Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #70,651 of 151,360
Had some time to kill this afternoon as it 38 degrees (c) outside, too hot to do any work in the yard. So, I have updated the sine wave to Version 4 with some (I think) appropriate additions and changes.

Here's the change log :
Updated : Sine Wave to one created in Excel, better resolution (24 bit vs 16 bit... hehehe), pretty shadow effect
Updated : Added Schiit Logo (Hopefully @Jason Stoddard allows this)
Updated : New chapters now also can discuss new products (There you go Jason, feel free to add a new product to each chapter, no pressure)
Change : Spread Topics across two cycles, making space for new “approved” topics
Change : BBQ now = BBQ Wars
Change : Some topics repeat
Added : Monty Python Life of Brian + subtopic "Let’s Learn Latin" :relaxed:
Added : I Want …
Added : Custom Product Aside (eg 32 bit Loki Maximus, with super-dooper-whatchamacallit-accurate widgets, in red because it matches my car)
Added : Moonshine (as a fully approved Booze sub-topic)
Added : DIY Hover Vehicles (and other DIY transportation fun)
Added : Esoterica (Just in case)
Added : B-Stock

Here you go :

R O F L!! I love it!!

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #70,652 of 151,360
Do you have any other motivation for moving away from your Mac Mini besides that it is getting older?

I'm new to Roon (a couple of months) and still running it on my daily laptop, but I'd like to put it on a separate machine. I'm considering the Mac Mini M1, which I'd run headless and also as a NAS server. Are there any advantages for a NUC with Roon Rock over a Mac Mini M1? BTW, my Roon endpoint is on WiFi (Raspberry Pi4 with Pi2AES).

Mini is good, but expensive! for me NUC/ROCK (wired) was the key to getting good performance with Roon. I tried having Roon run on both Mac and Windows and was not happy.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #70,653 of 151,360
Is there any big advantage to putting the files on a NAS, vs on an SSD on the Mac Mini Core?

For me, I want to use my music outside of Roon - for example when I'm traveling) and use the same files tec. I do that by adding pointers in Plex to the same set of files on the NAS as used by Roon. Then I can use PLexAmp (Thanks @roygbiv6) to stream to e.g. the car.
I see putting music on the ROCK as having it siloed. Silos are bad. :wink:
YMMV

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #70,654 of 151,360
re: Roon ROCK. While Rock is a very efficient operating system, I believe it is limited and offers no ability to add on any other Linux software such as a backup routine or other services. It is very easy to add Roon Core to any Linux based system, so if running support software like B/U outside of Roon is important to you, consider alternatives.
I have no problem with that - from what i can see, the music library is exposed as an smb share, so scripting a backup to another device shouldn't be a problem. I also keep personal / business / photography files on a NAS, but also do not depend on it as a "backup".

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #70,656 of 151,360
Talking about Roon.
The one thing I very much miss is a "consuming" playlist.
That means, I can start a playlist as a copy and when a track from the list is played it is removed from the list. So the list is consumed.
So when I start a long list the next day I'm sure only the reaming numbers are played and not any I have heard the day before. Shuffle doesn't do it for me.
Had that once in a music app, can't recall what it was called, and I miss it ever since.

Shuffle is absolutely brain dead on Roon. It doesn't shuffle the whole pile and has a tendency to not be random. The same stuff plays in the same (or similar) order each time.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #70,657 of 151,360
I can run Roon on my Synology, but it was intermittently laggy - even though files were demonstrably adjacent to the core. I have a DS918+, so it should work in theory. Decided KISS meant ROCK, but I didn’t mind having an additional piece of hardware to make everything smooth like butter.

.... But Roon is not for the faint of heart - which the price of the software alone should make clear; I always say that if you get in, you need to be open to eventually needing to make changes to hardware to make it run like you want. personally, and I am SO VERY grateful that they release and support ROCK.

@JohnnyOps As someone who definitely falls into the 'faint of heart' category when it comes to computers, I will stay away.:beyersmile:
I would probably love Roon if I installed it, along with the necessary hardware to make it run properly, but I'm not sure I would enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #70,658 of 151,360
@JohnnyOps As someone who definitely falls into the 'faint of heart' category when it comes to computers, I will stay away.:beyersmile:
I would probably love Roon if I installed it, along with the necessary hardware to make it run properly, but I'm not sure I would enjoy the journey.
So ROCK not for you, but dedicated devices like Nucleus Server are just appliances. Also Innuous has a CD player/server. Zen mini can play Cds, be a Roon end point or even roon server.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #70,659 of 151,360
iTunes will do that. In Roon the closest yo can get is to make sure the loop function is off, and then once a shuffle mode from the Tracks screen is started do not stop it until it has played every track in your library - then it will stop unless Radio is on and you are subscribed to a streaming service. This is not very convenient of course. You could also generate a playlist and make sure the loop function is off, then it will play the list in order and stop at the end, never repeating.
As soon as you leave the playlist for something else (I do that, sorry) the list is reset and all tracks in the list are in play again. :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #70,660 of 151,360
I have no problem with that - from what i can see, the music library is exposed as an smb share, so scripting a backup to another device shouldn't be a problem. I also keep personal / business / photography files on a NAS, but also do not depend on it as a "backup".
Yep. 100%
I moved from using NAS as the “root of truth” to having my USB in my ROCK be the “source of all truth”.
Synology “backup for business” keeps an up to date copy on my NAS, “glacier backup” sends it to AWS, and then I have lifecycle settings send it to deep glacier, so my bill for keeping a real true off-site deep backup of all my 3TB of music is something like $3/month.

And I point plex at the Roon SMB share, though I very rarely use that, but it works.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #70,661 of 151,360
As soon as you leave the playlist for something else (I do that, sorry) the list is reset and all tracks in the list are in play again. :frowning2:
In my system, if I "pause" the playlist for whatever else I need to do then come back to it a day or so later, it picks up where it left off.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #70,662 of 151,360
In my system, if I "pause" the playlist for whatever else I need to do then come back to it a day or so later, it picks up where it left off.
I leave the playlist to play other music and want to go back to the playlist later on without "resetting" the playlist.
I can't pause a playlist, like put it in the background, and come back to it in it's last status.
So I have playlist runnng for background music. Now I want to go to individual tracks (not on this list) and come back to the playlist later or the next day.
I may even have closed Roon. No way the software has any recollection where I left off. The player I was referring to earlier did all that.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #70,664 of 151,360
It's not for everyone, that's for sure. My wife enjoys using Roon, Plex and other software but wouldn't deal with any of it if I didn't set it all up for us.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #70,665 of 151,360
I have a question for those here who are smarter than me...

I currently have Yggy—->Freya—->Mono Vidars. I just got a Mjolnir 2. What is the best way to move the MJ2 into the chain? Should I incorporate it separately via SE from the Yggy or fit it in front or back of the Freya with balanced?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back