Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #87,601 of 149,156
I think your points about pitch impacting tempo, dynamics, and phrasing are extremely deep and open onto the basic questions of musical interpretation. I appreciate your forcing me to sit with them. I wonder whether the answers are to some degree unknowable, particularly if the artist is dead.

I'm reminded of the harpsichordists vs the pianists on Bach. Is it Bach if you're playing it on an instrument he never imagined? Or to choose a directer analogue - European pitch varied wildly before A=440 became the international standard, with artists as eminent as Verdi joining the c=256 movement. Is Furtwängler's 440 Otello really Otello, if Verdi wanted 432?

I think that historically informed performances are extremely rich and rewarding, and the movement has produced a lot of knowledge that's deeply worthwhile and gratifying. But I think it also has its limits, and that we modify recordings all the time, through the tuning of DACs, amps, and transducers—to say nothing of the great EQ revolution currently underway. I think that the artifice of listening to the Mass in B minor with my KSE1500 while jetting across the Atlantic should not be lost either.

I don't necessarily think that Bach is unknowable or unreachable outside the Sunday morning pews of an eighteenth-century Lutheran church. But I think the comparison gives us some context around the acoustic re-production of sound. And as always, Jason's Scotch Mod is an important baseline: we are ourselves so changeable and subjective, day to day, hour to hour, that objective experience will always be a challenging hill.

This kind of pitch alteration is a novel change, and one I'm grateful to Mike for championing. But it's just one of many ways we remove ourselves from composition and from performance.
I used to be a big Christopher Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music fan and it’s been a long time. I haven’t been anticipating the Gadget up until now but the idea of rediscovering those albums has got me a little psyched. I have no idea if he played with pitch.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #87,602 of 149,156
I got nothing against MQA, I simply don't like being forced to have it placed in my equipment and then charging me for it to boot.
I've made it known that I dislike MQA for many reasons. Having said that, I wouldn't turn my back on a piece of equipment just because it has MQA. In fact, my new DAC supports DSD even though I have no interest in that aspect of the DAC.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #87,603 of 149,156
Hello - have the itch to update things - "upgrade", if you will, from an Asgard 3... Have been thinking of either Valhalla or Jotunheim, leaning towards Valhalla, given that my preamp is an OG Saga, no balanced in/outs... so thinking for the Jot to be worth it, would have to take care of that first... and happy with the Saga... so harder to justify... Anyone has both (or the 3) ? Will going from the Asgard 3 to the Valhalla make a difference? or what about the Lyr? What would be the logical next step after the Asgard 3 ?

Thanks!

hammers

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #87,604 of 149,156
I've made it known that I dislike MQA for many reasons. Having said that, I wouldn't turn my back on a piece of equipment just because it has MQA. In fact, my new DAC supports DSD even though I have no interest in that aspect of the DAC.
I'll pay for MQA if there is a piece of gear that is compelling for some other reason, like a cheap digital audio player I need for hard to drive portable cans has it and .... I don't know, it might be on an old mp3 player or tv or something.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #87,605 of 149,156
Well, Jason *did* say they're going to slay some cows. So all the Class D aversion may be a smokescreen. Actually I very much doubt it but you never know.
I seriously doubt class D amps will ever be sold by Schiit.

Jason is firmly in the A/B camp 🙏

His excursion into op amps was more of a 'sure, I can make measurement gear to get you off my back, but discreet output is what defines our real crap'. (single quote marks denote that this is only speculation on my part and not a real quote.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #87,606 of 149,156
I seriously doubt class D amps will ever be sold by Schiit.

Jason is firmly in the A/B camp 🙏

His excursion into op amps was more of a 'sure, I can make measurement gear to get you off my back, but discreet output is what defines our real crap'. (single quote marks denote that this is only speculation on my part and not a real quote.

So, no hope we will see Class D monoblocks from Schiit at $250 a pop? :D
hammers

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #87,607 of 149,156
So, no hope we will see Class D monoblocks from Schiit at $250 a pop? :D
hammers
More likely op amp mono blocks @ $400 each (pure speculation on my part).

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #87,609 of 149,156
Hello - have the itch to update things - "upgrade", if you will, from an Asgard 3... Have been thinking of either Valhalla or Jotunheim, leaning towards Valhalla, given that my preamp is an OG Saga, no balanced in/outs... so thinking for the Jot to be worth it, would have to take care of that first... and happy with the Saga... so harder to justify... Anyone has both (or the 3) ? Will going from the Asgard 3 to the Valhalla make a difference? or what about the Lyr? What would be the logical next step after the Asgard 3 ?

Thanks!

hammers
what headphones, what is your source, DAC, and preferred music genres? also, what aspects of A3 are you trying to 'improve'?

IMO cheap Class-D monoblocks to be used with a wide variety of speakers will be just that, cheap cost, and cheap sound. With Class D, the highly reactive load (multiple reactive components in the crossover & drivers themselves) needs to be tightly defined (more than just "8 ohms compatible") in order to optimize the high-frequency passive filter components needed for pure class D operation. also, offering such a configuration with a digital input only has some possible advantages vs an analog input class D amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #87,612 of 149,156
what headphones, what is your source, DAC, and preferred music genres? also, what aspects of A3 are you trying to 'improve'?

Mani OG, Bifrost 2, Saga OG, Asgard 3

Headphones: AKG 712 Pro, 7XX Drop, Hifiman Drop 5XX, Hifiman Ananda, Hifiman 400i OG, Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro, DT-17XX Drop, DT-700 Pro X, DT-770 Pro. Love all of them, do not keep things that I don't like... had the AKG K550; they looked impressive but were just too much in the treble. In general the 712 Pro and the 7XX are the first AKGs I liked; all other models sounded too "thin" for me... Same with Grados... I keep buying them, given them a chance... and always end up selling them; stopped at the 325i. As you can see from my can list, I am not a bass head... but come on... at least something! :D

Music, the typical Gen-Xer, borderline Boomer: Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock (mostly Prog, actually)

Improve? Not really - I like what I have... I just have the itch to change something. I almost ordered the Valhalla... almost without thinking... partly because as of yesterday, no wait... but then I stopped and decided to check in whether it will be worth my while...

The choice was either change the amplification....or, believe it or not, give Grado another chance.. maybe the RS1x or RS2x :D

hammers

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #87,613 of 149,156
re: Gadget. I believe Mike said that the magic (and the challenge) of the device is that it does not alter the tempo nor dynamics of the recording, it just applies the pitch shift.
My recollection about the Gadget is that they planned it to have both adjustable dynamics and pitch shift (not sure about tempo). DSP pitch shift is already widely used in pro audio and music production. I believe Mike wanted to apply it in some unique way.

Pianos, please. Harpsichords give me an odd desire to waltz off a cliff.
Sir Thomas Beecham (English conductor)'s description of a harpsichord: "the sound of two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm.”

I used to be a big Christopher Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music fan and it’s been a long time. I haven’t been anticipating the Gadget up until now but the idea of rediscovering those albums has got me a little psyched. I have no idea if he played with pitch.
He certainly did — lower (than modern) pitch is one of the core doctrines of the period instrument/HIP (historically informed performance) movement. HIP ensembles typically have tuning in the lower 400s, sometimes even below 400 (Peter Wispelwey used 392 tuning in his most recent Bach Cello Suites).

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #87,614 of 149,156
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #87,615 of 149,156
Nope. Hard nope.

This is entirely akin to:

Gasoline-powered cars may be for others, but they are not for us. It is that simple. If you want gas-powered cars, there are plenty of other products out there.

Well, considering @Jason Stoddard recently bought a gas-powered mid-engine Corvette, and let us know how much he enjoyed driving it from CA to TX, there is a bit of tongue-in-cheek there. That being said, and considering @Baldr is the "digital" guy, I believe him when he says no class-D for Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back