Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #7,172 of 149,745
1) I don't have a passive in-line mechanical balance control; whether it be a knob or a slider.  No one makes that as far as I can tell. The best I can find are noisy mixers, but I need to set the volume of each left-right channel, which is different from a balance or panning.

Buy two Sys units. Put one on each channel. Done for under a c-note. You're welcome.

Cheers! :cool:

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #7,174 of 149,745
  Alright, I think I've got this. One of the new products will be ... a device that combines two digital signals into one.

I much prefer thinking a turntable that uses a laser to scan grooves and output digital signals to a DAC instead of using a needle. Just me?

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #7,175 of 149,745
  I much prefer thinking a turntable that uses a laser to scan grooves and output digital signals to a DAC instead of using a needle. Just me?

I think this product exists already:

http://www.decodedmagazine.com/the-eip-laser-turntable-plays-records-without-touching-them/

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #7,176 of 149,745
  I think this product exists already:

http://www.decodedmagazine.com/the-eip-laser-turntable-plays-records-without-touching-them/

Darn, so its not a less expensive version of that. I guess I gotta start saving up, that's a hefty price tag

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #7,177 of 149,745
  Darn, so its not a less expensive version of that. I guess I gotta start saving up, that's a hefty price tag

Yes, I think I'd rather get something else.  lol!  You could get a beautiful $3000 needle based turntable and still have $12,000 left over!

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #7,183 of 149,745

Why a DAC?  Why not read the grooves analog and just stay that way?  Unlike a CD the information of the record is variable intensity, not digital.

But a laser reading the record would be outputting digital signal as it needs to interpret grooves

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #7,185 of 149,745
  But a laser reading the record would be outputting digital signal as it needs to interpret grooves

But there are no 1 and 0's or on's and off's on a record.  The signal from the laser would be variable (voltage preferably, so you can output to rca's for an amp or preamp)

Keep in mind that laserdiscs, those old big ones, were analog.  They weren't digital at all.  To get a digital signal from a laser reading an analog source, you'd need an ADC.  So why go ADC and then put it into a DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back