Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 26, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #77,390 of 149,298
Saga V1 is passive, with or without the tube. The tube circuit is definitely sweeter to my ears.
Freya+ lists differential amplifier (SE to balanced conversion) for both solid-state buffer and tube modes, which would imply the ability to drive dual Aegirs, Vidars from any analog source.

(added)
@StimpyWan you know you want one...

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #77,395 of 149,298
@OldRoadToad (newRoadToad???) some Modius units on b-stock...
Thank you! I went there and clicked on a b stock to place in the cart and then read that it does not allow for a return at all. So...For $20 more I will wait and get a "new" one as I have no idea whether or not the b stock unit will be physically blemished. I'm not good looking but I like my stereo stuff to be when I can! Thank you for the help though! Of course being a toad of very little brain I may change my mind and "risk" it as I could always send it to a relative like I do a lot of stuff but most of them don't even know what a DAC is.:L3000:

May 26, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #77,398 of 149,298
@bcowen I just came across this beast of an amp. You could probably heat half the UK with that beast! It looks like a tube tester it has so many:sweat_smile:

2010316_124406_OKBSKC.jpg
Awesome!! Proof positive that there's no such thing as too many tubes. :sweat_smile:

May 26, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #77,399 of 149,298
Lyr 4 in black would be awesome, although Jason never mentioned or hinted anything (so I assume not gonna happen this year)...
He's working on the bigger chassis to accommodate the 300B's. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

May 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #77,400 of 149,298
It only took two months and a half, but the itch was finally scratched:

4sMz6CV.jpg

The USB cable—in an attractive red jacket—is a standard length of 1.5m, which is just about perfect for my setup. The USB cable I'd been using, a Wireworld Ultraviolet I'd gotten from my father, was too long at 2m and made cable management a tad messier.

The 3T interconnect is a custom length of 0.6m, which is shorter than the minimum of 0.8m on the company's official price list. When I wrote them to inquire whether I could have a shorter length, I didn't think they'd reply. Mr. van den Hul himself replied a week later and agreed to supply a 0.6m version of the interconnect through their local distributor. The 3T The Mountain is van den Hul's TOTL interconnect in the 3T line, an itch I'd been wanting to scratch since they first introduced this technology in 2012. I picked them up yesterday, and the distributor said the 0.6m cable is very special because only this pair exists. Pride of ownership = off the charts :D

TnEOYQ1.jpg

The cable's pretty thick and sturdy, and they back up their claim of "no chemical / mechanical aging" with a 25-year warranty. Not that I'd expect to have to send a cable back for repair, like, ever. It also came with a SACD of classical music recorded with equipment hooked up exclusively with 3T cables:

9Z5z1sk.jpg

As previously mentioned, there are several reasons why I chose to purchase these—admittedly very expensive, although not as car-priced crazy as some of the stuff out there—cables: looks, build quality, pride of ownership, peace of mind, placebo effect, and liking the brand.

Do they make a real difference? I don't know. In the case of the USB cable, I'm actually quite sure it doesn't.

Do they enhance my enjoyment? Oh heck yes!

NjpsgPf.jpg

Nice looking cables. Interesting that VdH uses Neutrik XX series XLR connectors with the larger diameter boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back