Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #84,541 of 150,841
I'm a complete sucker for acoustic guitar. It is why I own stereo equipment. I'm grateful that it is reasonably easy to reproduce something that sounds great without spending millions. I'd listen to more piano but except for a pair of Beveridge speakers I heard in the 80s I haven't found anything that does a great job, at least anywhere near my price point. That said, has anyone listened to Xuefei Yang on guitar? Subtle and beautiful - her playing that is.
Maggies are wonderful with acoustic music.

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #84,542 of 150,841
Lol, there are folks doing the standard build and selling them for $750, I would be paying a lot and using few parts from the kit. I am turning down $2,000 each for more lucrative builds so I can pursue other hobbies. 😎
The problem is you're just not greedy enough. :smile:

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #84,543 of 150,841
So we have maybe 2 amps with balance pots?
It's called "Laterality" on the Phonitor.

Phonitor_x_front_black_2560-1536x589.png

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #84,544 of 150,841
The problem is you're just not greedy enough. :smile:
I have projects I can do if I need money but I am at a point in my career where I should start spending money and enjoying life more.😉

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #84,545 of 150,841
B925EF5B-D495-4656-9992-C05DC5258972.jpeg
Those I build for myself have separate left and right volume pots if that counts. :ksc75smile: They even have VU meters if I so desire. On one occasion I even messed around with magic eye tubes but that was just to win a bet. I self fund my audio habit. Some are ugly but I generally win the bets. I had to incorporate a blade switch on this one.

Hello,
Not a criticism cause I know you can build great pre/amps as a hobby. Which is something I am not good at.

But have you ever considered taking your case-building to the next level? Ive no idea how difficult it can be

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #84,546 of 150,841
Hello,
Not a criticism cause I know you can build great pre/amps as a hobby. Which is something I am not good at.

But have you ever considered taking your case-building to the next level? Ive no idea how difficult it can be
I am not sure I follow? I could do more elaborate case builds but in the past some took three weekends and currently I need more free time. I am hoping to do one last build that I hope will be exceptional but I am less inspired now, I want to spend time with other hobbies. The case in the photo is just something I threw together to win a bet, looks were not an issue and it allowed me to experiment with copper plate. I donated that one to a friend who liked the sound.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #84,549 of 150,841
Well, if you're going to place vague constraints, then no! Now if you are willing to further elaborate on what you view as 'sensible', I'm sure you will get a head-spinning variety and number of replies within an hour! One man's 'sensibly priced' may be another man's 'that's just insane'!! :D

(BTW -- I love my Valhalla 2!! Best value in OTL tube amps, IMHO. Punches well above its price class)
My personal favorite alternative for the 6N1P (the shorter ones in your Valhalla) are the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922, they are around 110 American Kopeks for a low-noise-plus-triode-balanced-plus-gain-matched pair. Have yet to find an E88CC (or compatible) that sounds more euphonic to my ears. They sound great in the Valhalla, and they elevate my Mjolnir 2 to a wholly different level (compared to the GEs that mine came with from Schiit, at least.)

I'm also not averse to the JJ E88CC/6922 Gold Pin, they clock in at around 65 for a low-noise-plus-triode-balanced-plus-gain-matched pair. But they don't come close to the Gold Lions, in my humble opinion.

As to the 6N6P, the longer ones, I'm not even sure there are any alternatives worth mentioning to the ones that came with your Valhalla. But I've only ever done some cursory research on that type, so I might very well be wrong.

I think my max price point is about 100€ for a pair of tubes, give or take a little.
I shall give the Gold Lions a shot at some point. Just bought a new TV (77" Sony A80J) so I think my wallet needs to rest for a bit.

Any recommended tube dealers in EU? There was also some talk about new tubes being manufactured in UK, worth taking a shot?

Also, whew. Stay away from this site for a few days and you have 30+ pages of catching up to do... All caught up now, though.

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #84,550 of 150,841
Yesterday I mentioned that @sam6550a could most likely take a group of parts I sent him including tubes and build a headphone amp, I realized after the fact that @AudioGal could most likely do the same thing because of her experiences with tubes. :ksc75smile: The last time I did this I was given some obscure Russian tubes and transformers and the research took about a week before I could get started. I would not do that to friends. I was required to use at least 75% of the parts I was given and build a 15 watt SET amp.Cowen amp.jpg

I kept that one and built a decent cabinet for it. Fun and games for me since I like challenges. :L3000: Oh and I called the amp the Cowen until I was happy with the sound and won the bet, now it is the amp formerly known as Cowen.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #84,551 of 150,841
So we have maybe 2 amps with balance pots?
Would it be safe to say the vast majority of headphone amps do not have balance pots ???
Hmmm.
:>)
My Bryston amp has a balance control. That's four now.
It's for ear-wax compensation :)

bryston_bha_1_headphone_amp_black_front__13004.1633020140.jpg

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #84,552 of 150,841
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #84,553 of 150,841
I think my max price point is about 100€ for a pair of tubes, give or take a little.
I shall give the Gold Lions a shot at some point. Just bought a new TV (77" Sony A80J) so I think my wallet needs to rest for a bit.

Any recommended tube dealers in EU? There was also some talk about new tubes being manufactured in UK, worth taking a shot?

Also, whew. Stay away from this site for a few days and you have 30+ pages of catching up to do... All caught up now, though.
A good source for tubes in EU is https://www.banzaimusic.com/Tubes/
But even better to stay away from tubes :ksc75smile:

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #84,554 of 150,841
How many other amps for headphones have a balance pot?

What equipment of yours is so broken or poorly placed that you need balance control? 😉

Balance control addresses:
1. Room anomalies (it's been a long time since Schiit was only for headphones.)
2. Recording irregularities.
3. Individual hearing issues.
4. Individual taste.
You may not need or want a certain control or feature. But it is presumptuous to assume no one else has such a need.

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #84,555 of 150,841
My Cambridge Audio CXA60 integrated amp has a balance control and defeatable bass and treble. Heresy, I know! 😏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back