Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #65,896 of 151,562
snip
I used to mess with everyone in the office over that... I would switch letters on their keyboards (I remapped mine to DVORAK and kept the physical keyboard as QWERTY so no one could mess with mine) I still lock my PC every time I get up even working at home alone...

My favorite thing to do in the late 90's early 00's was to screenshot their PC, move all their desktop icons to a hidden folder, move the taskbar to the top or side and hide it, then set said screenshot as their wallpaper and sit and watch :)
And the absolute worst one of the 'pranks' to apply in early windblows was to change the color of all text, background, foreground and everything else to black.
And then just wait until they re-booted…
It was an evil prank requiring a complete system reload… :scream:
Unless someone knew ALL of the command key equivalents for navigating AND could remember how to get to the color assignment palate AND knew the computer was running normally, in the first place…:smirk:

I figure only a died in the wool computer geek would ever use this and probably only against another geek, just because…:thinking:

JJ

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #65,897 of 151,562
It got me out of Missouri so... yea.
Yeah. I got to see Kansas and Arkansas (from 20ish metres underground <sigh>)...

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #65,898 of 151,562
Oct 20, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #65,899 of 151,562
Oct 21, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #65,900 of 151,562
It is sort of like when people ask "How are you", they don't actually want to know. LOL

If you ask a Finn how they are, you get an honest, unfiltered answer. It has confused some foreigners every now and then.
It also took me some time to learn the "right" way to respond to that question.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #65,901 of 151,562
And the absolute worst one of the 'pranks' to apply in early windblows was to change the color of all text, background, foreground and everything else to black.
Unless someone knew ALL of the command key equivalents for navigating AND could remember how to get to the color assignment palate AND knew the computer was running normally, in the first place…:smirk:

I figure only a died in the wool computer geek would ever use this and probably only against another geek, just because…:thinking:
hahahaha .... I remember that one, and did it a couple of times to some unwary colleagues, as I did know the solution by the key commands and could reverse it. It was a lot of fun!

My favorite thing to do in the late 90's early 00's was to screenshot their PC, move all their desktop icons to a hidden folder, move the taskbar to the top or side and hide it, then set said screenshot as their wallpaper and sit and watch :)
Another classic prank ... good memories

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #65,905 of 151,562
533.JPG

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #65,908 of 151,562
The scope is a Tektronix 555 dual beam oscilloscope, really 2 scopes in one. With over 100 vacuum tubes, it was a dandy room heater.
I was wondering if that was a 555. I do love me some boat anchors!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #65,909 of 151,562
Then we had these two...565 on a cart and then we got the new super duper 7104!

Had one of these in the lab back in grad school (late 80's). Then, when I got a real job, we needed to measure laser pulsewidths a little more accurately than the 100 MHz (I think) scope we had. I sweet-talked my advisor into letting me borrow this beast for the day and had to borrow a coworker's 4Runner to haul it and its cart from the university to the office. Now we have one of the current Tek "scoputers" in the EE lab. More than my f-ing car when it was new and still hobbled without full functionality. Fun times, eh? :relaxed:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #65,910 of 151,562

JJ
Wow, yeah that's hardcore! I never did anything that couldn't be undone within a few seconds if you knew what was going on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back