Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #65,881 of 152,987
re: vehicle reliability. I've owned at least one vehicle from Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Plymouth, Cadillac, Lincoln, Tesla and Chrysler. By far the most troublesome was a Lincoln and the least Tesla. From Europe I've owned MBZ, Maserati, VW, Peugeot, Renault and Triumph. The best was Benz, the worst by far (most unreliable vehicle I ever owned) the Renault. From Japan I have owned Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi with the Honda being indestructible and the Toyota needing multiple CV joint replacements in under a year. As in all things, YMMV.
Years ago I took my 1998 Nissan to a mechanic for a small issue. He took one look and said "If everybody drove what you drive I'd go broke." He then patted his belly and said "Ford keeps me fat!" Side note: the Nissan is still running alive and well.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #65,884 of 152,987
This is the new 98% norm in American conversation. When someone discloses he/she was in the military, the autonomic response is "Thank you for your service." Whether this further evolves into a collective willingness to actually DO anything the help veterans and their families remains to be seen.

Yeah, feels it bit awkward when some one says that, especially when I think about how uncomfortable I felt wearing my uniform while on shore leave back in the day.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #65,885 of 152,987
Years ago I took my 1998 Nissan to a mechanic for a small issue. He took one look and said "If everybody drove what you drive I'd go broke." He then patted his belly and said "Ford keeps me fat!" Side note: the Nissan is still running alive and well.
A friend has an ancient, indestructible, Honda CRV.
A local mechanic said ‘If there’s a nuclear war, two things will survive- cockroaches and Honda CRVs’ :beyersmile:
Here are a few acronyms:
FORD- Fix or Repair Daily
FIAT. Fix it Again Tomorrow
LOTUS Lots of Trouble Usually Serious.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #65,886 of 152,987
A friend has an ancient, indestructible, Honda CRV.
A local mechanic said ‘If there’s a nuclear war, two things will survive- cockroaches and Honda CRVs’ :beyersmile:

That would result in a very sad world -- a bunch of bugs, and vehicles without accelerator pedals. :grimacing:

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #65,887 of 152,987
One of my favorite xscreensaver modes is "BSOD", which features kernel panic-like responses from various OS'es. I'm sure many here will recognize more than me, but there's the windows BSOD, and death screens from amiga, sunOS and others, as well as a ransomware splash. Some joker even added a nuclear core meltdown :wink:

I first discovered it a couple of decades ago when my employer-provided PC ran Windows, back in the day when Windows would crash and BSOD at least weekly. I finally got frustrated enough to install Linux on it with the BSOD screensaver. From then on, every time the PC threw a BSOD, all I had to do was log in and get back to work :wink:

Sysinternals has a BSOD screen saver that i have gotten many people on. In the days of dumb terminals if someone did not lock it we ran an exec that mapped the pressed key to a different output value

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #65,888 of 152,987
My first job at IBM: My job was to keep it ALL running!
1130 Computing system and that the punch card reader in the back!
Notice the old Tektronix Oscope on the right....wonder why it was there!!

ibm1.JPG
That IS an old scope! The power supply for it is on the bottom of the rack.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #65,889 of 152,987
Another option for Mac users to consider is using iTunes and buying the $10 Bitperfect app from the App store. I've compared the sound to Audirvana and JRiver and honestly prefer the iTunes with Bitperfect combo. Worth checking out for comparison. http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/p/what-is-bitperfect.html
True! I like(d) it but it doesn’t work with SonarWorks on and iTunes with SW sounds even better. Ideally SW is running independently but I didn’t get that far yet.

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #65,890 of 152,987
Tonight is Schiit Asgard 3 night with the HEDD headphones from Klaus and Freddie in Munich!

Awesome combination!

a3.jpg

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #65,892 of 152,987
It's become a political requirement in post 9/11 in America, almost like a reflex action in some circles. Here in Arizona I usually just smile and say thanks.
I generally just respond with a "It was my pleasure" and move on. It is sort of like when people ask "How are you", they don't actually want to know. LOL

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #65,894 of 152,987
One of my favorite xscreensaver modes is "BSOD", which features kernel panic-like responses from various OS'es. I'm sure many here will recognize more than me, but there's the windows BSOD, and death screens from amiga, sunOS and others, as well as a ransomware splash. Some joker even added a nuclear core meltdown :wink:

I first discovered it a couple of decades ago when my employer-provided PC ran Windows, back in the day when Windows would crash and BSOD at least weekly. I finally got frustrated enough to install Linux on it with the BSOD screensaver. From then on, every time the PC threw a BSOD, all I had to do was log in and get back to work :wink:

Hahahha I used to run that screen saver or one very similar like 25 years ago...

It was a decade or two later than the earliest days, but I'm sure many grizzled veterans of the IS trade looked forward to new Usenet installments about the person Operator from Hell...

My innocent girlfriend at the time asked me, "Why is he so mean?"

I use to LOVE reading these!

Sysinternals has a BSOD screen saver that i have gotten many people on. In the days of dumb terminals if someone did not lock it we ran an exec that mapped the pressed key to a different output value

I used to mess with everyone in the office over that... I would switch letters on their keyboards (I remapped mine to DVORAK and kept the physical keyboard as QWERTY so no one could mess with mine) I still lock my PC every time I get up even working at home alone...

My favorite thing to do in the late 90's early 00's was to screenshot their PC, move all their desktop icons to a hidden folder, move the taskbar to the top or side and hide it, then set said screenshot as their wallpaper and sit and watch :)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #65,895 of 152,987
Hahahha I used to run that screen saver or one very similar like 25 years ago...

I use to LOVE reading these!

I used to mess with everyone in the office over that... I would switch letters on their keyboards (I remapped mine to DVORAK and kept the physical keyboard as QWERTY so no one could mess with mine) I still lock my PC every time I get up even working at home alone...

My favorite thing to do in the late 90's early 00's was to screenshot their PC, move all their desktop icons to a hidden folder, move the taskbar to the top or side and hide it, then set said screenshot as their wallpaper and sit and watch :)
I used to name dos folders with a trailing asci 255 which was a space so noone could get into the folders unless they typed alt 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back