Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 19, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #65,821 of 148,978
I have read a suggestion for the EH 6CG7 in the Valhalla. I never actually tried it when I had that amp, but some people seemed to like it.
The 6CG7 is pin compatible with the 6N1P, amplification is a little lower, plate (anode) resistance is higher. Heater requirement and pin-out is the same. So it could work. I have some, when I get them out of storage and am able to try them, I'll report back. Interestingly the 6CG7 is just a 6SN7 in a smaller envelope with a 9 pin Noval base.

The 6N6P doesn't really have an equal. Or one that comes really close. The new ECC99 seems to be the same tube with a different label & number, but I'll need to buy a couple to confirm.

Guess it's time to build a tube curve tracer.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #65,822 of 148,978
Nice colours. I have a work trip to Stockholm in February unless the covid postpones it again (already happened twice). I suspect Sweden will be covered in snow by then, as we will be - hopefully.

Hopefully, yes. Last winter we saw very little snow and what little we had melted away almost as soon as it came.

I spy that you also have Bifrost 2/Lyr 3 combo. Are you enjoying yours?
I own Bifrost 2 and ordered Lyr 3 a couple of months ago, but due to part shortages I’m still waiting for mine

Yes, I have them as my primary setup and enjoy them very much! :L3000: Highly recommended!

Lyr3 is also great if you want to see if tube rolling is something for you, as you only have to change the one tube, and it responds very well to tube rolling in my experience.

I hope you get yours soon, please post your impressions when you have listened to them for a while :smiley:

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #65,823 of 148,978
So there is a source, would they be Redbook standard 16/44.1? :) Not certain if it would work with the computer card reader, even if I cut the roll up into separate cards. :smiling_imp: Perhaps I would do better cutting the roll into narrow strips and using a paper tape reader.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit - removed extra quoted text..

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #65,824 of 148,978
Agree, it's not a proper computer unless it uses punched cards, magnetic tapes, transistors* and magnetic core memory - if it was good enough for Apollo it should be good enough for anyone. (The first computer that I ran FORTRAN programs on matched this description; it was an ICT 1500, a licensed copy of the RCA 301 with some UK peripherals.)

Not quite certain how such a computer would interface with a Schiit DAC and not sure if there is a great catalogue of music available on punched cards! :)

* Most people here 'know' that discrete circuits are better than integrated circuits, although some members might prefer thermionic valves (tubes) to transistors. Some might even prefer an analogue computer for its lack of digital artefacts. :beerchug:

I worked for the successor to ICT, ICL, for a number of years!

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #65,825 of 148,978
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #65,826 of 148,978
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #65,828 of 148,978
So there is a source, would they be Redbook standard 16/44.1? :) Not certain if it would work with the computer card reader, even if I cut the roll up into separate cards. :smiling_imp: Perhaps I would do better cutting the roll into narrow strips and using a paper tape reader.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit - removed extra quoted text..

See? You're already thinking about it, a new project!

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #65,829 of 148,978
I started work programming on a System 4/70. I did my initial COBOL course and Usercode conversion at Beaumont.

I was due to go to Beumont, then they discovered I was also doin Open University courses and sent me away. I got a job with Tandy to pay the rent, enede dup running the Northern Region Computer Centre in Manchester, did a startup, then joined ICL after all, running etc (then new) UNIX software portfolio in Bracknell. Don't know that I ever did a course at Beaumont, but I spent a number of weeks at Hedsor!

Cheers

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #65,830 of 148,978
I used J. River Media Center on Windows for at least 10 years. I would still be using it, on macOS, if not for the fact that I kept getting kernel panics. Happened on two different Macs, too.

Audirvana works well and is the equal to JRMC in sound quality.
What is a "kernel panic"?

I like Audirvana's graphics. However, I chose JRiver instead because, at least with the trial version, Audirvana didn't seem to have file management equal to JRiver and I didn't see the equivalent to the "smartlists" either. Many of JRiver's other features I don't use (e.g. multi-zone, digital equalization, skins, on and on) so I wouldn't care if those features weren't supported by the competition.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #65,831 of 148,978
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #65,832 of 148,978
I chose JRiver instead because, at least with the trial version, Audirvana didn't seem to have file management equal to JRiver and I didn't see the equivalent to the "smartlists" either.

+1 here. I tried Audirvana and the library management just wasn't there for me as compared to JRiver. I do like the Audirvana UI and look, but beauty is only skin deep.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #65,835 of 148,978
You got me there, but then again, I use JRiver more for my local library management and playback. I use Bubble UPnP to stream Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz, etc., via my music server.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back