Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #61,651 of 150,453
Being in IT, to me it currently represents the dreaded Denial of Service!! :wink:

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #61,652 of 150,453
Being in IT, to me it currently represents the dreaded Denial of Service!! :wink:

Which is far better than Denial of Schiit. That would be bad. :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #61,653 of 150,453
Stop scaring me like that!!!! :grimacing:

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #61,655 of 150,453
I bought a laptop with Vista a good while back and almost became a Mac fanboy in short order. :) :)
I skipped ME, Vista, and 8 completely... I held out on 10 as long as I could, but when 7 was no longer supported we were forced to switch...

Yep. My Vista laptop was my last windoze machine. The laptop really perked up when I put Ubuntu on it and I still think it's a solid OS.

My personal machines are all Linux, but I'm still chained to MS for my work machines and my iRacing rig, 10 isn't bad once you disable a bunch of stuff and make a couple registry tweaks etc...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #61,656 of 150,453
My Dad worked for IBM for 35 years, and anything with a fruit logo on it was pretty much verboten without voiding an invitation to Christmas dinner. :) I cut my computer baby teeth on DOS 1.10, and while I have nothing against Macs I'm too old and too ingrained to change now. Fortunately Windows isn't near as bad now as it used to be, but I'm still more comfortable with a command prompt at times as it's easier than trying to find the Windows command that seems to be relocated with each new version. :frowning2:

DOS 1point10.jpg
Now that is weird, my step-father was an IBM lifer. When he retired, he went back as a contractor. We had an entire bookshelf of those funny little books from IBM. Almost makes me willing to forgive that, "Texas BBQ is made in China" crack.

Almost

Good thing you resisted the Cult of Apple.
Apple fans are kind of cultish, aren't they? I am also too lazy to really switch to Mac. I have a Mac Mini which I use for a media server. Every time I have to do anything except open my media program I have to curse: OS-X is just different enough from Windows to drive me crazy. I wish MS hadn't driven nearly everyone else out of the software market. I miss WordPerfect especially. That program, at least when I was using it, would do what you told it to do. I spend a lot of time undoing what Word tires to do for me because I hate the default formats. I also hate how so many functions are hidden levels deep in the menu tree. One thing Coade has done well is preserve the legacy command line and function key short cuts in AutoCAD.

I skipped ME, Vista, and 8 completely... I held out on 10 as long as I could, but when 7 was no longer supported we were forced to switch...
My personal machines are all Linux, but I'm still chained to MS for my work machines and my iRacing rig, 10 isn't bad once you disable a bunch of stuff and make a couple registry tweaks etc...
I have a friend who is also way more comfortable with computer systems than I am (TBH, our dog is more comfortable with computer systems than I am). He also runs Linux and does his own security. He says commercial security is better than nothing... by a little bit.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #61,657 of 150,453
re: using a Freya or other preamp with a headphone amp. In general, this is not necessary since headphone amps (at least all of them from Schiit) are integrated amps with preamp functions built in. That being said, there is no reason why a user could not use a preamp with a headphone amp, and my advise is to set the headphone amp volume level to the max that does not induce clipping, and then control the volume using the preamp.

what about setting of the HP amp gain switch? I would think best S/N ratio would be with the HP amps gain set to "low", otherwise its amplifying the noise from the preamp's gain section.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #61,658 of 150,453
It's obvious you are very critical and difficult to please.
Do you really think someone can give you a realistic advise?
Perhaps a short first impression about the Bifrost I MB recently delivered to me. Holy cow, did the Bifrost bring bass out of my Mjolnir/ HE-500 pairing. I did not expect that. I have been quite busy, so I don't have any more to report at this time, but there is a possibility my headphones were not the source of my dissatisfaction, the DAC or amp in my DAP might have been. That makes a certain amount of sense, I like my A&K DAP with one of my IEMs but not the other. More details soon.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #61,659 of 150,453
Almost makes me willing to forgive that, "Texas BBQ is made in China" crack.

You are far more forgiving than I. Because of that comment, I have unfriended @bcowen on the Facebook. :unamused:

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #61,660 of 150,453
Sadly, I have even fewer minutes listening to my Loki. I think it will do what I decided I wanted it to: act as an old school "loudness button". My HE-500 have good bass when pushed, but I generally prefer to listen at low level, so physics, darn the physics, says I won't have bass volume. With the Loki's bass control turned up to 5-1/2 (that's one half of "turned up to 11"), music is pleasantly weighty. The bypass initially seems transparent enough. As with the Bifrost, more later.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #61,661 of 150,453
You are far more forgiving than I. Because of that comment, I have unfriended @bcowen on the Facebook. :unamused:
I did end that part of my post with, "Almost". bcowen is still in the dog house.

Without any ribs in his dog bowl.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #61,663 of 150,453
Almost makes me willing to forgive that, "Texas BBQ is made in China" crack.
I've lived in TX for 42 years and his comment was a perfectly crafted yet overachieving comedic insult. Still laughing at it. :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #61,664 of 150,453
After Windows XP I switched to Apple. This was based on horror stories I'd heard about Window-post XP at the time. I think Apple products still lead in intuitive use. But all personal computers suffer from shoving you toward needing the latest in computing. At times it is planned obsolescence, but other times "unplanned obsolescence occurs between the interplay of software upgrades, hardware upgrades, the insane need push both to the point of almost breaking, and external forces: you "need" to run this program for your job, school, in order to apply for welfare, or to unlock your car. No, you "need" some latest and greatest computing because the some coder or designer decided using a smartphone to open a car door was "cool."
Anyway, Apple also screws things up, but in a different way. The newer Apple computers and software cost a premium, and then you find out they've removed some functionality. Or whole programs. Not exclusive to Apple is the "upgrade," aka "your file muncher." In ITunes some years ago, an upgrade took it up itself to remove "duplicate files." It removed songs with the same name/title. Nothing could go wrong there?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #61,665 of 150,453
Now that is weird, my step-father was an IBM lifer. When he retired, he went back as a contractor. We had an entire bookshelf of those funny little books from IBM. Almost makes me willing to forgive that, "Texas BBQ is made in China" crack.

Almost

Apple fans are kind of cultish, aren't they? I am also too lazy to really switch to Mac. I have a Mac Mini which I use for a media server. Every time I have to do anything except open my media program I have to curse: OS-X is just different enough from Windows to drive me crazy. I wish MS hadn't driven nearly everyone else out of the software market. I miss WordPerfect especially. That program, at least when I was using it, would do what you told it to do. I spend a lot of time undoing what Word tires to do for me because I hate the default formats. I also hate how so many functions are hidden levels deep in the menu tree. One thing Coade has done well is preserve the legacy command line and function key short cuts in AutoCAD.

I have a friend who is also way more comfortable with computer systems than I am (TBH, our dog is more comfortable with computer systems than I am). He also runs Linux and does his own security. He says commercial security is better than nothing... by a little bit.

WordPerfect was the first computer program I learned to do anything on. It had a great command: reveal codes. It showed you the codes "behind" text that formated the text. By deleting the formating text you could remove words, punctuation, BOLD lettering, etc., or insert codes to do that.
Every program should have something like that if relevant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back