Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #68,884 of 155,177
Erm, are GE tubes that bad? I think some of those I am using are GE but I can't identify them due to lack of the chalk markings

Look for etched dots on them, if there are, then as I understand it, they’re of GE manufacture regardless of markings.

Alternatively, you could just send them to @bcowen, if he can’t identify them by smell then he sure can by ear :ksc75smile:

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #68,885 of 155,177
Look for etched dots on them, if there are, then as I understand it, they’re of GE manufacture regardless of markings.

Alternatively, you could just send them to @bcowen, if he can’t identify them by smell then he sure can by ear :ksc75smile:

Ha! He breaks out in hives if they cross his threshold 😉

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #68,886 of 155,177
My Jotunheim 2 arrived yesterday and I quickly mated it with my Modius DAC and started running it through its paces with all kinds of music and various headphones, single ended and balanced. Except some microphonic issues with my iSINE cable I found the Jot 2 Modius combination very nice; crisper, spacious sound and maybe just a tad more bass. I tested with Audeze iSINE 10 in SE, Audeze LCD-2C in SE & Balanced and a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT in Balanced. I know this is only generation two but I feel it is more than a step above the original Jotunheim, simply superb.

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #68,887 of 155,177
Aaaand my order has been delayed another three weeks. Damn you covid

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #68,889 of 155,177
JOT 2 arrived this morning. A testament to the effectiveness of Schiit’s internal packaging; the Fed X man didn’t want to make the long trip all l the way up to the third step and onto my front stoop porch (all cement of course). He was carrying the little carton right side up and flipped it onto the porch from the second step so it landed upside down. The tape on the top was torn a bit but otherwise the carton was intact.

I opened and placed the JOT 2 alongside my LYR 3, hooked it up, both balanced and SE, fired it up, and put on my usual test CD just to make sure it was working. “Ralph” the Christmas Dog was left / right / center / in phase / out of phase. This flip delivery method might not work so well with a Ragnarok or Yggdrasil, or at least I won’t attempt it.

So now I let it cook for a couple days with a CD since I'm up to my neck in Christmas stuff to do.

1608757839434.png

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #68,891 of 155,177
Enjoying Jotunheim 2 very much since Monday. Excellent with HD650 and Aeolus. So far I like it better than Asgard 3 which I loved. It's more lively maybe not as class A sounding, much better extension in the highs. Same with lows. Runs remarkably cool, cooler than Asgard 3.

No issues with any switches, volume feels nice. Dead quiet amp also but haven't used anything but 300ohm headphones. Difference between high and low gain level matched seems non existent to me. Not the case usually Asgard 3 and other amps. I like that...

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #68,892 of 155,177
Kiitos samoin! Ja hyvää uutta vuotta!
Dank U zeer! Voor jou ook een geweldig tweeduizendeenentwintig toegewenst! -we also have some long words- :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #68,893 of 155,177
JOT 2 arrived this morning. A testament to the effectiveness of Schiit’s internal packaging; the Fed X man didn’t want to make the long trip all l the way up to the third step and onto my front stoop porch (all cement of course). He was carrying the little carton right side up and flipped it onto the porch from the second step so it landed upside down. The tape on the top was torn a bit but otherwise the carton was intact.

I opened and placed the JOT 2 alongside my LYR 3, hooked it up, both balanced and SE, fired it up, and put on my usual test CD just to make sure it was working. “Ralph” the Christmas Dog was left / right / center / in phase / out of phase. This flip delivery method might not work so well with a Ragnarok or Yggdrasil, or at least I won’t attempt it.

So now I let it cook for a couple days with a CD since I'm up to my neck in Christmas stuff to do.

1608757839434.png

I have the "Ralph the Christmas Dog" test CD! I used to use it at the mastering studio where I worked. I played it every time we did an equipment change, to double-check the set up.

Thanks for bringing back that memory!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #68,894 of 155,177

1608757839434.png

Are those Herbies' Tenderfeet, or Hudson HiFi feet, that I spy under your amps?

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #68,895 of 155,177
I finally decided to bite on power amps for my system, opting for a pair of Vidar's which will connect to my Freya S. Should be interesting comparing to my current Sumo Andromeda II. I know Jason has teased larger amps in the future, but I'm getting several offers on the Diana + Andromeda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back