Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #92,581 of 150,687
May 6, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #92,582 of 150,687
He played the waiter in the 1967 version or are you talking a previous appearance?
There was no previous version AFAIK, the orginal was in 'Not the 1948 Show' and BC was the waiter at the start of the sketch. He is also the only Yorkshireman, born in Leeds.

May 6, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #92,584 of 150,687
Sometimes I miss playing with car audio. And then I remember what a pain in the back it is.

The stereo in our CR-V is ok. Bass is surprisingly good. I would love to upgrade all of it but they’re making these things more complicated these days.
After 20+ years out of the game, I just jumped back in a couple months ago to add a sub to my car, now I'm in the process of upgrading the amp/DSP and speakers (front only, I removed the rears when I added the sub). 🤣

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #92,585 of 150,687
After 20+ years out of the game, I just jumped back in a couple months ago to add a sub to my car, now I'm in the process of upgrading the amp/DSP and speakers (front only, I removed the rears when I added the sub). 🤣
I once used full range 6x9 speakers wired in reverse at low sound level for "ambiance recovery" in a coupe... made the cabin seem larger than it was without ruining the front stage.

May 6, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #92,587 of 150,687
I once used full range 6x9 speakers wired in reverse at low sound level for "ambiance recovery" in a coupe... made the cabin seem larger than it was without ruining the front stage.
Interesting, never thought to try that. I always removed the rear speakers because it would mess up the staging, plus they would have been torn to pieces by the subs in the trunk anyway.
That was always step #0.1 for me.
Yup!

May 6, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #92,588 of 150,687
I love doing what I want when I want. Thus far I have made nine gifts for friends and family as well as getting my wife involved with a couple items. I can go back and read some of the books that were much too long for my book clubs, 1Q84 by Murakami is a great example.

It did take me about a month to adjust but all is well for me. You can spend your life thinking about investing and saving money but you finally reach a point where you should start spending; adjusting to that is a big change. :ksc75smile:
You can spend your life thinking about investing and saving money but you finally reach a point where you should start spending; adjusting to that is a big change.
No pun intended ...... of course !!!!

May 6, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #92,589 of 150,687
You can spend your life thinking about investing and saving money but you finally reach a point where you should start spending; adjusting to that is a big change.
No pun intended ...... of course !!!!
Of course. :ksc75smile:

May 6, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #92,590 of 150,687
Marshall Murphy apparently visited me to impose his law recently. I haven’t been listening to tubes on my Freya lately because it was making noise akin to a massive ship mast breaking in two and I couldn’t find the offending tube. I took another poke around today and found a keyway had broken off.
E8285C6F-7EAC-40E2-80CE-233D61A8907C.jpeg

Be careful out there.

May 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #92,591 of 150,687
Marshall Murphy apparently visited me to impose his law recently. I haven’t been listening to tubes on my Freya lately because it was making noise akin to a massive ship mast breaking in two and I couldn’t find the offending tube. I took another poke around today and found a keyway had broken off.
E8285C6F-7EAC-40E2-80CE-233D61A8907C.jpeg
Be careful out there.
GAH!!!!! I did that last week!!!! Took me 20 minutes of swearing to get it out!!! Tweezers are your friend here. Good luck!

May 6, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #92,592 of 150,687
Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #92,593 of 150,687
GAH!!!!! I did that last week!!!! Took me 20 minutes of swearing to get it out!!! Tweezers are your friend here. Good luck!
I had it happen once on a Freya so I got socket extenders to cut down on that happening. The extenders might be $7 each so they are more expendable. You can get replacement key ways.😉 As SuperRoo mentioned as I typed.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #92,594 of 150,687
[Snip]

I'm in the maximum "off-axis" seat right now, in my office, upstairs. All the sound up here is reflected at least twice, and yeah it's mono and yeah the soundstage is collapsed, but... it sounds so rich and full that it's hard to believe. I call it my off-axis test and IMHO it's more telling that sitting directly in the sweet spot in front of the speakers... but what do I know? :)

One of the best concepts I took away from (Stereophile/TAS/whatever) magazine was the LIAR test. I don't remember the reviewer, but I found it amusing that a high end Wi-Fi magazine would call something LIAR with a straight face.

LIAR - Listen In Another Room

The idea was that if you were in another room and the stereo rig could make you think there was a real instrument in there, things were good.

Obviously only really works for a subset of music instrumentation, but the idea stuck with me much longer than their tendency to bury the LEDE. :)

LEDE - Live End Dead End

May 6, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #92,595 of 150,687
image.jpg

What you see here, ladies, is a pair of re-branded GEs in a Mjolnir, sweetening my Friday afternoon coding sesh'.

Feel free to ignore that almost comically dumb looking stack of two socket savers and a converter that’s necessary to get this to work. And yes, I know that the converters’ pins need a wee bit of a trim. 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back