Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #72,843 of 149,274
When you were typing this statement have you not considered that banks have surived for hundreds of years?
The ones that did created new products all along.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #72,844 of 149,274
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #72,845 of 149,274
This has to be one of the most epic forum threads in the entire history of internet forum threads. To be honest, there is little chance I could ever read all of it, but I give utmost kudos to those who have done so. It is basically the Schiit Bible, as far as I can tell.

But, unfortunately, I've never had a chance to listen to any Schiit audio products. Not once. Never. I got into hi-fi about a decade ago, just after I moved abroad to east Asia (I never returned to the US except for short visits with family). I do like companies that embrace particular sound signatures, and have a "house style." For example, Marantz is everywhere, and they are very famous for the "Marantz sound." I've been reading an awful lot about Schiit, and I think that I would really get along with it.

Still...Why no Schiit? Well, basically, it is a US domestic company, with only a US domestic market, and negligible international presence. This is very different than start-ups in China, you've heard their names, their products are shipped and available in every little corner of the world, in every voltage possible, and they are dominating the global market...but only a little Schiit trickles through to the masses. A company like Topping is available for purchase at basically the same price point to billions of people around the Earth, next day delivery to Amazon Prime customers worldwide...but Schiit, on the other hand, can only be obtained (in principle) by a few hundred million souls (and a few abroad who go through an international trader to get some good Schiit).

Why is this? I really don't know. I can say that, without a doubt, the China hi-fi sector is in a killer business position, not only with respect to supply and production costs, but also the extent to which their products are disseminated across the world so quickly and easily. I see the same situation for some (but not all) other US hi-fi producers, such as Bel Canto. China has also made sure to have a variety of small companies competing with one another, neck-and-neck, using the principles of competitive fields to keep the market vibrant and evolving and growing stronger.

What gives? Is it a matter of not wanting to give a Schiit? Or is there a big disadvantage to being a small business in the US that makes it difficult to get products out into the world? Or something else?

Apologies if this has been answered before, but even if it has, the subject may be worth dredging up again and putting it out there. I would like to see some Schiit where I live, but there must be some kind of bottleneck that prevents that from happening. If there is a desire to do something about it, what can we do?

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #72,846 of 149,274
The ones that did created new products all along.

I'd have to disagree with you there @earnmyturns.
Banks are not product manufacturers ;they are primarily service providers and most banks offer pretty similar core products.
I know of one Bank, founded in London in the 17th century, whose working practices ( and their main office) didn't really move out of that century until about 10 years ago :relaxed:
It has survived though, as it has a niche, and loyal, customer base, predominantly Lawyers and other Professionals in the City.
It doesn't have any particularly innovative, or class-leading products, but has differentiated itself from the competition by offering personal service, which is something of a rarity in Banking, at least here in the UK.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #72,847 of 149,274
Not a fan of the rough cut lines in the knobs. Add a pretty cap on the end or something.
Welcome to the thread, @CT007 ... I ended up replacing knobs on my Magni and Vali because of those meh-quality plastic caps (with felt and scavenged from a medical scrap yard weighted-microsocope dials). This kludge made me satisfied. I'm not touching (DIY disastering) my Heretic.

What do I want? I'd like the same tactile and smoooooth tracking of the JDS Labs El Amp (I'd of course end up having to pay $100-300[?] more for such a Magni X). I can't expect that from Schiit Audio.

Appropo of nothing: I was trying to track down a dead channel in my nook. For curiousity (and to verify my Chromebook's USB port), I plugged in my Fulla 2 into my Chromebook and attempted to drive my Beyerdynamic (600ohm) cans (no auxilliary mini-USB power added). Unsuprisingly, I had to crank my Fulla's knob all the way clockwise to hear tunes. I know this is a silly thing to do (Fulla isn't designed to drive such 'phones). I like discovering the limits of my kit.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #72,848 of 149,274
Every piece of wire is a resonate antenna at the right frequency.

A story to illustrate - A lifetime ago, a local band I did sound for used to play occasionally in a rock club that happened to be next to a good size antenna farm. There were two UHF TV stations, a couple local FM transmitters and a 5KW AM station on the site. The club was known for tormenting bands with poorly built sound systems. Ours was relatively noise free, we had splitter transformers in the mic snake (main and monitor mixers), transformer coupling from front of house into the amplifier racks, etc. Our keyboard player had this funky keyboard that ALWAYS picked up a stunning amount of noise from the transmitter site. The keyboard player tried all sorts of things to quiet it down, including wrapping it in aluminum foil, which actually made a difference but wasn't perfectly quiet. The second time we played there, I stopped the sound check, walked up to the keyboard, lopped 15 inches off the power cord and put a new plug on it. It was dead quiet when powered back up. The entire band looked at me as if I was an evil witch who'd just turned the keyboard player into a frog. Sometimes you just need to detune the antenna.
I immediately starting thinking about that scene from This Is Spinal Tap... when they were doing a gig at a U.S. Airforce base. :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #72,849 of 149,274
This is the one I'm waiting for too. Something Jot sized for ~$650/750 that features-wise would slot in between the Mini and Max.
That would be my sweet spot as well.
Still affordable enough for my budget, and size-wise should be possible to fit it in the system somewhere.
As it is, the Lokius Maximum that's now on the table will, unfortunately, not be in the cards for our home system!

I'll most likely order a Loki Mini+ some time in the near future. :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #72,851 of 149,274
From the Darko Audio website, regarding availability at the other side of the pond. Indeed strange that not even a small part is getting overseas. You would expect that if the turnover, before huge back order period, outside US is 10% (complete guess) that this is reflected in current production and distribution...

Excellent question from Fletch and indication from Darko for @Jason Stoddard & @Baldr :

Fletch writes…

Hi John & Team,

I know that John has interviewed the guys from Schiit in the past and also made comment on the availability of their products in the UK and EU.

However, it now seems that the UK based “distributor” for Schiit has got no stock, and no idea when they are getting any – I confirmed this today with them over a chat on Facebook. Now, while I understand that you can’t (and probably won’t) comment on individual manufacturers and stock etc. that would be bonkers, however, I did wonder if other US-based companies are having issues supplying the UK/EU or vice versa?

If you can nudge the Schiit crew, that would be ace, but maybe there’s another bigger story here as to how the COVID-19 pandemic has effected Hi-Fi. Having had a lengthy conversation with my guy at Frank Harvey HIFI Excellence in Coventry, it seems they’ve had a bumper year, the problem has been getting enough product in.

Cheers, stay safe etc.

Fletch

Me: I hear ya. It’s hard to get Schiit gear in Europe right now but I am sure you can appreciate that it is not possible (or prudent) for me to comment on the reasons why. That’s their job!

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #72,852 of 149,274
I don’t know a lot of stuff but I sure as heck never knew this. This article refers to a quadraphonic tape system in this Rolls but unless it’s a reel to reel which is even ridiculous for this beast I have no recollection of quadraphonic cassettes. Was this a thing?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-08/rolls-royce-camargue-designed-by-pininfarina-is-ugly-vintage-car-gem?
utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

Just want to know if the feature would be included in an upcoming Schiit cassette player.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #72,853 of 149,274
Just want to know if the feature would be included in an upcoming Schiit cassette player.
LOL! I'm sure if Schiit ever makes a cassette player it will be octaphonic. :laughing:

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #72,855 of 149,274
I don’t know a lot of stuff but I sure as heck never knew this. This article refers to a quadraphonic tape system in this Rolls but unless it’s a reel to reel which is even ridiculous for this beast I have no recollection of quadraphonic cassettes. Was this a thing?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-08/rolls-royce-camargue-designed-by-pininfarina-is-ugly-vintage-car-gem?
utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

I remember a quad 8 track system.
Info here:
https://8trackheaven.com/collecting/quadraphonic-8-track-tape-players/the-quad-faq/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back