Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #90,601 of 150,704
Everyone remember to order your Tyrs separately. You will get upcharged for shipping if you order them in pairs on the same order even though they go out the door as separate items with separate tracking numbers.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #90,602 of 150,704
Dude any speaker system applies. Any brand, any price.
Sorry, that just seems like a gross generalization to me. I've seen the internals of a recent KEF LS50s, a B&W Nautilus 802 and a Paradigm Reference 100. I saw nothing that would lead me to believe that any of those manufacturers took any shortcuts. And no bad solder joints, either. :)

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #90,603 of 150,704
It's amazing how much the room matters in having a good 2 channel or home theater system. I never really believed it until I heard $1000 worth of equipment in a properly setup room that totally blew me away. After that I added similar treatments to my room and holy crap what a difference it made!
After I covered the entire front wall of my listening room with Auralex Studiofoam, I thought that I had it nailed... that helped tame the reflections, sure. But the real fix came from the home-made bass traps I put in the front corners of the room. They delivered a day and night difference in my situation.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #90,605 of 150,704
After I covered the entire front wall of my listening room with Auralex Studiofoam, I thought that I had it nailed... that helped tame the reflections, sure. But the real fix came from the home-made bass traps I put in the front corners of the room. They delivered a day and night difference in my situation.
Not being a seafood lover, I don't have access to bass traps, but I've tried mouse traps in the corners. Didn't notice any improvement in the sound.

(Sorry - if I'm too new for such remarks, I'll keep quiet. :zipper_mouth:)

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #90,606 of 150,704
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 9.49.44 AM.png
100lbs?! I feel cheated…

Wait, no. I figured it out: Tyr's filled with helium.
Seriously, what would explain it? That's a large deviation from the spec for the product, which doesn't even include the weight of packaging.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.13.00 PM.png

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #90,607 of 150,704
Seriously, what would explain it? That's a large deviation from the spec for the product, which doesn't even include the weight of packaging.

My best guess would be that Schiit might accidentally have rounded down the weight they declared with FedEx a tiny little bit with the totally accidental and unexpected outcome of getting a lower shipping rate for these monsters.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #90,608 of 150,704
Everyone remember to order your Tyrs separately. You will get upcharged for shipping if you order them in pairs on the same order even though they go out the door as separate items with separate tracking numbers.
Originally I wanted to state that this is not the case for international orders.

But in order to compare both shipping options today I found out that the shipping rate is different from when I ordered a week ago.

I paid $333.15 shipping for two Tyrs to Europe.

Today shipping costs $348,96 for two Tyrs.

Anyway, it's cheaper to order both at once than separately - in my case.

I am just very afraid of customs.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #90,609 of 150,704
Not being a seafood lover, I don't have access to bass traps, but I've tried mouse traps in the corners. Didn't notice any improvement in the sound.

(Sorry - if I'm too new for such remarks, I'll keep quiet. :zipper_mouth:)
You will fit in nicely here! :D

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #90,611 of 150,704
Not gonna go there. :D

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #90,612 of 150,704
Apr 5, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #90,613 of 150,704
Well until I continue the search for different ones. I was eyeing some better looking ones but I couldn’t find any in my price range at the correct height in decent condition. Then I happen to be at the hardware store and saw these for around $20-25 each and the height was only 1/4” off. Close enough for government work and affordable. That and the natural pine look matches the other shelf’s I bought from the same store.

(Old pic but you get the idea)

I’ve used isoacoustic stands/pucks since 2014 or so and I keep going back to them. They don’t break the bank and I feel they work well.

I got into Isoacoustic stands years ago. I ended up buying the small, medium, and large stands. Then I got the custom Modular stands for my subs. Finally, I picked up a used set of Gaia III feet for my towers at a great price. They all work well. I kinda want to get the Zazen platform for my turntable but it’s down a ways on my list. That reminds me, It’s been a while since I played the lottery.

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #90,614 of 150,704
All those double entendres because I posted a photo of a piano… I'm sorry, I guess? 😬

Anyway, it's cheaper to order both at once than separately - in my case.

I am just very afraid of customs.

Well, shipping stuff is weird, no matter where you ship stuff to.
Shipping one 50 pound Tyr via FedEx 265 miles north? ~35 bucks.
Shipping two 50 pound Tyrs via FedEx 265 miles north? ~103 bucks.
Still two boxes, still the same amount of work for FedEx to handle the boxes, the same weight to lug around, but almost exactly 3x the price.
Split it up into two separate orders, and FedEx still has the same work to do, but incurs slightly higher cost for the additional, second transaction, instead of just the one.
I'm sure FedEx (or whoever Schiit's shipping retailer may be) has some very good reasons for this kind of pricing scheme. It's a very precise science, this shipping business, you and I, we're just not smart enough to understand.

As for customs, I'm not sure what you're afraid of. Customs in the EU is actually really simple:
Once the shipment has cleared customs, it'll be delivered to you. The shipper will either ask you to pay on delivery (and if you're in Germany and have to deal with DHL, they'll expect you to have the precise amount on hand in cash, but without telling you anything whatsoever beforehand about a) when you can expect them to deliver and b) how much in customs will be due exactly), or if you're lucky they'll send you a bill in the mail a week or two after delivery. Which one it'll be largely depends on who'll cover delivery in your country.

Guesstimating the customs fees themselves is relatively easy, too: You take what you paid for your gear, plus any taxes, plus shipping, and that's the value of your shipment. Then you convert that into Euro, and add whatever value added tax your country has for audio gear right now (19% for example in Germany), plus whatever rate your country adds in customs fees (in Germany, and to the best of my knowledge, that would be 4.5% for example).
Pretty much the only variable in this whole process is that you can't really predict the USD to Euro conversion rate because you don't know at what point in time customs will do the conversion. But it should still give you a pretty good idea about what you'll have to expect in customs fees.
So let's say you're in Germany and you paid a total of 3,731.15$ for your two Tyrs (3,398.00$, plus the 333.15$ in shipping that you said you paid). Right this second, that converts to about 3,378.56€. Germany's Mehrwertsteuer (VAT) is 19%, and the import duties are 4.5%. So you should expect a customs bill of roughly 784 Euro, give or take.

(Edit: I'm not sure if Schiit has to add Valencia's sales tax to the 3,398$ for your two Tyrs when it's an international transaction. I believe that they don't, but I could be wrong. If they did, you'd have to add that to your shipment's value before you can convert it into Euro and my numbers in the paragraph above would have to be adjusted up by Valencia's sales tax rate. Essentially, just use the amount you got as the total on your order, that'll be the number your country's customs will use as the basis for their calculations.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back