Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #84,301 of 153,379
I am naturally left oriented, so eating, writing, throwing, kicking, golfing and you know. It was impossible when young to find "left-handed" scissors, so I learnt to cut righty.
Then at age ~33, I lost the ability to write with my left hand. So, I switched to writing righty. Half a life writing lefty and the other half righty. I can still eat with both hands :)
Our son is left handed. My mother was so happy to finally get, 1 - a grandson. 2 - a left handed child. 3 - a child with brown eyes and brown hair. :ksc75smile:

He is somewhat ambidextrous which is more than I can say for myself. He said it is just natural for him to have to be able to use either hand and it never bothered him that he is primarily left handed.

Schiit related: He is getting a Schiit Modius for Christmas.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #84,302 of 153,379
I am not joking.
Sorry, didn't read carefully and hadn't noticed you were mentioning something you went through yourself

I have to say I'm glad this kind of nonsense doesn't seem to happen anymore...

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #84,303 of 153,379
In theory, the old show can be turned into HD just by regenerating the CGI. In practice, no one will pay for that.

One of my kids (the one most into creative) loved B5 until the last season.

The reboot would be interesting as some of the most memorable plot twists were caused by the actors having lives and not originally planned by JMS.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #84,304 of 153,379
The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
There's an economics paper out there that says an individual needs to have 70K in income to be happy. That includes kids, btw. A family of four would need 4x70k. I think that amounts to $35/h?

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #84,305 of 153,379
Whether you like this or not*, self-driving cars will be the norm in a decade or two. ...

* I, for one, loathe this thought. I love driving, it's like meditation to me. But considering that self-driving cars are already becoming safer than most drivers in most situations even today, I'm not sure which side I would really land on if I had to make a choice.
I, for one, look forward to the self-driving cars for other people. Especially commercial trucks.
I feel like I'm risking my life every time I drive somewhere. It didn't used to be like that....

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #84,306 of 153,379
Left handed people were thought to be evil, we get our word sinister from it and many tools are made to favor right handed people. I do not agree with this by any means and it is certainly changing for the better now. :beerchug:

Is sinister unfair to the left-handed?​

Sinister has an etymology that might seem a bit biased against the left-handed portion of the population, as this word, which has had naught but disagreeable meanings for over five hundred years now, comes from a Latin word of the same spelling that means “on the left side.” We find this root in other English words, such as the adjective sinistral (“left-handed”) and the adverb sinistrad (“toward the left side”). To make things even more unfair, the Latin word dexter (“on the right side”) has given rise to English words with largely positive meanings, such as dexterity and ambidextrous.

Bias against left-handed people is bias or design that is usually unfavorable against people who are left-handed. Part of this is due to design in the world which is often right-hand biased. Handwriting is one of the biggest sources of actual disadvantage for left-handed people, other than for those forced to work with certain machinery. About 90 percent of the world's population is right-handed,[1] so many common articles are designed for efficient use by right-handed people, and may be inconvenient, painful, or even dangerous for left-handed people to use. These may include school desks, kitchen implements, and tools ranging from simple scissors to hazardous machinery such as power saws.[2]

Beyond being inherently disadvantaged by a right-handed bias in the design of tools, left-handed people have been subjected to deliberate discrimination and discouragement. In certain societies, they may be considered unlucky or even malicious by the right-handed majority. Many languages still contain references to left-handedness to convey awkwardness, dishonesty, stupidity, or other undesirable qualities. In many societies, left-handed people were historically (and in some cases still are) forced as children to use their right hands for tasks which they would naturally perform with the left, such as eating or writing.[3] In the late 20th century, left-handedness became less stigmatized, and in many countries, particularly the Western world, left-handed children were no longer forced to switch to their right hand.
Handed Left I am...

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #84,307 of 153,379
If cars become self-driving then I am relatively certain that big brother will electronically enforce the posted speed limits on such vehicles. In plain speak, the vehicle won't let you break the speed limit. It won't let you run stop lights and stop signs. It won't let you tailgate and annoyingly "flash I'm an ass" let me pass.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #84,308 of 153,379
We are already living in an era where all bugs will never be squashed in our protean, endlessly-changing systems.
Being a professional software product developer is a challenge, to be sure.
My favorite description of working software: A collection of bugs that together create the desired effect.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #84,309 of 153,379
There's an economics paper out there that says an individual needs to have 70K in income to be happy. That includes kids, btw. A family of four would need 4x70k. I think that amounts to $35/h?
$140/hr in round numbers. I don't buy the results of the paper.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #84,310 of 153,379
If cars become self-driving then I am relatively certain that big brother will electronically enforce the posted speed limits on such vehicles. In plain speak, the vehicle won't let you break the speed limit. It won't let you run stop lights and stop signs. It won't let you tailgate and annoyingly "flash I'm an ass" let me pass.

Between the hours of 6:30-10:30 and 2:30-8:00 enforced speed limits would be refreshing here.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #84,311 of 153,379
Between the hours of 6:30-10:30 and 2:30-8:00 enforced speed limits would be refreshing here.
Self-driving vehicles would do that.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #84,313 of 153,379
I am naturally left oriented, so eating, writing, throwing, kicking, golfing and you know. It was impossible when young to find "left-handed" scissors, so I learnt to cut righty.
Then at age ~33, I lost the ability to write with my left hand. So, I switched to writing righty. Half a life writing lefty and the other half righty. I can still eat with both hands :)
I can also eat with both hands :wink:

1636825603825.jpeg

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #84,314 of 153,379
I just wish idiots would yield to the opposite lane from schools, to allow buses safer right of way.
My middle child said she never felt more in danger from cars than in walking home from high school.
From the recently minted teenage drivers? No, the parents.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #84,315 of 153,379
It certainly depends on location. Here you can get a fabulous house for about 20% of what it would be in other parts of the US.
I know kids cost money but $70k per seems excessive. I only raised two and made sure they got through college and had their own vehicles. Later years are certainly more expensive than early years. :)

I chose a number that is about double the actual hourly wage of employees in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...-hourly-earnings-for-all-employees-in-the-us/

I cannot imagine the average wage tripling.

There is also the theory that if you took all the money in the world and dispersed it evenly, it would still end up predominantly in the same hands that it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back