Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #72,811 of 149,296
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #72,812 of 149,296
“We listened to a variety of MQA playback products, and to a variety of MQA encoded recordings. ...

Read the full article here:
http://www.iar-80.com/page170.html
The writer of that story keeps talking about doing a "technical analysis" but mostly just asserts that he's right and the rest of the world is wrong. I detect delusions of grandeur when he leads off by claiming:
"This article will directly affect and influence millions of you around the world - virtually all of you who have a digital signal anywhere in your home entertainment system (or professional A/V equipment). To be honestly candid, this is probably the most influential article ever published on digital (especially when all its installments are released and assembled together)."

And: "Thus, this article will also shock thousands of digital engineers around the world, into realizing that most of the digital products they have designed for the past 34 years are fatally defective, actually butchering the signal, rather than correctly reconstructing the original signal in the time domain from the digital samples. This article will show them that, despite their noble intent and brilliant brains and PhD digital education, they actually have such utter lack of comprehension, about how the basics of digital actually work, that they commit 100 huge blunders in their designs of the digital products that millions of you have purchased."

And: "The overall title of our serial installment article, Digital Done Wrong, is actually modest. We expose and analyze 100 blunders that today's digital engineers erroneously believe and practice. Many of these blunders are so severe that the belief and practice of digital engineers, and the supporting media, are actually backwards, the very opposite of the truth about how digital actually works. The numerousness and the severity of all these digital engineering blunders make it clear that the digital engineering community doesn't have a clue in comprehending how digital actually works."

The dude is crazy.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #72,815 of 149,296
LOL! I really loved performing and strongly considering switching as well because being a professional Euphonium player is like being a professional didgeridoo player. But I had only ever wanted to teach and fell in love with conducting as my main focus.
I trust that you only do it in private. I believe that you can be arrested for playing with your didgeridoo in public...........

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #72,817 of 149,296
I actually don’t follow your reference... I absolutely love Brass Bands. It has been years since I’ve listened to them but recognize several of the groups you listed. I once sat in with the Brass Band of Columbus (Ohio), founded by Euphonium great, Paul Droste. The euphonium parts are insanely difficult but a blast to play. I have plans to visit England when the Covid scare is finished and then maybe I will enjoy a pint and some music!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goon_Show#Lurgi

In order to be immune or to be cured it is necessary to buy a brass instrument from Hoosey and Bawkes.

If you enjoy zany British humor - especially that which led to the Pythons - you should check out The Good Show. Here is the entire edition form the 50s radio show: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lurgi+Strikes+Britain

Cheers

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #72,819 of 149,296
I trust that you only do it in private. I believe that you can be arrested for playing with your didgeridoo in public...........
Sick joke alert (after a bottle of Cartuxa): I always dreamt of playing my OWN didgeridoo in private...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #72,820 of 149,296
The writer of that story keeps talking about doing a "technical analysis" but mostly just asserts that he's right and the rest of the world is wrong. I detect delusions of grandeur when he leads off by claiming:
"This article will directly affect and influence millions of you around the world - virtually all of you who have a digital signal anywhere in your home entertainment system (or professional A/V equipment). To be honestly candid, this is probably the most influential article ever published on digital (especially when all its installments are released and assembled together)."

And: "Thus, this article will also shock thousands of digital engineers around the world, into realizing that most of the digital products they have designed for the past 34 years are fatally defective, actually butchering the signal, rather than correctly reconstructing the original signal in the time domain from the digital samples. This article will show them that, despite their noble intent and brilliant brains and PhD digital education, they actually have such utter lack of comprehension, about how the basics of digital actually work, that they commit 100 huge blunders in their designs of the digital products that millions of you have purchased."

And: "The overall title of our serial installment article, Digital Done Wrong, is actually modest. We expose and analyze 100 blunders that today's digital engineers erroneously believe and practice. Many of these blunders are so severe that the belief and practice of digital engineers, and the supporting media, are actually backwards, the very opposite of the truth about how digital actually works. The numerousness and the severity of all these digital engineering blunders make it clear that the digital engineering community doesn't have a clue in comprehending how digital actually works."

The dude is crazy.
IMO ... that is why the Schiit DACs sound so good. Mr. Moffat gets it right :)

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #72,821 of 149,296
We'll see. Yes, many companies will have a more distributed, less often at the office workforce. But those who go completely remote will suffer from it over time, as projects take a lot longer to spin up and coordinate.
You are probably right @earnmyturns
However, it looks likely that COVID will mean a permanent change to many employers' working practices.
Last year, the Institute of Directors (IOD) in UK, conducted a survey of around 1,000 employers about their policies for 'home working'.
This is a summary from BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54413214

As an example of what is happening, HSBC has announced that it will close 40% of all worldwide offices and Lloyds Banking Group will close 20% of its offices.
It is not just Banks who are looking to cut costs in this way.

A move to 'home working' won't be welcomed by all!

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #72,822 of 149,296

The dude is crazy.
If digital really needs fixing, Elon Musk will reach out to Mike Moffat and they'll get it done right. :wink:

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #72,824 of 149,296

The dude is crazy.
Many people are crazy.
Magical thinking increases with socio-econcomic status -- see Steve Jobs, etc on alternative medicines, etc.
Best to be curious but critical.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #72,825 of 149,296
You are probably right @earnmyturns
However, it looks likely that COVID will mean a permanent change to many employers' working practices.
Last year, the Institute of Directors (IOD) in UK, conducted a survey of around 1,000 employers about their policies for 'home working'.
This is a summary from BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54413214

As an example of what is happening, HSBC has announced that it will close 40% of all worldwide offices and Lloyds Banking Group will close 20% of its offices.
It is not just Banks who are looking to cut costs in this way.

A move to 'home working' won't be welcomed by all!

Bank customers' private financial information accessible by bank employees using their home networks and equipment. What could go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back