Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #8,206 of 149,297
  I was catching up, wondering "what's this thread about?", seems to have been off the rails for a while now.

Just filling the void...

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #8,207 of 149,297
What is "On Topic" here..?   
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #8,208 of 149,297
Oct 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #8,210 of 149,297
Just grabbed an NAD C375BEE for $320. Retail new is $1500. Even at a very conservative 150 watts, it's nowhere near as good as the Mcormack DNA .5 acquired many years ago form $900.
Emotiva? Nice stuff. Cheap even.
The rag? It's simply in another category. Id love to see sub $1K gear that really truly plays in the high-end sound arena.
There jist really isn't anything that I've heard that manages to surpass the "it sounds good for its price" effect under $1200 unless it's used. We could use some Schiit goodness, and it's not just the hard price point, but the level of sound at the price point.
Maybe it won't happen, but I think its something to think on Jason. There may be a lot of products at the price point, but how many of them sound really exceptional?
Could those Emotiva units drop the cases/LEDs for better internals?
Maybe the answer still comes out no. but perhaps something to noodle around with in that magic engineering experimentation time.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #8,212 of 149,297

In a last, desperate attempt to get back On Topic...

It's been fun to watch Jason being coy about speaker amps. When it comes to transducers or 'stat amps, he's just flat out NoWayNoHowNever, but with speaker amps it's, well, shucks, what can we bring to the party to differentiate ourselves from E*****a?

Which suggests that he already knows darn well what he'd bring, he just hasn't decided whether to put on the tux and polish up his dancing shoes. I'd be astonished if there weren't speaker amp prototypes kicking around the Schiithaus right now.

I suspect Jason is facing two crucial decisions. First, exactly what to build? Amps come with anywhere from one to seven channels in a chassis, at power levels from flea to horse. And you pretty much have to offer a matching preamp. We just had a member who seemed to be asking for monoblocks of about 30 wpc. They'd be cute, and could double as doorstops. I want at least 120 wpc. Heck, I'm an American male, make it 250 wpc, with the first 20 watts in class A. Damn the electric bills, full speed ahead!

Second, I wonder if Jason isn't concerned about Schiit getting too big. Based on my and others' reactions to the Rag sound, I predict that Schiit would sell a metric ton. Even if the print mags continue to almost ignore them. This might entail yet another move, not to mention running into the draconian strictures of Obamacare. And it's not like Mike and Jason have nothing else to do.

We're running out of 2015, and Schiit has already had a very productive year. But there's another sure-to-be-epic meet in LA next spring, and who knows what might be announced then?

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,213 of 149,297
^ hahaha, yes it is rather funny, and Jason seems far to self-aware a person to make all these emotive references unintentionally.
Also, does anyone recall those pictures of the Zu Omens hooked up to Ygg/Rag?
I'm guessing that's got some magic emotive diesnt have. It's almost more exciting to know Jason and Mike are playing with unknown cool stuff than finding out what the next product is. Almost : )

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #8,214 of 149,297
Originally Posted by 45longcolt /img/forum/go_quote.gif.

Heck, I'm an American male, make it 250 wpc, with the first 20 watts in class A. Damn the electric bills, full speed ahead!

That's a rough description of what I use, Kenwood Basic M2A power amplifier, it has a built-in headphone jack that uses the main output circuit (instead of the later separate op-amp headphone amps in receivers and power amps):

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #8,215 of 149,297
My desk rig pushes a pair of LS3/5A speakers - the early 15 ohm model I starved and scraped and saved for while I was in college. A good 35-50 watt amp can wake them up, and I switch between an Advent 400 receiver and a Meitner STR-55 with a passive pre.

My main pair of speakers are Totem Mani-2's, which drop down below 2 ohms at certain frequencies and are a total bear to drive. I used to push them with a Quad 405 until I blew a channel (that 2 ohms...), now it's Emotiva bi-amped, and it still runs out of breath sometimes.

I would like to see a small 30 to 50 watt power amp for the desktop with the same level of control and finesse as the Ragnarok. Schiit has suitable front ends for that already, starting with the simplicity of the Sys. I feel that would be a suitably meaningful competitor for Emotiva's "baby" amps.

(BTW Emotiva is having a wicked good Halloween sale right now, and I approve of their stuff if it suits your niche.)

I would also like to see a power amp in the 100 to 150 watt range that can latch onto a difficult load like the Mani-2's (or numerous other high-end difficult-load speakers) and dominate them. I honestly don't see the need in the average home for 250 watt mono block monsters that dim the lights and cause brownouts when you power them up. (We're leaving out the 1%ers here, as that's clearly not Schiit's target market.)

Schiit more-or-less backed into the Rag: it's what used to be called an integrated amp - i.e. source switching, volume control, and headphone / speaker amplification in one box. Schiit approached from the headphone amp angle then branched out, but the end result fits neatly into a product category that dates back to the dawn of stereo hi-fi. They position it as an end-state headphone amp that happens to also drive speakers, but it's really an old-fashioned integrated amp. Kudos for that.

But that's not what I'm asking for, since it already exists.

Just the way the Yggdrasil technology trickled down to the Gugnir and Bifrost (and eventually hopefully the Modi), I would like to see the speaker amp side of the Ragnarok technology trickle down to comparably priced and sized power amps for speakers, with a focus on keeping the same performance for single-ended speakers as balanced.

As you can tell from my rigs, I'm a buy-and-keep kind of audiophile hobbyist. I have a Modi 2 Uber that I also won't be getting rid of, and I would love to be able to add Schiit dedicated power amps to my collection.

Please, Messers Stoddard and Moffat, make it so.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8,216 of 149,297

Just the way the Yggdrasil technology trickled down to the Gugnir and Bifrost (and eventually hopefully the Modi), I would like to see the speaker amp side of the Ragnarok technology trickle down to comparably priced and sized power amps for speakers, with a focus on keeping the same performance for single-ended speakers as balanced.

As you can tell from my rigs, I'm a buy-and-keep kind of audiophile hobbyist. I have a Modi 2 Uber that I also won't be getting rid of, and I would love to be able to add Schiit dedicated power amps to my collection.

Please, Messers Stoddard and Moffat, make it so.

+1

My Lyr 2 as preamp to a similarly priced / sized speaker amp would make for a perfect 2 channel rig for me. 

Oh, and a remote! Seriously. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #8,219 of 149,297
I would vote against a full blown amp. When I had my Maggies, my amp was decent at 200W into 8ohms, 400W into 4ohms, and 700W into 2 ohms, which is what I needed (of course, it still had to sound good). That was at a reasonable price. I guess I'm thinking that might be hard to beat. Seems like the current market has a good line of amps and it feels like a dwindling market to me (even home theater seems to be less popular).

However, if Schiit came in with a better sounding amp at half the price, could probably make a good profit. Hopefully without impacting the quality of the other products.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #8,220 of 149,297
[wrong quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back