Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #86,086 of 155,141
I've read plenty of Hardy Boys and Edgar Rice Burroughs too (and Robert E. Howard). Nothing wrong in that. I've also read through the World Book encyclopedias as well. I sometimes feel they were a better education than school...! :laughing:
I probably should explain that I had four older siblings and I was always trying to keep up with them and I have always loved to read.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #86,088 of 155,141
I have over 500 films on laser disc, including "Song of the South" and all three original, untouched-up Star Wars films, "The Egyptian", several Criterion Editions and more. I am a fan of film. Of late the films of Veronica Lake appeal to me and of course I have "I Married A Witch" and "Sullivan's Travels". But...

Enough talk and back to reading. Be well.

Same here with the Star Wars and Song of the South. Laser disc is the only way to watch those films in their original form, outside VHS. Still have a working player too.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #86,089 of 155,141
I read the World Book, but often preferred Funk & Wagnall's. I didn't hit the Britannica until Jr. High. 😁
Ok a book related question for you and @StimpyWan.

A set of encyclopedias sits on a shelf in a library. A book worm lives inside them and can eat through the pages and book covers at the rate of one inch per hour. Pages in each book are one inch thick, covers are 1/4 inch thick. How long does it take the bookworm to eat from the first page of volume one to the last page of volume two? 😎

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #86,090 of 155,141

A set of encyclopedias sits on a shelf in a library. A book worm lives inside them and can eat through the pages and book covers at the rate of one inch per hour. Pages in each book are one inch thick, covers are 1/4 inch thick. How long does it take the bookworm to eat from the first page of volume one to the last page of volume two? 😎
Maybe 2.5 hours, unless there's barbecue sauce involved...

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #86,091 of 155,141
Maybe 2.5 hours, unless there's barbecue sauce involved...
That is the answer most people give but unfortunately it is incorrect. The answer is a half hour, but why?

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #86,094 of 155,141

half hour if stacked on the shelf (vol 1 to the left of vol 2 so just 2 covers to chew through) FWIW, i did not read the subsequent posts prior to answering.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #86,095 of 155,141

Is it a NC book worm? If so, everything has to be soaked in vinegar, before it'll start eating. Plus, if there's beer involved, we could be here all night...!

istockphoto-97404219-1024x1024.jpg

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #86,096 of 155,141
half hour if stacked on the shelf (vol 1 to the left of vol 2 so just 2 covers to chew through) FWIW, i did not read the posts after the question prior to answering.
I have had people pull books off a shelf, look at them from left to right and argue with me lol. Being on a shelf in a library means they are of course turned around.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #86,097 of 155,141
half hour if stacked on the shelf (vol 1 to the left of vol 2 so just 2 covers to chew through) FWIW, i did not read the posts after the question prior to answering.
Very good! My daughter in law got it right because she is from another country, she asked if the pages went left to right or right to left.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #86,098 of 155,141

1/2 hour :) assuming the worm didn't stop to read the signature on the first page.... question: exactly how *did* the worm "start" at page one?? you are obviously an evil mean person...... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #86,099 of 155,141
I read the World Book, but often preferred Funk & Wagnall's. I didn't hit the Britannica until Jr. High. 😁

I am a product of Mad Magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back