Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #76,247 of 149,545
Luxury!

So my first machine was a PDP10 (at York University), after that a PET2001 (non-chiclet keyboard) and thereafter I went to work for Tandy. I sold a LOT of TRS-80s. The commercial systems introduced a 5MB (yes MB) Winchester drive and it was UK# 9,999.
I started on a Honeywell 200 back in 1974. Learned COBOL and Fortran on that machine. From there on to Control Data 6000 series. Did not get a PC until the 80286 era. Man do I feel old.

May 6, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #76,248 of 149,545
I started on a Honeywell 200 back in 1974. Learned COBOL and Fortran on that machine. From there on to Control Data 6000 series. Did not get a PC until the 80286 era. Man do I feel old.
:older_man:

I am JOKING about it, most people are still on that side for me, I still write my age (👶) starting with a 2 in the decades place.

May 6, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #76,249 of 149,545
Run the preamp outs from the Vali 2 into the analog inputs on the Jot 2.
Thanks. Forgot to mention. How could you also incorporate a Bifrost 2 in the mix?

May 6, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #76,250 of 149,545
Thanks. Forgot to mention. How could you also incorporate a Bifrost 2 in the mix?
Bifrost 2 RCA (SE) out into the Vali2, Vali2 pre out RCA (SE) into Jot2 RCA (SE) inputs, set Vali2 to 'hi' gain, and turn its volume pot down until the volume is about the same as before placing the Vali2 in the chain.

If you want to run balanced all the way, (but not fully differential balanced with respect to the Vali2 tube stage), then you will need 2x Vali2 (one for each channel) plus specially-wired XLR-to-dual-RCA phase splitter / phase combiner cables.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #76,251 of 149,545
Technophobe: first computer was my step-father's IBM PC ("original" with an 8088 processor). Had 5-1/4" floppy drives. My brothers and I used to play Mech Warrior on it. We'd start a battle and set our mechs walking toward the enemy. Then we'd go downstairs and visit with Mom and have a snack. Back upstairs to check on progress. Back downstairs to joke with Mom. Back upstairs to start shooting.

We each took a copy, on a floppy disc, to college to play in one of the computer labs. By that time the 386 was out. That processor was so fast we didn't even have time to fire once after hitting <ENTER> to start the game. It had "flashed" and was over before we could hit another button.

May 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #76,252 of 149,545
Bifrost 2 RCA (SE) out into the Vali2, Vali2 pre out RCA (SE) into Jot2 RCA (SE) inputs, set Vali2 to 'hi' gain, and turn its volume pot down until the volume is about the same as before placing the Vali2 in the chain.

If you want to run balanced all the way, (but not fully differential balanced with respect to the Vali2 tube stage), then you will need 2x Vali2 (one for each channel) plus specially-wired XLR-to-dual-RCA phase splitter / phase combiner cables.
Amazing! Thank you!

May 6, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #76,253 of 149,545
Does anyone still have a working laser disc player? Please PM me...

May 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #76,254 of 149,545
I had one until I moved last year. Sold the laserdisc player and about 20 movies. The guy that bought them practically skipped down the driveway. I was just glad someone who could appreciate them got them.

May 6, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #76,255 of 149,545

If doing balanced, are paired tubes needed?

May 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #76,256 of 149,545
There was a question for @Jason Stoddard that got nuked because one of my posts contained a reference to the unmentionable thing that has permeated our lives over the last 15 months, so I shall repeat it:

Jason, I was wondering if you could share any insights concerning the manufacturing challenges that you may have experienced specifically with the Magni 3+ since the pandemic "thing" began. The reason I am asking is because I foolishly sold my launch Magni 3+ unit and was thinking of getting another one. However, I noticed at least 5 posts during the last year (mainly on Reddit) where people said their Magni 3+ units went up in smoke, fortunately without taking out the attached headphones.

I am just wondering if you ever identified what may have been causing these failures and whether it was addressed in the current production model. I am sure you sold tons of these, and I know this kind of stuff happens, but I thought it was worth inquiring.

perhaps those units that failed: were run at the bottom of a stack with the vents obstructed (AFAIK, there is no thermal pad between PCB and case bottom 'sled' so the heat is removed via those top cover vent holes); or these were gerry-rigged to be used as desktop / nearfield speaker amps (based on the max power rating).

if you purchase a new one with the right credit card, you can double the warranty to 4 yrs, or queue-up for an Asgard 3 that has a thermal interface "gap pad" between the PCB and case bottom, in addition to the top case vents.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #76,257 of 149,545
If doing balanced, are paired tubes needed?
I would think that would be best, unless you are running the Vali2's in low gain (presumably gain of each channel is dominated by high precision resistors on the circuit board and not the gm of the tube sections). @Jason Stoddard might be able to shed more light on this (non-typical application) ...

(added)
in the case of Bifrost 2, both the SE RCA and Balanced XLR stages use the same output circuits, so no need to employ 2x Vali2-- just use a single Vali2 via RCA pre-out into the Jot2 RCA inputs, which will convert the SE signal from Vali2 into balanced differential (Nexus circuit topology). :L3000:

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #76,258 of 149,545
perhaps those units that failed: were run at the bottom of a stack with the vents obstructed (AFAIK, there is no thermal pad between PCB and case bottom 'sled' so the heat is removed via those top cover vent holes); or these were gerry-rigged to be used as desktop / nearfield speaker amps (based on the max power rating).

if you purchase a new one with the right credit card, you can double the warranty to 4 yrs, or queue-up for an Asgard 3 that has a thermal interface "gap pad" between the PCB and case bottom, in addition to the top case vents.
I specifically wanted the Magni 3+ since I am getting a very low-impedance, low-sensitivity planar that could benefit from the added driver stage in comparison to the Asgard 3. If you compare the performance between the Magni 3+ and the Asgard 3 at low impedances (32 Ohm), the Magni 3+ has way less distortion because of this.

May 6, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #76,259 of 149,545
I came over a used bifrost and lyr 1. seller want a offer.

what is a fair price?
Lyr 1 may be adapted (socket saver + adapter) to 6SN7 tubes. Some folks consider that a bonus over the Lyr 2. Auctions have them from around $150 and up. $200 appears to be common.
Bifrost depends: as tincanear pointed out.
If local to you and you are talking to the seller ... offer like $200 for everything and see how it goes. Never know unless you ask.
$200 for a Bifrost and Lyr is a steal, especially if Bifrost is multibit.
Multibit Bifrost and Lyr 1 6SN7 adapted is a very nice kit.
JMTC & YMMV

Edit: for a reality check; there is a Bifrost MB with Gen 5 USB, shipped, on the "For Sell" asking $385.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #76,260 of 149,545
This is what I get when connected directly to the router. $100/month.

Speed2.jpg
I wish there was a "dislike" button .... In the meantime I'll just say that hurts me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back