Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #84,196 of 150,893
Time for a toast to the living, and a drink to the dead. Balvenie for me. I would be honored to buy you said scotch if our paths ever cross.
Absent friends…

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #84,197 of 150,893
We go as far as making ramen eggs and serve it in bowls my wife made.CDAAFB72-60BA-48AE-BD40-8808DF1A398E.jpeg

What brand of Mirin are you buying? And how many days are you letting the eggs cure/marinate before eating?

Im on a bit of a stock kick, both regular chicken stock, and ramen stock. I received two 10 quart slow cookers this week so I can make my 24 hr broth, 20 quarts at a time....

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #84,199 of 150,893
I (originating from Europe) never understood the fork in left hand thing. If your right hand is dominant (majority of people) it should be doing the more complex tasks. All the knife does is go back and forth. Leave that remedial task to the dumb hand.

My theory is that somewhere along the history of nobles, they were looking for yet another way to differentiate themselves from the plebes (because the lazy bastards had nothing better to do) and decided to make the simple task of eating more complex. Eventually, the plebes in their never ending pursuit of not being plebes picked up on this "thing" that shows clear superiority over others and adopted it. And there you go, it's how everybody ended up doing a simple thing in a complex way. Sort of like scratching the right side of your head with your left hand.

I don't value human "intelligence" very highly lol.

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #84,201 of 150,893
So Fok-Yu had some un supervised freedom on the balcony some minutes ago.
Now there's a dove that can't steer in flight anymore.

DoveTail.jpg

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #84,202 of 150,893
I recommend trying to stay away from windows 11 for at least a few months or a year, support for 12th gen intel i5/i7/i9 cpu with asymmetrical processing cores as well as AMD's new Ryzen 3 architecture means it will take MS a while to debug the new and "improved" Task Scheduler, etc. plus a whole lot more bloatware. planning a new computer purchase but looking at the old-gen intel i5/i7-11x00 series with Windows 10 (21H1) instead of the newer architecture.

(added)
Win10 21H1 support (security & bug fixes) is at least thru 2023, so Win11 should be (hopefully) less unstable by then.
Maybe, maybe not. I updated to Win11 a couple of weeks back on a 1 year old Dell XPS desktop. So far, only a couple of minor hiccups, but generally stable and functional. Also though, I don't have anything critical that is not backed up, ever, and it's not mission critical for me (I can restore it to what I need in a couple of hours) so am happy to take the plunge. As always, YMMV :)

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #84,204 of 150,893
What brand of Mirin are you buying? And how many days are you letting the eggs cure/marinate before eating?

Im on a bit of a stock kick, both regular chicken stock, and ramen stock. I received two 10 quart slow cookers this week so I can make my 24 hr broth, 20 quarts at a time....
The eggs cure at least a day. I use Kikkoman Aji-Mirin.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #84,205 of 150,893
I can't do the tiramisu (extreme lactose intolerance) but your post just reminded me that I need some good Portuguese bagaço for my weekend lunchtime espresso. @Derrick Swart knows what I'm talking about "café e bagaço"(or as we said back when "bica e bagaço") :ksc75smile:
As some say here about bagaço , a great stuff to clean your windows!
I don't appreciate spirits in general but a good aguardente velha I occasionally drink (CRF/Soalheiro) - not to clean your windows with :wink:.

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #84,207 of 150,893
I feel your pain, figuratively. Being ambidextrous ain't a walk in the park, either. I grew up with that whole European fork in your left and knife in your right hand thing. But to this day, it's still confusing the heck out of me; holding either one in either hand feels equally normal and "right" to me. I can still feel my grandma's judging look whenever I catch myself doing it "wrong"… 🤣
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #84,209 of 150,893
I liked her in Line of Fire as well. I have a list of maybe ten movies I can watch over and over and that is one of them.

Things like The Shawshank Redemption
Battle of the Bulge
A Clockwork Orange
Cinema Paradiso
Hoosiers
The Big Lebowski etc.
Not "Breaking Away?" I know you live near Bloomington.

The concept of self-driving cars is very strange to me. GM is showing a TV advert for a "self driving" pickup truck in which the occupants are all clapping in rhythm to some stupid song. Weird. I, too, enjoy driving very much ... spent a large percentage of time 1996-2018 on business in Germany. I always felt safer driving on the autobahns than I do on the US interstates. In Germany, the drivers obey the rules.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #84,210 of 150,893
In Poland and the Czech Republic people drove me crazy by serving me (the guest) first and demanding that I start eating before everyone was served. It is horrifying to an American to start eating before everyone is served.

Where do you live? In Tuscany they served me Salad Caprese with no oil or vinegar, they told me this was correct. In Naples they put oil and vinegar on it. The Tuscans consider the Neapolitans bandits and barbarians. I like the fish and salads better in Naples, I like the beef and red wine better in Tuscany.

I think these things are less cut-and-dried that non-Italians think they are. We have a penchant for drama (especially when it comes to our food), but not everything is such a sacrilege or necessarily widespread as one may think. I can't find myself much in what Pietro wrote in the post you replied to, for example, and I think the oil/vinegar thing you mention can change a lot based on personal preferences more than anything else.

Having said that, breaking spaghetti is a big no-no in my book, but I also don't like spaghetti (or long pasta, generally speaking) that much anyway. My grandma breaks them every time. Go figure!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back