Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #78,062 of 149,291
Change for sure! In my experience for the better. A few years ago I upgraded my Apogee Duetta Signatures

apogee-duetta-sig.jpg

I was curious and incrementally upgraded, finding that capacitors by far made the biggest difference. The stacked 10uf caps ran noticeably warm. After replacing with Solen CP 10's, upper mid's and high's really opened up. I did try a single CP 70 on one side, and found it sounded very different than the bridged 10's.... go figure.

I then replaced the two resistors in circuit (switch in "High" position) with Mundorf M-Resist

As most leaded (axial) film capacitors get larger in capacitance value (and diameter), the series inductance also increases since the termination leads are only connected to the electrodes at a single "point". the parallel 10's have significantly lower inductance (theoretically up to 49x) than a single 70.

aside: now that you have re-cabled / re-arranged your setup, easier to upgrade to Tyr monoblocks (wallet notwithstanding). :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #78,063 of 149,291
I don't know if it's transparent in terms of being neutral (though freq response is flat to my ears), but it is definately open, clear, extended, and alive.

The Vidar is a different story and I mean it's fine, but Freya+ is an entirely different level of thank you sirs!

Course it's new so perhaps I just have first date jitters.

76 degrees:

30 minutes, still cool. Just warm after an hour, warming up after 90 minutes, hot but touchable after 2 hours (top not tubes, not touching the tubes union says no way). I'd say keep it away from kids and pets but it's not an issue yet for me. I can feel it from five feet away.

Though I'm certain some 'objectivist' is going to assert that 'feeling' differences in temperature at the human wave length is inherently biased unless you ask me when the amp is either on or off without my knowledge. Only then does this 'warm' feeling I get from amp have any validity. Otherwise I'm simply concluding it's hot because you suggested I should see if it was.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Truly appreciated. :relaxed:

A Freya+ is next on my list. So, I was a little concerned about stories of excessive heat. But, from your description, the Freya+ sounds like it ranges in temperature fairly close to my Lyr 2. No issues with it, even after 8 hours of use at work. (Each day, not per week)...! :grin:

Also, very good to hear that you're enjoying the sound of your new preamp. I like "open, clear, extended, and alive". That should match well with the Aragon amp I'm using.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #78,064 of 149,291
As most leaded (axial) film capacitors get larger in capacitance value (and diameter), the series inductance also increases since the termination leads are only connected to the electrodes at a single "point". the parallel 10's have significantly lower inductance (theoretically up to 49x) than a single 70.

aside: now that you have re-cabled / re-arranged your setup, easier to upgrade to Tyr monoblocks (wallet notwithstanding). :)

The parallel capacitors also lower ESR, series resistance. Shifts is ESR can alter the balance between drivers. So, best to keep it matched to stock, where possible.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #78,065 of 149,291
76 degrees:

30 minutes, still cool. Just warm after an hour, warming up after 90 minutes, hot but touchable after 2 hours (top not tubes, not touching the tubes union says no way). I'd say keep it away from kids and pets but it's not an issue yet for me. I can feel it from five feet away.
So that's a little more than 24°C in the real world.
Not enough to boil your gold fish on. Good yes?

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #78,067 of 149,291
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #78,069 of 149,291
The parallel capacitors also lower ESR, series resistance. Shifts is ESR can alter the balance between drivers. So, best to keep it matched to stock, where possible.
true about the ESR aspect changing as well.

for the Apogee speaker crossover posted by @ImagesbyMurray though, the additional series resistances (including the parasitic ones in the inductors) swamp out any changes to capacitor ESR from using a single (film) vs multiple parallel (film) caps.

didn't you once post pics of a modified (already out of warranty) Saga? :thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #78,070 of 149,291
Yesterday, 4 weeks exactly since my order, Schiit shipped my Freya+ and Vidar (4-6 week ETA when ordered)… not bad at all! I live in Canada, and not too far from a major international airport mind you. I received them both today! Now for the fun part. Won’t comment on sound quality until my Bifrost 2 comes in, but that will let me burn in the Freya+ tubes in the meantime and get a feeling of pre-Bifrost sound.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #78,071 of 149,291
Define "rigorous." Here's a supposed paper comparing a balanced XLR cable to a single-ended RCA cable. LOL.

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur//papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf
That is a great article. Balanced cables beat single ended. I'm a cable denier (excluding really cheap nasty dime store cables) but I can believe balanced beats single ended.

".. at the level of HEA (high end audio), time-domain effects rather than spectral alterations are more influential on sound quality" - this quote is from the article but sounds like Mike Moffat coached them.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #78,072 of 149,291
...didn't you once post pics of a modified (already out of warranty) Saga? :thinking:

Yes. My modded Saga 1. I changed out the stock Wima caps. Switched to Mundorf EVO Oils, bypassed with AudioCap Theta film caps. That's something Schiit should offer; a premium capacitor option! :ksc75smile:

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #78,073 of 149,291
Watched most of the show (nice job as usual) and to me Tyr was the star. Man, I don't *NEED* a couple of big mono amps, but as a sucker for big iron amplifiers I *WANT* some. I'd just have to find a way to use them. Hmm. Maybe time to DIY some 85db sensitivity floor standers or something...
Find yourself some Quads!

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #78,074 of 149,291
I don't have time for games. I'm way too busy with productive stuff like micro-analyzing my music and worrying over highly theoretical and likely inaudible noise scenarios. :rolling_eyes:
Well said

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #78,075 of 149,291
Yes. My modded Saga 1. I changed out the stock Wima caps. Switched to Mundorf EVO Oils, bypassed with AudioCap Theta film caps. That's something Schiit should offer; a premium capacitor option! :ksc75smile:
Only if they call it Schiit - polished edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back