, ladies, is a pair of re-branded GEs in a Mjolnir, sweetening my Friday afternoon coding sesh'.

Feel free to ignore that almost comically dumb looking stack of two socket savers and a converter that’s necessary to get this to work. And yes, I know that the converters’ pins need a wee bit of a trim. 😁
Ok I need to “borrow” that idea for my own use since I have a much larger collection of 6SN7’s 😜😜

May 6, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #92,597 of 150,704
Ok I need to “borrow” that idea for my own use since I have a much larger collection of 6SN7’s 😜😜
Sir, it's not the size that matters, it's the … uhm … the motion of the … uhm … the electrons, I guess? Schiit, I don't even know where I was going with this… 🤣

And yes, you should "borrow" that idea. I have yet to find an ECC88/E88CC/6922 that sounds more euphonic in the Mjolnir than even just a barely-above-mediocre 6SN7. Maaaaaaaaaybe the Genalex Gold Lion, but that's just about it.
(Incidentally the main reason why I'm not really all that thrilled about the idea of a nonal Freya+, if I'm honest. But to each their own, of course. And you can still Frankenstein your noval Freya+ into an octal one if push comes to shove, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

May 6, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #92,600 of 150,704
Post 92,590

May 6, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #92,601 of 150,704
I once used full range 6x9 speakers wired in reverse at low sound level for "ambiance recovery" in a coupe... made the cabin seem larger than it was without ruining the front stage.

I wired my rear speakers in a Hafler circuit. It sounded great. For a car...! :)

May 6, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #92,602 of 150,704
After 20+ years out of the game, I just jumped back in a couple months ago to add a sub to my car, now I'm in the process of upgrading the amp/DSP and speakers (front only, I removed the rears when I added the sub). 🤣
My second gen MINI now has 6x9 subs in the stock rear panel location. They were designed by Genesis for those cars. They provide plenty of bass for my preferences and take no additional space.

May 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #92,603 of 150,704
My second gen MINI now has 6x9 subs in the stock rear panel location. They were designed by Genesis for those cars. They provide plenty of bass for my preferences and take no additional space.
MINIs… in their element when not driving in a straight line. Hope it’s treated you well!

May 6, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #92,605 of 150,704
Tonight here it is Tea for the Tillerman

May 6, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #92,606 of 150,704
Tonight's choice is yet another one of those tired cliché "audiophile" picks, but I really don't care:

Arne Domnérus - Jazz at the Pawnshop (Remastered 2014)

(…as well as Jazz at the Pawnshop 2 and 3, of course…)
how is that mastering different than the 1986 CD version?

(added)
@ArmchairPhilosopher might as well add these two to the list:
Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat
Amanda McBroom, West of Oz (on a highly resolving system, the individual background vocalists on track 1 can be identified and localized)

also testing out some new DIY solderless (Belden 1505F / Canare RCAP-C42) interconnects this weekend. these being swapped for the previous older set also DIY (XLO Pro100 / re-purposed Monster RCA's), so expectation bias may be less of a factor.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #92,608 of 150,704
I wired my rear speakers in a Hafler circuit. It sounded great. For a car...! :)
Hafler circuit is AWESOME!!! Used it often in my teens with my cheap-ass 2-channel. Listening to Grover Washington was like I was right there in the venue.

May 6, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #92,610 of 150,704
how is that mastering different than the 1986 CD version?

(added)
@ArmchairPhilosopher might as well add these two to the list:
Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat
Amanda McBroom, West of Oz (on a highly resolving system, the individual background vocalists on track 1 can be identified and localized)

also testing out some new DIY solderless (Belden 1505F / Canare RCAP-C42) interconnects this weekend. these being swapped for the previous older set also DIY (XLO Pro100 / re-purposed Monster RCA's), so expectation bias may be less of a factor.
Famous Blue Raincoat by Warnes is a favorite Leonard Cohen cover.

Naturally I own all the tools for the Canare connectors, I have worked with them for years as well as the flexible version of 1505.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back