Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #76,666 of 152,900
I did a bit of research before making decisions on what exotic SET headamp(s) to go for, and everything aligned with 2A3, not 300B. That's what it is now, with more to come...
Interesting.

May 14, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #76,667 of 152,900
Magni IEMagni has a nice addition, look at the volume knob...it's got a highlighted dot for volume

Puuleease, an HP-48SX. Nothing so plebian as a HP41C

Griff
I was already happy with my trusted HP32SII, which unfortunately died few years ago.
HP-16C. Been using it for 35+ years. Use it almost every day. RPN rules! Here it all it's glory!
P1200011.JPGP1200013.JPG

RPN rules big time!

May 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #76,669 of 152,900
Virtual SchiitrMeet May
Touring Corpus Christi

Hey guys,

For the virtual Schiitrmeet this month, you get me...this time, taking you on a walkthrough of the shop here in Corpus Christi, then answering whatever questions you might have. You can get a quick look at how we're set up here, and see my little corner of it all. With any luck, we may be able to have a real in-person meet soon (we can have them in Texas now, which is great but we don't have a Schiitr here yet. We'll see what happens in CA.)

You don't need to limit questions to Texas--I am spending time in both Texas and California, and can answer pretty much anything. And I know, you have tons of questions. Probably most relating to backorders and such. And yeah, we're still working on it. Bottom line is that we are making progress, but demand is higher than expected.

Please note the new time--we're in Central Time here, and I wanted to get started a bit early.

Virtual SchiitrMeet May
Thursday, Mat 13, 3PM CT (1PM PST)

Questions? Send them to denise@schiit.com

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

Putting TI DAC chips, like their advanced segment ones, in DACs made in Texas would be pretty awesome. I'd love to see such a product as I really like the sound of TI 179x chip-based products.

May 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #76,670 of 152,900
Interesting.
I have always preferred to have a separate pre-amp myself such as the Freya +, I swap out tube power amps fairly often.

May 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #76,671 of 152,900
My Dad, a former slide rule warrior in his college days, taught me at least basic multiplication and division with a slide rule. I still have the plastic one he bought me when I was a kid.

When I went off to college I begged and pleaded with my parents to replace the little Casio "scientific" calculator I used in high school with an HP 11C. They finally relented and allowed me to spend the outrageous sum of $40 for the calculator. How quaint is that these days? $40? Anyway, I was nearly instantly addicted to RPN and four registers instead of a single value memory. Such luxury.

The next year I sold my 11C and splurged for a 15C ($70!) because of the matrix functions. They were really useful in statics and dynamics classes. Finally, in my junior year, jealous of the HP-48 owner, I sold my 15C and bought that 42S ($200!!) I posted earlier today. I even programmed it a bit. Like I had a scare a few years ago when I dropped it and it stopped working. I was able to find a man who repaired HP calculators. He was having issues in his personal life, but finally fixed my calculator and then promptly retired. I am super-extra careful with it now.

A few years ago I missed my 15C so I started stalking eBay and got an original, not a reissue, in decent condition, but I had to pay $200 for it. At least they were 201x dollars, not 1998 dollars. :) It's amazing how slow it is.

When my daughter was in high school I bought her an HP-xx, I can't remember the model, but @ghfiii posted a photo of it a bit earlier. It was so complicated neither of us figured out how to use it. I miss classic HP calculators. To me, the pinnacle of purpose-built devices of their kind. I, like @AudioGal, like the little tactile "snap" of the keys. Excellent ergonomic touch. For that reason alone I don't have an emulator on my phone.
There is a nice 42S iPhone app.

May 14, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #76,672 of 152,900
I did a bit of research before making decisions on what exotic SET headamp(s) to go for, and everything aligned with 2A3, not 300B. That's what it is now, with more to come...
2A3's are very nice too. Lower power output, but more than enough for a headphone-only amp. Cheaper too, even NOS varieties.

May 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #76,673 of 152,900
Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #76,674 of 152,900

2A3's are very nice too. Lower power output, but more than enough for a headphone-only amp. Cheaper too, even NOS varieties.

Why not just go for an amp that supports both 2A3 and 300B? :wink:

May 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #76,675 of 152,900
I was glad to hear another batch of Freya S may be coming. I love mine and hope those that are interested can take advantage of the upcoming opportunity!

A lot of folks here are showing HP scientific calculator love here which I don't think is too surprising based on this type of forum and cross-section of people. I started with a HP35 which I don't have anymore, then an HP29C (in a box somewhere) an HP41CV (with all 4 function card slots full), HP 32S, and the only non-RPN model, a HP 10bII Financial Calc. Cheers
 HP 29C.jpg

HP41CV 32S 10bII 1500-.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #76,676 of 152,900
Why not just go for an amp that supports both 2A3 and 300B? :wink:
Because more amps is more better. What's wrong with you? :stuck_out_tongue:

May 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #76,677 of 152,900
Just read an article about foods and what to avoid, with the typical culprits of salt, fat and sugar being at the top of the list. Salt fat and sugar. Now I'm hungry for BBQ.

May 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #76,678 of 152,900
Just read an article about foods and what to avoid, with the typical culprits of salt, fat and sugar being at the top of the list. Salt fat and sugar. Now I'm hungry for BBQ.
And now I want some bacon. :smile:

May 14, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #76,680 of 152,900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back