Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #83,851 of 150,605
So I believe some of you have Zu DWs. How do you like them? What are their strengths and weaknesses, music wise? I'm thinking of popping for some when they come available again.

I have a pair of Zu DW with the Jupiter Cap upgrade. They are amazing speakers. Super sharp, poignant, very enjoyable. They don't extend as far down as I like my speakers to so i have some subs to help with that just a schooch. I bought them to replace my Kef R300 but i really can't part ways with any of my speakers after a certain amount of time. My current listening room isn't really conducive to methodological speaker tests and comparisons so i don't really want to pit the two of them against each other. They are different though. If you're already on the fence, you might as well take the plunge and if they really aren't your cup of tea you can return them.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #83,852 of 150,605
Thanks for the replies on the Zu's. I mostly listen to acoustic instrumental and classic rock although I do listen to some classical. I am looking for something with great presence and soundstage to go in a fairly small room. For now it would be driven by a Modius to Lyr 3 to Vidar but it would be easy to swap the Vidar for an Aegir if that provides enough volume for me. I have an SVS SB2000 to fill in the bass so I'm not worrying about that. Other than the cap upgrade is there anything else I should get upgraded?

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #83,854 of 150,605
Thanks for the replies on the Zu's. I mostly listen to acoustic instrumental and classic rock although I do listen to some classical. I am looking for something with great presence and soundstage to go in a fairly small room. For now it would be driven by a Modius to Lyr 3 to Vidar but it would be easy to swap the Vidar for an Aegir if that provides enough volume for me. I have an SVS SB2000 to fill in the bass so I'm not worrying about that. Other than the cap upgrade is there anything else I should get upgraded?

I don't have DWs but Omen mk. II, but can absolutely echo what previous posters said. I also just added the same sub to my system.

Not having an Aegir, but rather a Cayin CS55A, I still find it fairly safe to say that you're not going to run out of headroom. I can play up a 35 square meters (convert to freedom units yourself) living room at earsplitting levels without passing noon on the knob.

For your preferred genres, I'd say Zu would be a great match, loving acoustic on these. I have heard speakers with better imaging and soundstage, but that might just be my particular setup, room is far from ideal. Great midrange and presence: Dealer described them as 'fast' and I get what he meant. Lovely drum transients on these bad boys.
I'd absolutely recommend them.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #83,855 of 150,605
I don't have DWs but Omen mk. II, but can absolutely echo what previous posters said. I also just added the same sub to my system.

Not having an Aegir, but rather a Cayin CS55A, I still find it fairly safe to say that you're not going to run out of headroom. I can play up a 35 square meters (convert to freedom units yourself) living room at earsplitting levels without passing noon on the knob.

For your preferred genres, I'd say Zu would be a great match, loving acoustic on these. I have heard speakers with better imaging and soundstage, but that might just be my particular setup, room is far from ideal. Great midrange and presence: Dealer described them as 'fast' and I get what he meant. Lovely drum transients on these bad boys.
I'd absolutely recommend them.
Can you tell me why you went with the Omens instead of the DWs and do you think the upgrade was worth it?

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #83,856 of 150,605
The only Zu speakers I've ever spent any time with were Druids, and while they did not make me want to run out and buy a pair I can say they are very engaging and musical-sounding. Nice high-efficiency choice if that's your cup of tea.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #83,857 of 150,605
Can you tell me why you went with the Omens instead of the DWs and do you think the upgrade was worth it?

It was outside DW season :D

And I got the Clarity caps.
I bought them via a reseller in Denmark, so it was simple to do it like that. I like simple. I did contact the seller about DWs, but when I came to listen he had the Omens set up, and I sort of went with that. I had already decided I wanted the CC upgrade, since that was recommended around the web. Since VAT and taxes are substantial here, it worked out at not too large a difference in price. And he offered a deal on Mission cables too, to lighten the wait :D

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #83,858 of 150,605
Also, to add: the finish on these is beautiful.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #83,859 of 150,605

Oh, if you have hard surface floors like I do, for sure pop for the rubber footers. They screw on to the bottom of the cabinet to docouple it from the floor, and they also make sure you won't harm your floors! Double win and not too overly expensive. Make sure to get two sets (they come in packs of 4.)

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #83,860 of 150,605
So I believe some of you have Zu DWs. How do you like them? What are their strengths and weaknesses, music wise? I'm thinking of popping for some when they come available again.
I have been listening to a pair of DWs since August, and to my ears they sound very organic and lifelike. I listen to all digital music, and my taste ranges all over the place, I can say that they seem suited for nearly all genres. Like some others, I power them with a Schiit Aegir amp, and in my small listening room, feel that there is more than enough headroom. My main standard for any piece of audio equipment is: does it make me want to listen to music more, and with these speakers the answer is a resounding yes! My pair are finished in rustic hickory, and have the Jupiter Copper cap upgrade.

IMG_3344 by davidflas, on Flickr

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #83,861 of 150,605
I have been listening to a pair of DWs since August, and to my ears they sound very organic and lifelike. I listen to all digital music, and my taste ranges all over the place, I can say that they seem suited for nearly all genres. Like some others, I power them with a Schiit Aegir amp, and in my small listening room, feel that there is more than enough headroom. My main standard for any piece of audio equipment is: does it make me want to listen to music more, and with these speakers the answer is a resounding yes! My pair are finished in rustic hickory, and have the Jupiter Copper cap upgrade.

IMG_3344 by davidflas, on Flickr

That is a sweet listening (and watching) space.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #83,862 of 150,605
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #83,863 of 150,605
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #83,865 of 150,605

Ive got the DWs as well.

For a long time I only drove them with Vidar. They are quite nice, but I would recommend you buy the snubbers Zu sells to lower the Ohms. In my experience Vidar sounds more open and detailed with the snubbers.

I have my DWs in play right now with Gungnir Multibit and Ragnarok 2. Its quite nice. Also good to know, Zu Omen DW scale nicely as you put different/better pieces of gear in the chain.

I listen to pretty much everything. Classic rock, classical, stuff from the nineties, country, some of todays pop, jazz old and new, bluegrass, etc.

The Zu are a nice all rounder, I find they have a nice tone and texture and have no real weak point. Very fast, mid range is very appealing, bass thumps well enough for my needs, especially compared to my LRSs. I also have the clarity cap upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back