Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #84,286 of 153,441
I just got a lathe. Polishing wood is still fun. 60, 120, 220, 320, 500, wax based polishing compound. The 220 step seems to take the longest, I do not know why that is.
I have mostly done flat surfaces in ebony, lots of sanding lol. When finished it is like glass. I used copper for all my support pieces in racks. I want something quick and easy so I can change heights as I change gear.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #84,287 of 153,441
And, in case anyone thinks the answer to "the semiconductor shortage" is political or related to inaction, here's a point of reference. Both Intel and tsmc (two of the largest fabricators in the world) are building new major manufacturing facilities in the Phoenix area as a response to the current capacity constraints. They both started building this year with hopes of being at volume manufacturing levels in the 2024-25 time frame. So companies are working on it, but the recovery window is long.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #84,288 of 153,441
In both Polish and Spanish the word for “law” is based on the word for “right”, in the directional sense.
Polish is a capitonym, a word whose pronunciation changes when capitalized. You mentioned polishing earlier. :ksc75smile: August and august is another example.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #84,289 of 153,441
And, in case anyone thinks the answer to "the semiconductor shortage" is political or related to inaction, here's a point of reference. Both Intel and tsmc (two of the largest fabricators in the world) are building new major manufacturing facilities in the Phoenix area as a response to the current capacity constraints. They both started building this year with hopes of being at volume manufacturing levels in the 2024-25 time frame. So companies are working on it, but the recovery window is long.
I still don't understand putting a chip fab in a desert area. I understand you have the nearby river, but places further east (by a lot) where there is more moisture just seems to make more sense.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #84,290 of 153,441
I am naturally left oriented, so eating, writing, throwing, kicking, golfing and you know. It was impossible when young to find "left-handed" scissors, so I learnt to cut righty.
Then at age ~33, I lost the ability to write with my left hand. So, I switched to writing righty. Half a life writing lefty and the other half righty. I can still eat with both hands :)

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #84,291 of 153,441
I still don't understand putting a chip fab in a desert area. I understand you have the nearby river, but places further east (by a lot) where there is more moisture just seems to make more sense.
You want the fab to be near infrastructure. Water needs to be available, yes, but rivers are not required. Transportation infrastructure and an available workforce with the proper education levels is much more important - the Phoenix area has been Silicon-Desert for a long time. Plus fabs require extreme humidity controls and low humidity ambient conditions makes that easier. The biggest problem in the desert is dust control, so lots of money spent changing out HEPA filter media.

-edit- And, of course, cheap land a low local taxes. :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #84,292 of 153,441
I spent a couple of weeks trying out new wireless headphones that have "touch" controls instead of physical buttons. I sent them all back. I cannot abide it on 'phones. I do not mind a touch screen on a table or computer so long as I have a real keyboard to use for typing. Cellphones are too small to actually use the screen to type on and so when ever possible I try to use voice to text. Toadish to english does not always translate well...I look even more idiotic to family and friends if I fail to carefully proof read prior to sending them a text.

Wireless headphones are nice but again, no thank you on the touch controls. Ugh. I may give the new Bose NC45 a try soon as I do not think that model uses touch controls. This morning I am happily listening to Connie Francis via my SR225s.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #84,293 of 153,441
Left handed people were thought to be evil, we get our word sinister from it and many tools are made to favor right handed people. I do not agree with this by any means and it is certainly changing for the better now. :beerchug:

Is sinister unfair to the left-handed?​

Sinister has an etymology that might seem a bit biased against the left-handed portion of the population, as this word, which has had naught but disagreeable meanings for over five hundred years now, comes from a Latin word of the same spelling that means “on the left side.” We find this root in other English words, such as the adjective sinistral (“left-handed”) and the adverb sinistrad (“toward the left side”). To make things even more unfair, the Latin word dexter (“on the right side”) has given rise to English words with largely positive meanings, such as dexterity and ambidextrous.

Bias against left-handed people is bias or design that is usually unfavorable against people who are left-handed. Part of this is due to design in the world which is often right-hand biased. Handwriting is one of the biggest sources of actual disadvantage for left-handed people, other than for those forced to work with certain machinery. About 90 percent of the world's population is right-handed,[1] so many common articles are designed for efficient use by right-handed people, and may be inconvenient, painful, or even dangerous for left-handed people to use. These may include school desks, kitchen implements, and tools ranging from simple scissors to hazardous machinery such as power saws.[2]

Beyond being inherently disadvantaged by a right-handed bias in the design of tools, left-handed people have been subjected to deliberate discrimination and discouragement. In certain societies, they may be considered unlucky or even malicious by the right-handed majority. Many languages still contain references to left-handedness to convey awkwardness, dishonesty, stupidity, or other undesirable qualities. In many societies, left-handed people were historically (and in some cases still are) forced as children to use their right hands for tasks which they would naturally perform with the left, such as eating or writing.[3] In the late 20th century, left-handedness became less stigmatized, and in many countries, particularly the Western world, left-handed children were no longer forced to switch to their right hand.
I understand why most things are built to be used by right-handed people, so it doesn't bother me. I'll make my own accommodations, even for tools which might be dangerous. I'm capable, I can do that.

I am glad superstition has given way to sense, though. I'd have hated trying to learn how to write with my right hand if I'd been born a generation earlier. I can be pretty stubborn. I might still be in first grade to this day: "No, I'm going to write this way!"

Does all this mean I'm now part of a protected class? Do I get to start being outraged all the time? Where are my benefits? Nah, never mind, that takes way too much energy for zero productivity.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #84,294 of 153,441
I understand why most things are built to be used by right-handed people, so it doesn't bother me. I'll make my own accommodations, even for tools which might be dangerous. I'm capable, I can do that.

I am glad superstition has given way to sense, though. I'd have hated trying to learn how to write with my right hand if I'd been born a generation earlier. I can be pretty stubborn. I might still be in first grade to this day: "No, I'm going to write this way!"

Does all this mean I'm now part of a protected class? Do I get to start being outraged all the time? Where are my benefits? Nah, never mind, that takes way too much energy for zero productivity.
You are special, just like everybody else. :ksc75smile:

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #84,295 of 153,441
I suppose driving a car in the UK would be "easier" for a lefty, with controls to the left of the steering, but shifting gears with the left hand sure sounds wonky.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #84,296 of 153,441
You want the fab to be near infrastructure. Water needs to be available, yes, but rivers are not required. Transportation infrastructure and an available workforce with the proper education levels is much more important - the Phoenix area has been Silicon-Desert for a long time. Plus fabs require extreme humidity controls and low humidity ambient conditions makes that easier. The biggest problem in the desert is dust control, so lots of money spent changing out HEPA filter media.

-edit- And, of course, cheap land a low local taxes. :)
Okay, that makes more sense - didn't know about the humidity aspect. Wasn't referring to the river for barge transport more for makeup water. Agreed on education being important, my current employer has issues with that - locals require more training (not dumb, just not as educated trying to avoid a third rail here) and out-of-towners with kids don't want to move here.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #84,297 of 153,441
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #84,298 of 153,441
Okay, that makes more sense - didn't know about the humidity aspect. Wasn't referring to the river for barge transport more for makeup water. Agreed on education being important, my current employer has issues with that - locals require more training (not dumb, just not as educated trying to avoid a third rail here) and out-of-towners with kids don't want to move here.
Fabs (and indeed really every aspect of the semi industry) use highly purified DI water for process-related functions. City water is used for some things, but mostly it's DI and fabs have large plants to make their own DI water from city water. So they don't really care where the water comes from as long as the city can make it available. :)

-edit - re humidity controls. One droplet of water making its way into a chip fabrication machine can cause millions of dollars in lost revenue. It's a critical factor.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #84,299 of 153,441
Fabs (and indeed really every aspect of the semi industry) use highly purified DI water for process-related functions. City water is used for some things, but mostly it's DI and fabs have large plants to make their own DI water from city water. So they don't really care where the water comes from as long as the city can make it available. :)

-edit - re humidity controls. One droplet of water making its way into a chip fabrication machine can cause millions of dollars in lost revenue. It's a critical factor.
Yep, I am getting to learn about DI water for work - direct cooling of aluminum buswork to keep the eddy losses from 160MW, and RO makeup to the general cooling tower to keep the chlorides and other minerals low. Maybe I am colored by the steel industry, but we use millions of gallons a day even with multi stage (don't need the purity of multipass) RO to keep the cycles up, although for us 6 cycles is really good normally for evaporative systems.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #84,300 of 153,441
Yep, I am getting to learn about DI water for work - direct cooling of aluminum buswork to keep the eddy losses from 160MW, and RO makeup to the general cooling tower to keep the chlorides and other minerals low. Maybe I am colored by the steel industry, but we use millions of gallons a day even with multi stage (don't need the purity of multipass) RO to keep the cycles up, although for us 6 cycles is really good normally for evaporative systems.
The steel industry is a completely different world. Your factories work at a macro level; mine work at the sub-micron level. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back