Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 5, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #80,237 of 149,303
I absolutely love my Bifrost II, you definitely made a great choice with your purchase.
But I had to chuckle a little about the part where you said that your initial impressions are "Wow!", just as I have to chuckle every time someone says they can actually hear a difference from one DAC to the next.

Let me explain, don't rage-hit the reply button just yet… ;p

I have pretty good hearing, at least on paper. I'll turn 40 later this year, but I'm still able to hear from about 20Hz to about 19kHz, and I can easily hear a UPS or FedEx truck turn around the corner three blocks down the road while I'm sitting in my office facing out the back of the house with all windows closed, AND tell you which of the two trucks it is.
I can also easily discern the differences in sound between different power amps, preamps, most tubes, speakers, headphones, all that jazz.
But for the life of me, I can't hear a difference between, say, my Bifrost 2 and my Modius, for example. A-B'ing them blindfolded, I honestly couldn't tell you which is which. The only difference between audiophile DACs (by which I don't mean "expensive", but "well made" regardless of price) that I can hear is minute differences in noise floors, but not really in their respective coloration.

BUT!

Keeping everything else the same, I can listen to the Bifrost 2 all day without fatiguing, while Modius makes me want to take a break after two hours. (I even tried this blind, asked someone to hook one of them up for me and hide it under the table, without telling me which it is.)

I have no idea why this is, because A-B'ing them I honestly can't hear much of a difference in how they render their output signal. Especially the upper mids and highs, which is what I feel causes the fatigue for me. Modius doesn't sound harsher to me, Bifrost 2 doesn't sound warmer. Maybe Bifrost 2 is just a tad more accurate in how it keeps both channels synchronized, and a slight shift in timing between the two, which might become more pronounced in its effect at higher frequencies, causes some weird sort of cognitive dissonance for my brain, making me feel like I needed a break after a little while. I have no clue.

So, yeah. That's why I have to chuckle every time someone says they hear an _immediate_ difference between two DACs. There definitely MUST be a difference, there's no doubt about it. But I just can't hear it, at least not right away. Try as I might. :)
Hehehe! All good, and I completely understand where you're coming from. Admittedly, I have had a 10 year old Audio-GD DAC (Wolfson DAC Chips) in the system most recently, so the difference to Bifrost from that was probably more the first impressions I had. The Bifrost has "more meat on them bones", just more full and "organic" if you like.

Anyways, I'm a happy camper and listened for about 4 hours last night, at volumes that I shouldn't lest I negate the need for a good system by destroying my hearing.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #80,238 of 149,303
Okay guys,
It's been a long time.
On request of some of you I went under cover.
I crawled the endless fields of my 55m² appartement, hid under the bushes of the 2m² tundras of the balcony, followed the wildlife tracks on the hard rocky floor of my bathroom and then... she was there. The soul purpose of all my late endeavours into the wilderness to get one picture of the extremely rare Fok-Yu.
I saw, took the shot and ran for my life. But it was worth it.

Fok-Yu3.jpg

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #80,240 of 149,303
Okay guys,
It's been a long time.
I crawled the endless fields of my 55m² appartement, hid under the bushes of the 2m² tundras of the balcony, followed the wildlife tracks on the hard rocky floor of my bathroom and then... she was there. The soul purpose of all my late endeavours into the wilderness to get one picture of the extremely rare Fok-Yu.

Fok-Yu3.jpg
Your cat looks a bit like Groucho Marx

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #80,242 of 149,303
Okay guys,
It's been a long time.

So many cats with this colouring

Attachments

• Tommy.jpg
    Tommy.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #80,246 of 149,303
Since this conversation has fallen off the cliff into classic British Sports Cars, I am wondering where in the Sine Wave we are?
I'm catching up and I could be duplicating posts I've yet to read, and since I'm at least a week behind, who knows what people are talking about in real time... However...

As we all know, real audio is not just a sine wave. Sine waves are just references.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #80,247 of 149,303
So many cats with this colouring
Here's My Tux cat, Spats AKA Fat B@stard. I promise he's not dead, just spends most of his time in this or similar poses. I promised him I would immortalize him on the web.
Spats.png

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #80,248 of 149,303
I saw that someone received their Gungnir in an earlier post. Has anyone ordered an Yggdrasil and received it? I don't want to pester Amy with questions I know she can't answer because of the parts availability issues. Mine has been out there since mid-Feb, so curious to know how those shipments are progressing. I'm fine with waiting, but not knowing if I'm #2 or #2000 in a queue that may or may not be moving is a bit disconcerting.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #80,250 of 149,303
Here's My Tux cat, Spats AKA Fat B@stard. I promise he's not dead, just spends most of his time in this or similar poses. I promised him I would immortalize him on the web.
Spats.png
Now that is one cat who is comfortable in his own skin. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back