Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #61,351 of 150,042
yes, the power amps look like the transformers flying leads are hard wired to the PEM (power entry module), but the smaller HP and preamp products have PCB mounted transformers, and possibly configuration jumpers. helps to have a variac to bring the mains up slowly when first re-powering (just in case).

all this moot if warranty gets voided by changing the voltage setting.

I would be incredibly surprised if taking it apart and changing the internals didn't void the warranty. They also have a warning on the back stating "no user serviceable parts" which pretty much confirms it.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #61,352 of 150,042
yes, the power amps look like the transformers flying leads are hard wired to the PEM (power entry module), but the smaller HP and preamp products have PCB mounted transformers, and possibly configuration jumpers. helps to have a variac to bring the mains up slowly when first re-powering (just in case).

all this moot if warranty gets voided by changing the voltage setting.
“No user-serviceable parts inside...”

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #61,353 of 150,042
All this talk about Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 being a great combination made me rethink about my want for balanced connections, so I did a thing and now have a Lyr 3 incoming.

It will also be the ninth piece of Schiit I've had a pleasure to own.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #61,355 of 150,042
Hey Jason - on the occasion of the 10th Anniversary, I was rereading some of the early chapters - the part about starting at the affordable end and building up, instead of the statement product then "trickling down". And the part where you said you guys hand-soldered 1000 boards before hiring the board house.

This got me to thinking - in rough terms, can you compare the total number of pieces that Schiit has shipped in ten years (things with serial numbers, not wall warts or cables) with comparable numbers from Sumo or Theta? Not asking for trade secrets or anything like that. Even a relative comparison would be fun to know.

Thanks!
ed

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #61,356 of 150,042
I've only heard the Yggdrasil a few times at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest here in Denver. I don't remember exactly how it sounded to me but I did really like it.

So far the BF2 reminds me of that. I still might keep the Modius but the Modi Multibit needs to go to the next budding audiophile.
(For anyone on the fence about BF2) As a Yggdrasil owner I COMPLETELY endorse the quality of the DAC as a proper endgame. You will never need to go further than BF2 -- you will never need to think about upgrading ever again.
When the Yggy Unison arrived and I did my first comparisons with the BF2, it took me by surprise how toe-to-toe the BF2 went in terms of resolution (!), imaging, and spacing. The only super noticeable difference was how the Yggy placed/EQ'ed the instruments (giving that live music magic that's the bread and butter of the design). Resolution wise the Yggy felt only a hair clearer. Ultimately I couldn't uniformly say the Yggy is better or the BF2 is worse, they just feel different. This should be a huge victory for the folks who only have the budget for their endgame headphone/speaker and don't want to spend the same amount on a DAC. You'll get the same experience. Would I sell my Yggy and keep the Bifrost? Hell no, you can't go back after listening to the Yggy. BUT, If I had to would I be mad even mildly frustrated? Hell no to that too.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #61,357 of 150,042
To me the Bifrost 2 was a let down. They call it the Yggdrasil Jr but I just didnt get it.

its down to preference maybe.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #61,360 of 150,042
(For anyone on the fence about BF2) As a Yggdrasil owner I COMPLETELY endorse the quality of the DAC as a proper endgame. You will never need to go further than BF2 -- you will never need to think about upgrading ever again.
When the Yggy Unison arrived and I did my first comparisons with the BF2, it took me by surprise how toe-to-toe the BF2 went in terms of resolution (!), imaging, and spacing. The only super noticeable difference was how the Yggy placed/EQ'ed the instruments (giving that live music magic that's the bread and butter of the design). Resolution wise the Yggy felt only a hair clearer. Ultimately I couldn't uniformly say the Yggy is better or the BF2 is worse, they just feel different. This should be a huge victory for the folks who only have the budget for their endgame headphone/speaker and don't want to spend the same amount on a DAC. You'll get the same experience. Would I sell my Yggy and keep the Bifrost? Hell no, you can't go back after listening to the Yggy. BUT, If I had to would I be mad even mildly frustrated? Hell no to that too.

Thx for taking the time to post... Quite an endorsement :)

As one who is looking for the 'live' feel, would love to hear more about what you perceive the differences to be in that area?

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #61,365 of 150,042
Do you like it better with Lyr3 or with Jotunheim? How would you describe the difference between the two amps?
In general, the Lyr 3 is more musical and addictive to listen with. The Jot is more energetic and aggressive.

If I had to pick one as the better match so far, I would probably say Lyr 3. Although the BF2 did play very well last night with Jot also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back