Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #77,521 of 150,730
I've been spending more time than usual with my headphones in my bed room system. It's Gungnir's fault. I've been having fun leaning how the G-DS sounds. I've decided it's not my favorite for bands like:
  • Parliament
  • Rush
  • Pink Floyd
  • Isley Brothers
However, it sounds really good for music from:
  • Mark Knopfler
  • Joe Satriani sounds pretty good
  • Most classical, especially the bit of chamber music I have
  • Small-group acoustic jazz
Overall, Gungnir DS is smooth and musical. Good detail retrieval without being clinical or dry. What I miss is the bass slam (or, given the new lexicon, should that be slaaaaam?) of my Bifrost multi-bit. It's not that bass is MIA. It's there. It extends well and plumbs depths. I want it to be more up-front, more in-my-face. Or at least I want the DAC to have that capability when the music I'm listening to warrants it. So that's what I hope I get when my number comes up in the Gungnir queue. But I hope the multi-bit board allows the Gungnir to do all the things it does so well above 200 Hz. Please don't lose that.

May 29, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #77,522 of 150,730
Nice chair. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
It used to be. The lack of air conditioning for the previous six years did a number on the fake, bonded "leather", as you can see. It's actually still pretty comfortable: the padding is still holding up remarkably well. It also adjusts to almost every height I need when looking through the scope. Overall, it was $100 well spent in Office Depot's clearance section.

Now that I've added replacement roller-blade-style wheels it also rolls nearly silently and almost too easily.

May 29, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #77,523 of 150,730
I've been spending more time than usual with my headphones in my bed room system. It's Gungnir's fault. I've been having fun leaning how the G-DS sounds. I've decided it's not my favorite for bands like:
  • Parliament
  • Rush
  • Pink Floyd
  • Isley Brothers
However, it sounds really good for music from:
  • Mark Knopfler
  • Joe Satriani sounds pretty good
  • Most classical, especially the bit of chamber music I have
  • Small-group acoustic jazz
Overall, Gungnir DS is smooth and musical. Good detail retrieval without being clinical or dry. What I miss is the bass slam (or, given the new lexicon, should that be slaaaaam?) of my Bifrost multi-bit. It's not that bass is MIA. It's there. It extends well and plumbs depths. I want it to be more up-front, more in-my-face. Or at least I want the DAC to have that capability when the music I'm listening to warrants it. So that's what I hope I get when my number comes up in the Gungnir queue. But I hope the multi-bit board allows the Gungnir to do all the things it does so well above 200 Hz. Please don't lose that.

I moved up from 72, to 68 out of 82, this week. So, the queue IS moving....slowly. :grinning:

May 29, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #77,525 of 150,730
I've given up on guessing what's up Jason's sleeve...

But my money is on SYS+ or SYSius. 😄

Otherwise known as the 'syssy'...
Bolt some VU meters in it... and some RBG lighting... and I'm all over it (sissy was a common taunt in my household... pshh). :ksc75smile:

May 30, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #77,528 of 150,730
I have 8 Vidar amps. Not sure is that would be Vidars, Vidar or Vidaaa. It doesn't really matter because with 8 of them I can not hear you anyway:ksc75smile:

Vidae

May 30, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #77,529 of 150,730
May 30, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #77,530 of 150,730
May 30, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #77,531 of 150,730
May 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #77,534 of 150,730
May 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #77,535 of 150,730
In light of no forthcoming class-D amp from Schiit, ... Waiting on a full Audio Science Review article,
Double no-no. Class D, the D stands for Disaster and with ASR it's kind of missing any emphasis on Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back