Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #90,617 of 150,704
Ai, des kansch aber laut sagen!
[You can say that again!]

One of the many, MANY reasons why I am an honest-to-god 'Murican nowadays. ;p

A real 'Murcan' would have dropped the redundant vowel by now.

:)
JC

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #90,619 of 150,704
Sorry, that just seems like a gross generalization to me. I've seen the internals of a recent KEF LS50s, a B&W Nautilus 802 and a Paradigm Reference 100. I saw nothing that would lead me to believe that any of those manufacturers took any shortcuts. And no bad solder joints, either. :)
Sure it is a generalisation, as most of the time to make a point.
Internal wiring is most likely thin awg 18-20 plain average wire and not fancy 6N OFC awg 12-14.
So piss poor in relation to the fancy costly audiophile speaker cabling at $$$$ per meter.
If you read all audio specs so literally it is a fearful world out there.

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #90,620 of 150,704
I got into Isoacoustic stands years ago. I ended up buying the small, medium, and large stands. Then I got the custom Modular stands for my subs. Finally, I picked up a used set of Gaia III feet for my towers at a great price. They all work well. I kinda want to get the Zazen platform for my turntable but it’s down a ways on my list. That reminds me, It’s been a while since I played the lottery.
I have my NS-1000M’s sitting on isopucks, my Stealth 8 sitting on the large stands, isopuck minis under my Freya, Freya+, endpoint and soon Tyr will get the isopucks.

I’d have thrown them under my DAC too if there was space.

I wanted the oreas for my amps but they are substantially higher priced than the isopucks.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #90,621 of 150,704
After I covered the entire front wall of my listening room with Auralex Studiofoam, I thought that I had it nailed... that helped tame the reflections, sure. But the real fix came from the home-made bass traps I put in the front corners of the room. They delivered a day and night difference in my situation.
Did you do your ceiling too? That made a big difference in mine.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #90,622 of 150,704
Not being a seafood lover, I don't have access to bass traps, but I've tried mouse traps in the corners. Didn't notice any improvement in the sound.

(Sorry - if I'm too new for such remarks, I'll keep quiet. :zipper_mouth:)
That was near-perfect, @AnotherBrick - keep up the good work and welcome. :sunglasses:

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #90,623 of 150,704
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #90,625 of 150,704
All those double entendres because I posted a photo of a piano… I'm sorry, I guess? 😬
Yeah, and worse, you didn't even tell us what cables that piano was using. Tease. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #90,626 of 150,704
Wait, Tyr comes with tubes now? ;p
I thought Folkvangr was the one that'll come with 5 lbs worth of tubes… 🤣
There's a label on the Tyr tube box with 'Nyah Nyah Nyah' printed on it. :laughing:

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #90,627 of 150,704
Yeah, and worse, you didn't even tell us what cables that piano was using. Tease. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
As you can see in the photo, it's actually wireless; not unlike much of Schiit's gear in their product pics, which also magically works without any wires.
(I'm still trying to figure out how they do that, by the way. I just can't get this wireless Schiit to work on my end, no matter what I try. So weird.)

It even came with a pianist!
(Not pictured, obviously. You'll just have to trust me on that one.)

For the 0.2% of you who are interested: It was a concert by Tiffany Poon at the Herbst Theatre [sic; obnoxiously snotty spelling as intended by the venue's owners] in San Francisco. She's nothing short of amazing. Tiffany, I mean. The theatre was just ok.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #90,628 of 150,704
On room tuning.

You don't need to turn your room into an anechoic chamber. It's about first reflections. With time patience and an assistant it's easy to find those points. On each wall, ceiling, and floor there will be one point for each tweeter. Sit in your primo listening position, have some body run a mirror along the walls, ceiling (a little tricky but can be done with a rube goldberg'd mirror on a long handle at 90 degrees), and the floor. When you see each tweeter centered on the mirror from your listening position on the walls and ceiling those will be the point of first reflection in a typical room and where I would place some absorbent acoustic treatment. If the floor is bare wood those points could go with a throw rug. Depending on how close to the rear wall the speakers sit you may want something on the wall behind them. I went with something like this between the speakers on my rear wall, seemed to enhance the centerfill of the image. Something like this directly behind your listening position might be nice too.
1649203685645.png

Dipoles are a bit trickier because of the rear wave, but are usually out from the wall anyway so that rear wave will take a longer route around and treatment may or may not be wanted. With box speakers unless there is tweeter on the back of the box (and I'm pretty sure my Mirage M1's in the distant past had one plus a midrange) I wouldn't worry about any reflections as the route those waves take shouldn't interfere with the front waves.

Bass traps helped me with issues that can develop at corners when wave cancellations and wave reinforcements (eigentones) making the sound thin or thick or lead to dead spots depending on where you sit in a room.

That's the way I set up various speakers I owned over the years when I had a home with a dedicated listening room. I found getting those first reflections under control makes for sharper imaging and better depth of the sound field. Especially in smaller rooms where the reflected 1st waves can cause a blur with the direct wave from the tweeters as the two signals arrive very close together time wise at your ears.

There is also a rule of thirds which says you divide the width of the room by 3 and that's typically the best place to position the speakers. Avoid placement numbers divisible by 2 if possible.

That's the sum total of my experience in room tuning.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #90,629 of 150,704
On room tuning.

You don't need to turn your room into an anechoic chamber. It's about first reflections. With time patience and an assistant it's easy to find those points. On each wall, ceiling, and floor there will be one point for each tweeter. Sit in your primo listening position, have some body run a mirror along the walls, ceiling (a little tricky but can be done with a rube goldberg'd mirror on a long handle at 90 degrees), and the floor. When you see each tweeter centered on the mirror from your listening position on the walls and ceiling those will be the point of first reflection in a typical room and where I would place some absorbent acoustic treatment. If the floor is bare wood those points could go with a throw rug. Depending on how close to the rear wall the speakers sit you may want something on the wall behind them. I went with something like this between the speakers on my rear wall, seemed to enhance the centerfill of the image.
1649203685645.png
Dipoles are a bit trickier because of the rear wave, but are usually out from the wall anyway so that rear wave will take a longer route around and treatment may or may not be wanted.

Bass traps helped me with issues that can develop at corners when wave cancellations and wave reinforcements (eigentones) making the sound thin or thick or lead to dead spots depending on where you sit in a room.

That's the way I set up various speakers I owned over the years when I had a home with a dedicated listening room. I found getting those first reflections under control makes for sharper imaging and better depth of the sound field. Especially in smaller rooms where the reflected 1st waves can cause a blur with the direct wave from the tweeters as the two signals arrive very close together time wise at your ears.

There is also a rule of thirds which says you divide the width of the room by 3 and that's typically the best place to position the speakers. Avoid placement numbers divisible by 2 if possible.

That's the sum total of my experience in room tuning.
Many can learn from your wisdom.😁

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #90,630 of 150,704
I’ve tried the Cardas method, thirds, quarters, etc. But if you want your speakers to disappear, LOTS has been the most effective for me. The only downside is that it usually requires you to pull the speakers further away from the walls than some might like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back