Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 19, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #65,839 of 150,362
I used J. River Media Center on Windows for at least 10 years. I would still be using it, on macOS, if not for the fact that I kept getting kernel panics. Happened on two different Macs, too.

Audirvana works well and is the equal to JRMC in sound quality.

Hmm, wonder why it is that Colonel Panic keeps appearing at odd addresses, what General Failure is doing reading my disks, and why General Error always seems to pop up where least expected. I dunno what they expect to find? I mean, I keep all my Schiit out of the computer anyways... :thinking: (it’s in its own shelf on the side :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #65,840 of 150,362
Hmm, wonder why it is that Colonel Panic keeps appearing at odd addresses, what General Failure is doing reading my disks, and why General Error always seems to pop up where least expected. I dunno what they expect to find? I mean, I keep all my Schiit out of the computer anyways... :thinking: (it’s in its own shelf on the side :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
They are searching for Major Malfunction, who started all of this mayhem.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #65,841 of 150,362
What is a "kernel panic"?

I like Audirvana's graphics. However, I chose JRiver instead because, at least with the trial version, Audirvana didn't seem to have file management equal to JRiver and I didn't see the equivalent to the "smartlists" either. Many of JRiver's other features I don't use (e.g. multi-zone, digital equalization, skins, on and on) so I wouldn't care if those features weren't supported by the competition.

A kernel panic is a system crash on macOS, more or less.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #65,843 of 150,362
DSCF1069-kopie.jpg

We have a well known organ builder in Belgium that has a huge variety of these.
If you grew up in the south of The Netherlands (like I did) you have visited at least a dozen of "dance cafés" that feature these kind of organs in the weekends.
Not my choice, but my parents' so I had to come along.

DSC_8090-2.jpg

And if you want make your own song

DSCF1125-kopie1.jpg

How to do that?
Just like this.

DSC_7827-kopie.jpg

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #65,845 of 150,362
DSCF1069-kopie.jpg

We have a well known organ builder in Belgium that has a huge variety of these.
If you grew up in the south of The Netherlands (like I did) you have visited at least a dozen of "dance cafés" that feature these kind of organs in the weekends.
Not my choice, but my parents' so I had to come along.

DSC_8090-2.jpg

And if you want make your own song

DSCF1125-kopie1.jpg

How to do that?
Just like this.

DSC_7827-kopie.jpg
So THAT's what CD burners used to look like!

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #65,846 of 150,362
A kernel panic is a system crash on macOS, more or less.
A kernel panic is a safety measure taken by an operating system's kernel upon detecting an internal fatal error in which it either is unable to safely recover or cannot have the system continue to run without having a much higher risk of major data loss.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #65,847 of 150,362
A kernel panic is a safety measure taken by an operating system's kernel upon detecting an internal fatal error in which it either is unable to safely recover or cannot have the system continue to run without having a much higher risk of major data loss.

I know I've had kernel panic. Some mornings I wake up and feel that I've suffered "an internal fatal error". Comes with age...! :tired_face:

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #65,848 of 150,362
I know I've had kernel panic. Some mornings I wake up and feel that I've suffered "an internal fatal error". Comes with age...! :tired_face:
Especially when you get a message that says "Unit is beyond economical repair'. A sobering assessment of your existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back