Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #70,141 of 145,580
Not to be a parade rainer, I'm never buying another Schitt product, and I don't recommend anyone else do until they change their ways.

I bought two different models of DAC, both failing within a couple of years with what turns out to be the same hardware issue.
This sounds ridiculous, but it's some sort of hardware issue that can be overcome with heating the DAC with a hairdryer each time you restart your computer, which obviously isn't tenable longterm.
Schitt customer service finally admitted the issue to me, but didn't offer any help, advice, discount, apology. Their response was: "buy a new model".
This is after two DACs, dozens of hours debugging, and buying tons of different USB cables at their recommendation.

Schitt doesn't stand by their products or customers. Buyer beware.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #70,142 of 145,580
Not to be a parade rainer, I'm never buying another Schitt product, and I don't recommend anyone else do until they change their ways.

I bought two different models of DAC, both failing within a couple of years with what turns out to be the same hardware issue.
This sounds ridiculous, but it's some sort of hardware issue that can be overcome with heating the DAC with a hairdryer each time you restart your computer, which obviously isn't tenable longterm.
Schitt customer service finally admitted the issue to me, but didn't offer any help, advice, discount, apology. Their response was: "buy a new model".
This is after two DACs, dozens of hours debugging, and buying tons of different USB cables at their recommendation.

Which model, and who were you communicating with at Schiit? I'm curious, especially if you have the email strings. PM me if you want.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #70,145 of 145,580

I've had the exact opposite experience interacting with Schiit Customer Service.

They are always prompt to respond to emails and helpful when dealing with repairs.

This is the first I've heard of such an issue with Schiit DACs. I hope your problem gets resolved.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #70,146 of 145,580
Its about fu--ing time!!!! I have been urging them to make a good CD transport for years.
Thank you for your valued assistance, Ableza. Have you had a chance to try the Urd?
Me? No. I was a Unison beta alpha/beta tester, but have not seen an Urd.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #70,147 of 145,580
I've had the exact opposite experience interacting with Schiit Customer Service.

They are always prompt to respond to emails and helpful when dealing with repairs.

This is the first I've heard of such an issue with Schiit DACs. I hope your problem gets resolved.
I have had amazing experience with Schiit customer service as well.

To be fair, I have heard of these types of issues with the original Modi and Modi 2 as these devices aged. I can only surmise that this happened way after the warranty expired. Perhaps it's all due to the usage of lead-free solder :) Hopefully our more recent electronics using lead-free solder will age more gracefully.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #70,148 of 145,580
Not to be a parade rainer, I'm never buying another Schitt product...

Don’t worry about your rain... plenty of us have umbrellas made of great products, prompt service, and amazing audio based experiences thanks to Schiit.

As far as I’m concerned this whole thread is a monumental case against this “don’t care about their customer” claim. The cofounder directly replied to your forum post, haha.

I’m not saying mistakes don’t happen. Schiit is run by humans. All humans make mistakes. That’s why we learn, iterate, and improve. And i don’t just mean in terms of iterating product lines like Modi -> Modi 2 -> Modi 3 etc i mean in terms of how we deal with difficulties in our life and the problems we face.

There are an inexplicable number of different factors in running a sucesseful small business. I don’t claim to be an expert in this regard, but in my experience and especially thanks to Jason and his regular updates we have unique insight into his against-all-odds, made in the USA, high end audio disruptor company that is Schiit.

I am grateful this company exists. I hope you have better experiences in the future.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #70,149 of 145,580
Not to be a parade rainer, I'm never buying another Schitt product, -etc.-
Posting a tirade like this is really not helpful unless you would like to include a few details. Were you the original purchaser of the devices? Were they under warranty? Did you get an RMA and return them to Schiit?

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #70,153 of 145,580

phthysic

Only 29 posts over (near as dammit) 13 years. If this offends phthysic I apologise, and I am jaded over my 25 years of forum browsing but these numbers are pinging my suspicion meter. Could be something, more than likely nothing. All I can say is I've been perfectly happy with the Schiit products I've used over the years and my, now my brother's, Magni 2/Modi 2 combo has six years near enough of sterling service since I bought it in 2015 and Schiit customer service has always answered the few questions I've asked of them over the years quickly and politely. But they're not perfect.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #70,154 of 145,580
But dude, we still haven't figured who has the best BBQ.
That ship sailed long ago. California BBQ tri-tip, on the beach, in July, with a Gordon Biersch or three. No contest.

:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back