Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 26, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #77,373 of 151,117
now you are no longer the last one in line, that's for sure. so in a misery-loves-company sort of way, you have moved up.
Thanks for that, your reply is more encouraging than @davidfrance's. :)

May 26, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #77,374 of 151,117
+1

e.g. AKG K702 comes with a TRS 1/8" plug and 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. this headphone works with SE amplifiers, but not balanced ones using 4-pin XLR connection. some headphones have user-replaceable cables to allow for connection to SE or balanced amplifiers (e.g. HD600, HD800, DCA Aeon)
Exactly. The Atticus I had came with a 1/4" phono plug. To try balanced I cut that off and installed a 4-pin XLR myself. After deciding I liked that particular head phone balanced I also decided I wanted a longer cable. For that I bought one. My cable stretcher was buried in the back of the garage at the time. I also bought a longer, balanced, cable for my HE-500, too.

May 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #77,375 of 151,117
It only took two months and a half, but the itch was finally scratched:

4sMz6CV.jpg

The USB cable—in an attractive red jacket—is a standard length of 1.5m, which is just about perfect for my setup. The USB cable I'd been using, a Wireworld Ultraviolet I'd gotten from my father, was too long at 2m and made cable management a tad messier.

The 3T interconnect is a custom length of 0.6m, which is shorter than the minimum of 0.8m on the company's official price list. When I wrote them to inquire whether I could have a shorter length, I didn't think they'd reply. Mr. van den Hul himself replied a week later and agreed to supply a 0.6m version of the interconnect through their local distributor. The 3T The Mountain is van den Hul's TOTL interconnect in the 3T line, an itch I'd been wanting to scratch since they first introduced this technology in 2012. I picked them up yesterday, and the distributor said the 0.6m cable is very special because only this pair exists. Pride of ownership = off the charts :D

TnEOYQ1.jpg

The cable's pretty thick and sturdy, and they back up their claim of "no chemical / mechanical aging" with a 25-year warranty. Not that I'd expect to have to send a cable back for repair, like, ever. It also came with a SACD of classical music recorded with equipment hooked up exclusively with 3T cables:

9Z5z1sk.jpg

As previously mentioned, there are several reasons why I chose to purchase these—admittedly very expensive, although not as car-priced crazy as some of the stuff out there—cables: looks, build quality, pride of ownership, peace of mind, placebo effect, and liking the brand.

Do they make a real difference? I don't know. In the case of the USB cable, I'm actually quite sure it doesn't.

Do they enhance my enjoyment? Oh heck yes!

NjpsgPf.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #77,377 of 151,117
I thought I recognized that Batmobile. Yep, I had watched this Jay Leno video a while back.
In the 1960s and for many years George Barris, who built the 1960's Batmobile would proudly display various cars he built in his shop, or out in the parking lot, in the San Fernando Valley--Toluca Lake? North Hollywood. I must have seen that Bat Mobile 10, 30 times?
would drive by it via the 101 fwy or sometimes we would take Braham Blvd by-passing the fwy and be right in front of his shop. Good memories

May 26, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #77,378 of 151,117
@bcowen I just came across this beast of an amp. You could probably heat half the UK with that beast! It looks like a tube tester it has so many:sweat_smile:

2010316_124406_OKBSKC.jpg

May 26, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #77,380 of 151,117
@bcowen I just came across this beast of an amp. You could probably heat half the UK with that beast! It looks like a tube tester it has so many:sweat_smile:
If I read that panel correctly, you can listen to different sources independently on the left and right channels. Feature!

ed

May 26, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #77,381 of 151,117
The MQA response:

Gaslighting much on MQA's front?

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #77,382 of 151,117
How much longer am I going to have to hold out for a black Lyr 3.. or 4 :wink:
Lyr 4 in black would be awesome, although Jason never mentioned or hinted anything (so I assume not gonna happen this year)...

May 26, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #77,384 of 151,117
Hey, who here is using a Freya+ preamp? So far, so good? Like it or love it?

I'm looking to do an upgrade from my Saga V1 preamp. Of course, the Freya+ is my first consideration. But, I want to make sure the Freya+ is worth it? A true upgrade to the Saga, and not just a Saga with balanced connections. I suppose I want to make sure the Freya+ is more than a lateral move.

May 26, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #77,385 of 151,117
Hey, who here is using a Freya+ preamp? So far, so good? Like it or love it?

I'm looking to do an upgrade from my Saga V1 preamp. Of course, the Freya+ is my first consideration. But, I want to make sure the Freya+ is worth it? A true upgrade to the Saga, and not just a Saga with balanced connections. I suppose I want to make sure the Freya+ is more than a lateral move.
Saga V1 is tube only. Freya+ has options for passive, solid-state (x1 gain) buffer, and tube (x4) gain stages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back