Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #826 of 152,641
I've seen the original thread. As I see it, NewAvGuy was banned not because he was arguing the issue against the site sponsor, but because _how_ he was doing it. For a guy so concerned about objectivity in AV gear measurements, he was extremely subjective and full of assumptions in his posts. Having said that, I have to add that I do respect his input and impact on the community. The technical side. Just my 0.02.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #827 of 152,641
I just read some of the old "What causes this" topic that Jason linked above and was struck by the fact that the guy who was correct is now banned and the guy who was super obnoxious in defending Schiit is an admin. I'll take others word for it that newavguy deserved to be banned, but it does seem strange looking back on it. Either way, I'm really enjoying Jason's writing.

Nwavguy might have been correct but he was very obnoxious making assumptions that didn't quite hold true and trying to discredit others. While not very obvious and indirect he still acted like a total jerk at times, IMO.
It wasn't like anyone really tried to deny that there might be a problem, though I think it was taken a little lightly.

Personally, I hate that kind of grey zones. I mean ideally shrike should have gotten a refund and a new k701 as it might have been damaged, but money IS an object after all.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #828 of 152,641
Providing excellent customer service is an art form, but there is also an art to extracting excellent customer service from a company. If you remember that generally speaking people want to help you, and you treat every customer service rep/business owner with respect and courtesy then the chances of you getting the conclusion you are looking for are increased exponentially. Trashing people/companies on the forums is no way to move towards the desired outcome. 

From my perspective both sides made mistakes here, Jason has owned his and is willing to got he extra to make things right. I applaud that approach. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #829 of 152,641
But again, to me this is ancient history and if people are still butt-hurt over it then perhaps they need to talk amongst themselves if they can't leave it in the past.  Me, I'm much more interested in the history of Schiit and in what comes next.  

That is not really fair. Consider that we are responding to a chapter Jason wrote on this subject. Jason is the one who posted the link to the old topic. And how is this NOT part of the history of Schiit? Jason thinks it is. Besides, there will not be a new chapter for a week. I'm not suggesting that the whole argument should be redone here (please no!), but I certainly have found the discussion so far to add to my understanding of the chapter I just read.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #830 of 152,641
I just read some of the old "What causes this" topic that Jason linked above and was struck by the fact that the guy who was correct is now banned and the guy who was super obnoxious in defending Schiit is an admin. I'll take others word for it that newavguy deserved to be banned, but it does seem strange looking back on it. Either way, I'm really enjoying Jason's writing.

Exactly my feeling without changing a word

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #831 of 152,641
Nwavguy might have been correct but he was very obnoxious making assumptions that didn't quite hold true and trying to discredit others. While not very obvious and indirect he still acted like a total jerk at times, IMO.
It wasn't like anyone really tried to deny that there might be a problem, though I think it was taken a little lightly.

Personally, I hate that kind of grey zones. I mean ideally shrike should have gotten a refund and a new k701 as it might have been damaged, but money IS an object after all.

I was not involved in the original arguments. I never heard of newavguy until after he disappeared. I own no Schiit gear (but they do seems like they make some great stuff). So, I read the old topic as an outsider. If you go back and re-read the first few pages, you will see that newavguy was pretty much totally correct in what he said and the guy trying to answer was using character assassination. I don't know that person and have nothing against him, but that is how it reads to me. Maybe if I read the entire topic I'd come to a different conclusion. 

Anyway, I can see that there is still a lot of passion about this issue, so I'm going to let it go. It really means nothing to me, other than as an interesting episode.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #832 of 152,641
Every chapter so far is full of excitement, drama, and character development as it were. I really enjoy this kind of non-fiction. Real people trying to practical things, and struggling in the process. What genre would this be considered under? Business non-fiction?

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #833 of 152,641

I was not involved in the original arguments. I never heard of newavguy until after he disappeared. I own no Schiit gear (but they do seems like they make some great stuff). So, I read the old topic as an outsider. If you go back and re-read the first few pages, you will see that newavguy was pretty much totally correct in what he said and the guy trying to answer was using character assassination. I don't know that person and have nothing against him, but that is how it reads to me. Maybe if I read the entire topic I'd come to a different conclusion. 

Anyway, I can see that there is still a lot of passion about this issue, so I'm going to let it go. It really means nothing to me, other than as an interesting episode.

I am in the exact same position as you, actually.
Would love to get some schiit :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #834 of 152,641

He actually said (on 2/11/13):

"@ Jason

We're cool now."

Clearly he did not say you were "good."  Being "cool" can have numerous connotations, not all of them synonymous with good.  Being cool !=­ being good.  Your lack of precision with word meanings mirrors the incomplete haphazard nature of the data you keep.

That is the most laughable thing I've read in a while. Every connotation of "cool" I've ever come across people using is more or less positive, or good. I've never heard anyone used it to mean otherwise. Seems like you're just twisting the meaning of words to attack someone, which is the most dick-ish way to play with semantics. "We're cool now" means "We're good now." Period.

"Your lack of precision with word meanings..." This here is just totally asinine. That's like saying, "You've just made a mistake in multiple two numbers, therefore you're lacking in mathematical acuity." Errors happen. Get over it. You were wrong about the word "cool," and you were were also wrong to generalize a person's work ethic based on one of his mistakes. Yes, he made an error in his data; don't augment that little detail into him being totally incompetent in how he handles data. Humans make mistake. You're not above human, as no one is.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #835 of 152,641
I've been a music lover since my early teens (decades ago) and later on truly enjoyed listening to and buying the best home stereo gear "I could afford" since the mid to late 80's. So, I'm very use to turning my amp off first and then my source gear and reversing the order when turning the gear back on. Ever since I started reading gear reviews and trying to find out as much information as possible about the components I'm interested in it's certainly been in vogue to have the fewest parts in the signal path as possible. Maybe its easier for me now to take steps to prevent problems since that's how it was when I got into this hobby. I certainly made my share of mistakes, after a long day I once plugged in a new set of cables into my amp (either a Nakamichi PA-7 or Adcom 555 mkII ) thinking it was turned off and fried the EMIT tweeters in my Infinity Kappa 7 speakers (never did that again). 

Anyway, mistakes happen (on the business AND customer side of things...sounds like Schiit Audio has done all they can to take care of any issues) but its probably best that the customer does their part to make sure that they take steps to prevent any damage to their gear...be it speakers or headphones. Its not that difficult or time consuming to unplug a pair of headphones before turning an amp on or off. It could be worse, I bought a DAC that I LOVE this past year that has a built in headphone amp and every time I plug in my headphones/IEM's I hear a bit of static and then a thump. I contacted the company and was told that there was no protection relay at the headphone jack as they wanted it to sound as clean as possible. They stated that nobody has claimed to have damaged their headphones yet using the amp. I don't hink that was the best move on their part but since I use either my Lyr or new Asgard 2 for all my headphone listening it hasn't caused me any issues. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #836 of 152,641
I appreciate the points people are making.  My position is it's one thing for Jason to decide to tell a story, but it's something else entirely for some to try and relive it.  But hey, to each his own.  I'll go back to sitting and watching.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #837 of 152,641
That is the most laughable thing I've read in a while. Every connotation of "cool" I've ever come across people using is more or less positive, or good. I've never heard anyone used it to mean otherwise. Seems like you're just twisting the meaning of words to attack someone, which is the most dick-ish way to play with semantics. "We're cool now" means "We're good now." Period.

"Your lack of precision with word meanings..." This here is just totally asinine. That's like saying, "You've just made a mistake in multiple two numbers, therefore you're lacking in mathematical acuity." Errors happen. Get over it. You were wrong about the word "cool," and you were were also wrong to generalize a person's work ethic based on one of his mistakes. Yes, he made an error in his data; don't augment that little detail into him being totally incompetent in how he handles data. Humans make mistake. You're not above human, as no one is.

+1000

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #838 of 152,641

He was mocking my use of != earlier on . . . which wasn't semantic based.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #839 of 152,641

He was mocking my use of != earlier on . . . which wasn't semantic based.

I didn't see any mocking in his reply, which was pretty clear. You read too much into it,  and perhaps through lens of defensiveness.

EDIT: I'm guessing you were referring to this post:

I'm sorry--I thought you said, "Jason, we are good" on another forum that shall not be named, after I cleared up some things about how we handled the Asgard Incident, apologized for it, etc.

Bottom line: I have no grievances with you, and I bear no ill-will to you, so there is no "bygones being bygones" on my side. 

I have no problem discussing it right here, in this forum, since it is not a thread derail at all--it directly addresses the chapter posted. I think nobody else will have a problem with that, either--and if they do, they can chime in and we can take it to email (jason@schiit.com), as long as I have your consent to post the entire, unedited email string, including both your and my responses, when we're done.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #840 of 152,641
What i take away from this thread is that Jason is a marketing guy and he sure knows his trade well!! These days not many things can keep my attention for more than 2 mins unless it is videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od7U9GhZg_g or of your mom i made last night.. 

at first i was looking for a tl ;dr version, but skimming over the chapters it makes for half decent reading.  Kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back