Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #73,126 of 149,767
I was going to quote a post to remind everyone about the topic but I can't find it, so:

A few days ago we responded to a forum member's wish to take his Modi multi-bit for a walk. During the barrage of posts another member stated the Modi wall-wart's output is AC. I'll be darned, I must have seen what I expected rather than what was fact: they do have AC output. Given that, I have this question: if the Modi has "outboard voltage reduction" and "onboard rectification", what would happen if it was supplied with DC power of the correct voltage? Wouldn't DC simply pass through one half of the rectifier unchanged? So couldn't a Modi be supplied with a battery?
for modi multibit, magni3+, a DC wall wart (e.g. +5V or +12V etc... won't work). You need AC. since the power connection is only 2 conductors (instead of 3 with center-tapped transformer output as would be used for an on-board transformer), the polarity of the input voltage must alternate to generate the positive and negative voltages needed for the half-wave but opposing dual-polarity internal voltage regulators (LM317 LM337 78xx 79xx or similar).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #73,127 of 149,767
My polite girl waiting to go for a walk.
Beautiful Vizsla!!
My parents used to have 2 boys. Best dog breed ever :)

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #73,129 of 149,767
Here is a pic of the ridge of hair on her back. It looks like it stands up but it actually grows in the opposite direction.

Attachments

• FE29EC28-75FB-48E8-BB1C-E5F637E0BAFA.jpeg
    FE29EC28-75FB-48E8-BB1C-E5F637E0BAFA.jpeg
    974.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #73,130 of 149,767
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #73,131 of 149,767
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #73,132 of 149,767
Thank you. She is my music buddy. She loves to sit at my feet when I'm listening to my headphones. Of course for movies or speaker listening she has to be on my lap. A 85 lb. lapdog.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #73,133 of 149,767
i was thinking to myself that the dual mono-block-mode Vidars might a BIT overpowered to run those small (surround???) satellites.
It is even worse because they are "efficient" Klipsch speakers, I can probably run them off the Asgard without issue. Worked fine with the old amp but I did the electronics before the speakers (probably bass akwards).
Changing the subject:
I know I have had a few good tradespeople cuss me out when I first started out. Still have some do that, but it is a lot rarer. Although I almost got slapped today - making a SAP thing and we changed from a SVC to a STATCOM and I didn't plan on updating the 3 letter shorthand for SAP from SVC to something else, our EE corrected me.
Funny, engineers swear and drink because of penitents...
I thought we were pedantic (and drank because of each other)? Also, we drink because of bad salespeople (good ones are amazingly rare).

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #73,134 of 149,767
All this talk of engineers reminds me of this old story:

Three lawyers and three engineers were travelling by train to a conference. At the station, each lawyer bought a ticket whereas the engineers bought only one ticket between them.

‘How are you going to travel on a single ticket?’ asked one lawyer.

‘Wait and watch’, answered one of the engineers.

When they boarded the train, the lawyers took their seats, but the three engineers crammed into a toilet and closed the door behind them. Shortly after the train started, the ticket collector arrived. He knocked on the toilet door and asked, "Ticket, please." The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand. The ticket collector took it and moved on.

Seeing this, the lawyers decided to the same thing on the return trip so when they arrived at the station they bought only one ticket. To their astonishment, the engineers didn’t buy any. ‘How are you going to travel without a ticket?’ asked one of the perplexed lawyers.

“Wait and watch”, answered an engineer.

In the train, the three engineers crammed into a toilet and the three lawyers into another nearby. Soon after the train started, one of the engineers got out of the toilet and walked to one where the lawyers were hiding.

He knocked on the door and said, "Ticket, please…"

JC

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #73,136 of 149,767
All this talk of engineers reminds me of this old story:

Three lawyers and three engineers were travelling by train to a conference. At the station, each lawyer bought a ticket whereas the engineers bought only one ticket between them.

‘How are you going to travel on a single ticket?’ asked one lawyer.

‘Wait and watch’, answered one of the engineers.

When they boarded the train, the lawyers took their seats, but the three engineers crammed into a toilet and closed the door behind them. Shortly after the train started, the ticket collector arrived. He knocked on the toilet door and asked, "Ticket, please." The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand. The ticket collector took it and moved on.

Seeing this, the lawyers decided to the same thing on the return trip so when they arrived at the station they bought only one ticket. To their astonishment, the engineers didn’t buy any. ‘How are you going to travel without a ticket?’ asked one of the perplexed lawyers.

“Wait and watch”, answered an engineer.

In the train, the three engineers crammed into a toilet and the three lawyers into another nearby. Soon after the train started, one of the engineers got out of the toilet and walked to one where the lawyers were hiding.

He knocked on the door and said, "Ticket, please…"

JC

It's been a while since I've travelled on a train but I know some of those ticket collectors can be very strict. Check out what happened to this guy.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #73,138 of 149,767
Mar 11, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #73,139 of 149,767
Really bud? You know I work at home.

1. Please get your cameras out of my house.

2. Thats not my back you are looking at...
Yeah. I was trying to keep your wife and kids out of this, but you've forced my hand. The wife texted me and asked me to find a way to tell you without you knowing it was them. Be a stand-up guy and just do it without telling you know it was them. 😒

Oh and Zoom says you're banned. 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back