Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #61,681 of 149,134
Congrats!!!

But wait...envisioning and drawing up a fully laid-out plan for the audio setup is the *first* qualification for any home purchase. Price, neighborhood, square footage, # of rooms, pool, condition, fixer-upper needs.....all of that is secondary. :) :)

Oh, I already have been envisioning and planning. Two channel system will stay in my bedroom (just need to figure out how to fit it, but that can be figured out once I am in the room with the stuff), home theater will stay in living room. I have Max2Play for raspberry pi and am using it to run LMS. I will probably get a few extra RPi's. One for the living room which will act as the main server that feeds the nodes in my bedroom and the kitchen. Which means getting a speaker for the kitchen.

Oh, and I want to get a tape deck and disc player that can handle SACD with 5.1 for the living room.

Then probably a Hel and a pair of powered speakers for the computer room. Windows has an app to act as a sqeezebox player so I do not need to worry about having a Pi in that room.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #61,682 of 149,134
You can go very far down that rabbit hole, but for acquisition Audacity is free and more than competent. To go from micro-cassette to reel-to-reel, a decent set of RCA cables and a good preamp with a tape loop will probably do what you need.
I second Audacity. It allows various bit rate samples. I have used it for ripping some old reel to reel tapes using a behringer UCA202. I put some of the flac files in a dropbox and could link to them when I am not at work if people want. The rips I made were mostly for some recordings my dad made from radio broadcasts.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #61,684 of 149,134
@Jason Stoddard when are the PYST XLR will be available? I'm waiting on that to make my purchase of the modius.
If you don’t want to wait, I’ve been using Mogami 2549 w/ Neutrik XLRs for quite a while. They are considered mic cables. They are available in various lengths from Worlds Best Cables on Amazon and are in the PYST price range. I am currently using a 20‘ pair between my BF2 and Jot.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #61,685 of 149,134
If you don’t want to wait, I’ve been using Mogami 2549 w/ Neutrik XLRs for quite a while. They are considered mic cables. They are available in various lengths from Worlds Best Cables on Amazon and are in the PYST price range. I am currently using a 20‘ pair between my BF2 and Jot.

can you point out the link? thanks.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #61,686 of 149,134
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #61,687 of 149,134
Not only that but when I checked the "Keep music media folder organized" box it rearranged the entire folder structure to suit its needs. Hundreds of files moved into a "compilations" folder etc. Not a problem if one only accesses their music with iTunes but didn't work well with others. Took me weeks to undo that mess. Re-ripped all my CDs to flac and started using Jriver Media Center until I switched to Roon last year.

Well... I actually like that feature, although I can see where people who depend on an existing folder structure might not. If you change the classification of an album, iTunes will move it appropriately. When I first started using it I thought of "best of [artist]" albums as compilations. When I decided they weren't I went in and changed the classification. Just like that "Best of Husker Du" was in the Husker Du folder, while "Best of 60s Garage Rock" stayed in the Compilations folder . Makes perfect sense to me.

That being said if you have a carefully curated existing folder structure, there is a setting in iTunes that lets you leave music files in their original location. I prefer not to do that.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #61,688 of 149,134
Anyone think there is a possibility the future CD Transport could play blu-ray audio? I’m still on the fence about getting one since I have already ripped my CDs and use Qobuz through my Mac mini. I don’t foresee myself diving into SACDs (unless the price is right for the transport and it plays then). But if a transport can handle blu ray/ hi Res discs, I’m definitely throwing my money at it.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #61,691 of 149,134
Nah, just type in Command.exe in the search box on the nav bar and you're in... Nice thing is that you can still pipe stuff to a file!
If I have to use a MAC for any period of time I add a link to Terminal (or whatever it's called) / shell prompt on the task bar so I can escape the GUI's clutches whenever the need arises.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #61,692 of 149,134
If I have to use a MAC for any period of time I add a link to Terminal (or whatever it's called) / shell prompt on the task bar so I can escape the GUI's clutches whenever the need arises.
I use "command+space bar" then type "ter" which brings terminal up in spotlight.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #61,693 of 149,134
WordPerfect was the first computer program I learned to do anything on. It had a great command: reveal codes. It showed you the codes "behind" text that formated the text. By deleting the formating text you could remove words, punctuation, BOLD lettering, etc., or insert codes to do that.
Every program should have something like that if relevant.
+1 for WordPerfect. They had a GUI version under unixv7 for a while. Moved to linux and OpenOffice (and now LibraOffice). It's comprehensive but a bit of a bear to work with. I've managed to avoid doing anything but the simplest of documents in Word. I really miss WordPerfect's 'Fit Page' function to get a block to fit on a page, automatically adjusting things like line, character & paragraph spacing, margins, and a few other things, to make a block of text fit on a page.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #61,695 of 149,134

Yup. Regularly type this so that my music files are visible to my streamer:

% chmod 755 [music files]

ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back