Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #87,632 of 150,790
My HD6XX are offended. :frowning2:

** Sure an OTL tube amp like Valhalla sings with 300 ohm Senns, but the Lyr 3 is no slouch.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #87,633 of 150,790
As you can see in my sig I've got a schiitpile of Schiit all purchased since May 2016. The only piece I ever had a problem with was Jot 2 that arrived with volume knob shaft misaligned so bad I couldn't turn it past the 1 o'clock position as it would bind against the front face plate. Didn't figure out whether the shaft was bent or the pot was cockeyed. I sent an e-mail, they shipped a replacement as soon as they got my e-mailed with the tracking number for the return of the damaged unit. 4 days later and I had a brand new, issue free unit.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #87,634 of 150,790
Delete.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #87,635 of 150,790
Would you say the Lyr 3 is not good for HD600?
I wouldn't. The Lyr 3 has more than plenty of grunt for my HD-6XX's which have similar sensitivity.

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #87,636 of 150,790
Had an issue with my Schiit Fulla 2, sent an email to Schiit, they got back to me :)
Suggested I try their "DAC problem" guide, tried swapping cables, Fulla now works :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #87,637 of 150,790
So please tell me about the difference between Saga and Lyr. Not the features, the sound. I am well acquainted with the features, having just purchased a Saga 2+. I was advised here that a Lyr was better, but I wanted remote control and multiple inputs and multiple outputs and I had a DAC. So I bought the Saga, but people wax eloquent about the sound of the Lyr. They look to be about the same thing - one tube, the same tube. Same size box. What is different about the Lyr? I am not having buyer's remorse, I love the Saga. Just curious.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #87,638 of 150,790
So please tell me about the difference between Saga and Lyr. Not the features, the sound. I am well acquainted with the features, having just purchased a Saga 2+. I was advised here that a Lyr was better, but I wanted remote control and multiple inputs and multiple outputs and I had a DAC. So I bought the Saga, but people wax eloquent about the sound of the Lyr. They look to be about the same thing - one tube, the same tube. Same size box. What is different about the Lyr? I am not having buyer's remorse, I love the Saga. Just curious.
I own both. I love my Saga+ but when I got my Lyr 3 I tried swapping them. To my ears the Lyr is more dynamic and a little cleaner. It also plays quite a bit louder because it is putting out those extra watts. I use my Saga in the living room where I have multiple inputs and need a remote. I use my Lyr in my office which is where I usually listen to music and my best speakers are. I listen thru FIIO FH3 IEMs, Hifiman Sundaras and speakers via my Vidar in the office. The Lyr handles all of those really well. The only input I need in the office is PC to Modius to Lyr although I am planning on replacing the Modius with a Bifrost 2 soonish.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #87,639 of 150,790
The difference is Saga is a preamp and Lyr is an amp. Apples and oranges. You may use Lyr as a sort of preamp for a outboard amplifier, but that is not its primary function. It drives headphones. Saga does not drive headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #87,640 of 150,790
even though the Saga+ and Lyr 3 use the same tube, part of the sound difference results from the circuit topology and overall loop gain. For Saga+, the voltage gain is fixed Av=1 (0dB), but switchable on Lyr 3 between 7.5 (17.5dB) and 1.5 (3.5dB). Saga+ lower overall gain means higher feedback, so it will sound 'less tubey' than Lyr 3 (which will be more tubey on the higher gain setting vs the lower gain setting).

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #87,641 of 150,790
even though the Saga+ and Lyr 3 use the same tube, part of the sound difference results from the circuit topology and overall loop gain. For Saga+, the voltage gain is fixed Av=1 (0dB), but switchable on Lyr 3 between 7.5 (17.5dB) and 1.5 (3.5dB). Saga+ lower overall gain means higher feedback, so it will sound 'less tubey' than Lyr 3 (which will be more tubey on the higher gain setting vs the lower gain setting).
This is very helpful. I’m feeding a tube amp with the Saga. So stuff is pretty tubey already.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #87,642 of 150,790
Would you say the Lyr 3 is not good for HD600?
Not at all, that’s backwards. What I said, or tried hard to (bourbon may have been involved, was trying a corn whiskey from TX - Balcones) was that Valhalla, as an OTL tube amp is really well suited to high impedance headphones. Obv, the most well known are the 300 ohm Sennys, followed by the high impedance Beyers. But with the gain switch, it certainly plays well with others. I’ve heard it with planars (my DCA open Aeon 2s), and my HD6xx. The 6xx were as good as I have ever heard them, smooth, detailed and with a great deep and wide soundstage. The Aeons were ok, but lacked some detail, and I justdid not prefer them.

Lyr drives darn near anything, but I have mostly planars (DCA and Hifiman), and it treats them beautifully. Does very well with the HD6xx as well. I just think that Valhalla is meant forhigh impedance cans, tomy old ears.

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #87,643 of 150,790
I know the conversation has moved past 3D printers, but I thought I would share a 3D printing project I made for my daughter. She wanted a unique iPhone speaker for her dorm room at college, so I came up with an “acoustic impedance matching device”, othewise known as a horn. I used a Tractix horn (because the math was pretty simple). Long story short, it works really well. I printed it on a Raise3D Pro2+ in 3 parts. Plastic is ABS. I used plain vanilla Autocad, which probably made it a lot more challenging than it should have been, but it’s what I had.

8E7FDBD3-08AF-45A3-95F5-36029D1B0FB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #87,644 of 150,790
Not at all, that’s backwards. What I said, or tried hard to (bourbon may have been involved, was trying a corn whiskey from TX - Balcones) was that Valhalla, as an OTL tube amp is really well suited to high impedance headphones. Obv, the most well known are the 300 ohm Sennys, followed by the high impedance Beyers. But with the gain switch, it certainly plays well with others. I’ve heard it with planars (my DCA open Aeon 2s), and my HD6xx. The 6xx were as good as I have ever heard them, smooth, detailed and with a great deep and wide soundstage. The Aeons were ok, but lacked some detail, and I justdid not prefer them.

Lyr drives darn near anything, but I have mostly planars (DCA and Hifiman), and it treats them beautifully. Does very well with the HD6xx as well. I just think that Valhalla is meant forhigh impedance cans, tomy old ears.
Thanks, I've tried the Valhalla 2 in the past and it just generated too much heat for the Florida climate. May try Lyr 3 in the future.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #87,645 of 150,790
I know the conversation has moved past 3D printers, but I thought I would share a 3D printing project I made for my daughter. She wanted a unique iPhone speaker for her dorm room at college, so I came up with an “acoustic impedance matching device”, othewise known as a horn. I used a Tractix horn (because the math was pretty simple). Long story short, it works really well. I printed it on a Raise3D Pro2+ in 3 parts. Plastic is ABS. I used plain vanilla Autocad, which probably made it a lot more challenging than it should have been, but it’s what I had.

8E7FDBD3-08AF-45A3-95F5-36029D1B0FB0.jpeg
Very nice, but she might not want to watch the Star Trek "The Game" episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back