Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #8,506 of 150,572

Actually, I take it all back. The secret is in the review of the Yggy:

"I felt like I had a front row seat to this concert right in my listening room. The only thing that could have made this experience more realistic is if the Yggdrasil had a scratch-n-sniff option. Emanating the scent of freshly cut Spruce would have sent me over the edge."

Jason is going to be releasing a scratch-n-sniff amplifier: the real Schiit BM.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #8,507 of 150,572
$55,000 Sennheisers , 

Jude maxed-out on adjectives in the first moments, Missile Silo's for the tubes ( Stoddard's description ), knobs are motorized too, lid motorized, Michelangelo Marble, Gold and lots of other best-of stuff.  

Only enough production for Billionaires and Royals but which House do you keep it in?

Or is it gonna be something for the HighEnd Dealers?, a 50 point item, one to show + 3 to go.  The dealer sells the big Wilsons with $100,000 worth of Amps and a Yggy with these Sennheisers being an Add-On item along with the $50,000 Cabling from MIT or Transparent. 

It is bragging though, what other outfit can say that people will spend that kind of money on their headphones? ( Does V-Moda's Platinum Shields count here, or Gold Shields with diamonds? )

I'm putting this to rest as Bragging Rights, I took a curious look and am moving on.  

Jude can have the thing in his Paris bedroom with Jurassic flower fragrances, I'll order a Festool Kapax Saw & portable stand for one twentieth the price and make a beautiful plinth for my Asgard 2.

Tony in Michigan

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #8,508 of 150,572
Jason said they don't want to do Class D (sorry, I can't find the link) but if there's an analog category that can be dissed like that, that's the one. For every other kind of analog amplification the phrase would be, "That (product segment) is so last century."

It was from Chapter 9.

2015, Chapter 9:
Hints, Teases, and Solicitations

What We’re Playing With, Thinking About, or Otherwise Dreaming Of

• Speaker amps. The hardest thing here is doing something meaningful…for a non-eye-bleeding price. Do we shoot above Emotiva (in price) with big, heavy, impressive boxes filled nifty circlotron designs and intelligent amp management? Or do we try to go head-to-head with this behemoth price-wise, but with smaller and more efficient amplifier designs (think small Class AB, not D, think fan)? Neither approach is particularly appealing. Above Emotiva, there’s about ten billion small manufacturers, all with their own spin…and some with very compelling products. At Emotiva, well, there’s Emotiva. Would something that doesn’t look big and impressive sell well against their iron? I don’t know. If you have thoughts, I’ll be glad to listen.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #8,509 of 150,572
Quote:Jason Stoddard
 There's always a different way to do it. Hell, there are millions of different ways to do it. Some will be better. Some will be worse. 

The secret of success seems to finding much more of the better and much less of the worse in the perspective of the majority of your prospective clientelle.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #8,510 of 150,572

I didn't give up because it was a "chick book".   Plenty of "chicks" gave up partway through, it is commonly known to be terribly written.

I was a pot boiler for mass consumption, mostly romantically inclined females.  The author herself admitted that she plagiarized her ideas from other sources.  It doesn't meet hardly anyone's criteria for critically acclaimed or classic literature, which was kinda Jason's point, only commercially successful, which any dime novel can do.  And if it is so commonly known to be terribly written, which it was, why did you pick it up?

Again, wasting your time on even 25% of that book is on you, given what it is.    

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #8,512 of 150,572
Nov 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #8,513 of 150,572

Thanks,

A creator of lower quality stuff that wins the race to the Land Fill.

Never heard the term.

One that everyone has heard is the product reviewers say'n "I have to say".  They do have to say, they'd better or else.   When I hear or read a reviewer say'n it I know it's a "Paid-for" review. Maybe "I have to say" is a type of Pot Boiler. 

Tony in Michigan

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #8,514 of 150,572
  The secret of success seems to finding much more of the better and much less of the worse in the perspective of the majority of your prospective clientelle.  
wink_face.gif

Oh gawd, you have no idea how many decisions we have to make--and almost all are tradeoffs. Go down the rabbit hole of "everything has to be perfect" and you end up with an amp like the Ragnarok--huge, hot, expensive, complex, and years late. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but it's the reality. (For the record, I love Ragnarok--it is every bit as insane as Yggdrasil on the digital side.)

As a for-example, there was a new product I was working on over the summer, with an exciting new topology (but not as exciting as what's coming in 2016). There were at least a dozen major design decisions that would affect its performance. The temptation, of course, is to take the high road in all cases. But when you're looking at a (very) cost-constrained product, with some serious limitations on space and heat, there are tradeoffs that have to be made. I took the high road in a couple of those cases, and ended up with a fairly insane level of performance for the product. Could it have been even better? Yes, at 3x the cost and in 6x the space. But that wasn't in the cards. 

(And, I think you'll see that new product before the end if the year)

So...you make your choices...and hope, as you say, that more of them are the better ones and less are the worse.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #8,519 of 150,572

Oh gawd, you have no idea how many decisions we have to make--and almost all are tradeoffs. Go down the rabbit hole of "everything has to be perfect" and you end up with an amp like the Ragnarok--huge, hot, expensive, complex, and years late. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but it's the reality. (For the record, I love Ragnarok--it is every bit as insane as Yggdrasil on the digital side.)

As a for-example, there was a new product I was working on over the summer, with an exciting new topology (but not as exciting as what's coming in 2016). There were at least a dozen major design decisions that would affect its performance. The temptation, of course, is to take the high road in all cases. But when you're looking at a (very) cost-constrained product, with some serious limitations on space and heat, there are tradeoffs that have to be made. I took the high road in a couple of those cases, and ended up with a fairly insane level of performance for the product. Could it have been even better? Yes, at 3x the cost and in 6x the space. But that wasn't in the cards. 

(And, I think you'll see that new product before the end if the year)

So...you make your choices...and hope, as you say, that more of them are the better ones and less are the worse.

Just in time for the holidays!  ...a new 4W, Class A, Asgard 3 with "Moar Powah" that doubles as a space heater, fire log, or oil pan heater.  It glows a cheery red during use, spreading joy and holiday spirit to all within it's radiant glow.  Available with mesh cage option to surround it, avoiding spontaneous combustion of random curious cats and non-audiophile types that like to poke at things they don't understand.  "Space Shuttle" grade, heat-shielded stand-offs included, to avoid melting through non-flame retardant surfaces. Oh, and it's great for headphones too! (but we do recommend unplugging every 20-30 minutes to avoid possibly melting the sleeving off your cables.)

Day 1 purchase for me, for the novelty value of course.  (and the cat thing)

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,520 of 150,572
Thanks Jason, I am eagerly awaiting 2016 and what cool stuff you bring to the table.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back