Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #78,676 of 151,193
Based on earlier chapters I would say that Schiit have always been miles away from JIT.
I would say Schitt's method of inventory always has been the opposite of JIT, more like GAMAYCFFAGP to make sure.
(Get As Much As You Can Find For A Good Price)

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #78,678 of 151,193
Re: 6SN7, I have about 10 Psvane's in a variety of issues (6SN7-UK, TII,, Treasure Globe, etc.,) and 2 matched pair of the Linlai E-6SN7 all purchased new since LYR 3 was released and Incvbvi acquired. (I like'm a lot, the tubes and the amps).
Plus a variety of about 40 more of various brands/issues mostly NOS, some matched pairs, purchased when prices were a bit more reasonable than they've gotten over the past say 2 years. And as I've said before, I believe true NOS for the most part, are as rare as hen's teeth now.
I'm good to the grave. No more throwing money at a problem I don't think I have.
Now if Jason could work out an agreement to allow Schiit to buy 6SN7 stock from one or two of @bcowen's 6SN7 warehouse's, the Schiit shortage for the LYR3 and Freya would most likely be solved until both amps are discontinued / replaced and an even better tube type comes along to incorporate into their new products.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #78,679 of 151,193
I worked as a manufacturing engineer, and also in a role between design and manufacturing known as Technology Implementation. The TI group ran new product samples on production lines, got the products qualified at the customer, then handed them over to the plant(s) who then scaled up. It was fun and we got to be close to the customers.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #78,680 of 151,193
Oh, and tubes. It seems we've cleaned out pretty much all the new production 6SN7s. Which is why you can now buy a Freya+ without tubes (and why it got a small price bump.)
Maybe re-introduce Freya S?

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #78,683 of 151,193
One of my favorite jobs was supporting manufacturing as the engineering contact. Our industry is the opposite of Schiit - $multi-million product cost, a few per year, 300-400 design engineers. My job was basically the help desk for assembly and test. Any production SNAFU and they called me, my job ended when the correct engineer said, "This is my problem, I will fix it." But all 300 or so engineers were always convinced it was someone else's problem! It is shocking how often "all parts meet spec, they went together flawlessly yesterday, today the holes do not line up." Sometimes Joe on the line could make them fit with a hammer, sometimes I got called after Joe had already done that and then someone thought, "Maybe we should ask Engineering for help?" Other fun times were, "Everything meets print but we just failed test!" Again all the engineers said, "Not my part! My part is good!" I joked that if the engineer was awakened at night their first sleepy words were, "It isn't my part!"

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #78,685 of 151,193
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #78,686 of 151,193
Just bought a new Bluetooth speaker to get a little better quality with podcasts. For podcasts, it sounds great. But for music, it sounds like a clock radio with a cheap sub attached. If this is what recording engineers are basing how they mix and master albums, it explains a lot.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #78,687 of 151,193
@EricDH 10.000 posts back in this thread I mentioned that I had the opportunity to listen to the Class D Purify Eigentakt amp, but back then Covid-19 was the spoiler.
Designed by the father of Class D amps, Belgium inventor and former Philips NatLab employee, Bruno Putzeys.

Today I had the opportunity to listen in my own environment on my own Schitt (Yggdrasil A2 Unison™, Freya-S) and Quad ESL Plus to this amp and I was impressed.
No digital glare or rough edges to be determined anywhere. I can say it is 90% up to the Aegir.
Where it lacks (just a bit) is in wideness of the sound stage, instrument placement, attack (drums and the like) and something sounded a bit off in the bass. Can't really describe what that was with bass. It was like I missed some ground tones in piano and bass was less controlled (in lack of other words).

But all in all it was very positive and not at all what I expected. Much better than expected.
When you look at the price it is a steal. € 800,00 for the stereo evaluation board set

purifi-eval1-amplifier-stereo-set.jpg

€ 220,00 for the (switched) power supply

hypex-smps1200a400-2-x-64-vdc-1200-watt-switch-mod.jpg

and € 20,00 for a casing on Ali.

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-24 195208.jpg

All cables are included, so it is complete plug and play for roughly € 1.000,00

cable.jpg

Schiit Aegir mono blocks still outperforms it, but not by length. Class D has come a long way IMHO.
Now I'm even more anxious to hear Tyr when it becomes available.

Lovely day of listening to music and evaluating this amp.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #78,688 of 151,193
Just bought a new Bluetooth speaker to get a little better quality with podcasts. For podcasts, it sounds great. But for music, it sounds like a clock radio with a cheap sub attached. If this is what recording engineers are basing how they mix and master albums, it explains a lot.

I had a client that didn't like my mastering work. She told me that her CD didn't sound good on her Bose Wave Radio...! :astonished:

Then, she complained that the pitch was off on the finished CD. Come to find out, she did the audio work herself. She used her Windows PC, using it's internal K-Mixer. She didn't know that Windows defaults to 48K. But, it was my fault...! :thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #78,689 of 151,193
@EricDH 10.000 posts back in this thread I mentioned that I had the opportunity to listen to the Class D Purify Eigentakt amp, but back then Covid-19 was the spoiler.
Designed by the father of Class D amps, Belgium inventor and former Philips NatLab employee, Bruno Putzeys.

Today I had the opportunity to listen in my own environment on my own Schitt (Yggdrasil A2 Unison™, Freya-S) and Quad ESL Plus to this amp and I was impressed.
No digital glare or rough edges to be determined anywhere. I can say it is 90% up to the Aegir.
Where it lacks (just a bit) is in wideness of the sound stage, instrument placement, attack (drums and the like) and something sounded a bit off in the bass. Can't really describe what that was with bass. It was like I missed some ground tones in piano and bass was less controlled (in lack of other words).

But all in all it was very positive and not at all what I expected. Much better than expected.
When you look at the price it is a steal. € 800,00 for the stereo evaluation board set

€ 220,00 for the (switched) power supply

and € 20,00 for a casing on Ali.

All cables are included, so it is complete plug and play for roughly € 1.000,00

Schiit Aegir mono blocks still outperforms it, but not by length. Class D has come a long way IMHO.
Now I'm even more anxious to hear Tyr when it becomes available.

Lovely day of listening to music and evaluating this amp.

FWIW, these days you can purchase complete Purifi-based amps for less than if you get the parts at retail to assemble yourself. At least in the US.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #78,690 of 151,193
The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are currently on one of the streaming services - I believe it's HBO max, but I might be wrong. If I am wrong, let me know and I'll so some searching.

I loved the comics/graphic novels when I was in college. There was a time when I named my computers after characters from them (restsudo, daigoro, azami, ...). About 20 years ago I discovered the mini-format comics (manga?) that told the entire story.

Oh, and welcome back, ORT. When I first started on this forum, I always wanted to emulate your style of wit and gruffness. You sir, are the master, and I am but a poor imitation.
Yes, I got HBOMax because of Lone Wolf and Cub and so many other Criterion films. Oddly enough I seem to have more films in my collection of tape, Laser Disc, DVD, BluRay and now 4K UHD than TCM on HBOMax have on display. I had subscribed to Disney+ primarily for the excellent (!) Mandalorian but after they fired Gina I fired Disney. Too bad. Now "Grogu" (I have one of the little animatronic thingies) and I sit and watch TCM and some newer films on HBOMax or any of my over 1,000 titles on every format I mentioned save tape as I no longer have a working SVHS machine and I am down to my last laser disc player.

Lone Wolf and Cub may well have been something of an inspiration for Favreau, albeit in a purely man and his son storyline kinda-sorta way. I really enjoyed the Mandalorian but as I have said before, I can be a stubborn toad and I even gave up Coca Cola recently because that company went weirdo woke, LOL!. That's okay, I am certain my aunties and countless cousins will make up for the three or four gallons a week I drank. :L3000:

Thank you for the welcome back and the kind words! I very much appreciate them believe me. I know that I can get on some folks nerves, including a lot of my polar opposite relatives, LOL! I suspect that as you age, your wit will sharpen so that it soon resembles the Dark Saber in its rapier like ability to slice through dour folks devoid of a sense of life, let alone humor!:beerchug:

In all ways and for always, be well my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back