Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #60,466 of 153,124
Found them.

Will there be a Ragnarok 2+ with glowy tubes to switch in and out?

"Tesla Model Y+ with Schiit Audio".

try Freya+ / Vidar or Aegir / Bifrost 2 or Modius instead. Freya+ offers tubes, lotsa dem, all glowy or not glowy.

(added) besides, the Transport, Jotunheim refresh (aka Mjolnir mini), and the Gadget (module + pre-amp combo or stand-alone) are higher priorities :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #60,467 of 153,124
Post pix of the team ...the starting garage with the vette...and maybe a shot of Mike in a bathing suit !!!

One of those is not like the others..

Congrats to Jason, Mike and the rest of the team at Schiit! I jumped in when Vali 1 was fresh off the pile (that would probably make the measurement-oriented folks actually barf) along with OG Modi, and have been a happy customer ever since. Also happy to report that I’ll be a part of your young democraphic for five years still. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #60,468 of 153,124
Congrats to Jason, Mike, and the whole Schiit crew for 10 years of making music fun, and making my music sound better!

Looking forward to the next 10, some schwag, and a Transport.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #60,470 of 153,124
Blame those on Rina. You should see the masks she makes. She has waaaaaaayyyyyy toooooooo much vintage fabric.
Better to make masks than she makes you some work appareil to wear at hifi shows, yes?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #60,471 of 153,124
2020, Chapter 10
120 Months of “Flavor of the Month”

And here we are, 10 years in, 120 months of “flavor of the month.”

A Sincere Thank You

So what does this all mean? This means we owe all of you a huge thank-you! For our earliest customers, thanks for taking the chance. For everyone who has waited through a backorder, please accept our deepest apologies—even today it’s hard to keep up. For everyone who has made the choice to buy a Schiit product, thank you!

No lie, it’s a balancing act. Not a day goes by without some neat idea crossing my desk. People want a Modius with a built-in headphone amp for all-in-one functionality. That would be cool, but would it be right? Wouldn’t it be better to do a matching headphone amp? Others want a full-fledged recording interface in the same form factor. Again, neat, but is that us? Better phone preamps, bigger equalizers, NOS DACs, bigger tube amps, heck, speakers and headphones…we get asked about a lot of stuff. And a lot of it is interesting. Maybe not interesting enough to produce, but maybe enough to play with. So we do a prototype. And see if we get excited about it.

The Reality of Today

“Well, hell, why are you bringing out new products like Modius if you can’t keep stuff in stock?” someone cries.

And, without an in-depth knowledge of our processes, that’s a logical question.

But here’s the deal: Modius has been in motion since February of last year, when I started complaining to Mike and Dave that we needed an inexpensive balanced DAC to pair with our larger products. The first prototypes were last summer. The chassis was costed and ordered at that time. Kits were scheduled, chassis deliveries were scheduled, we had staff ready to make them…so, you know what? We’re gonna damn well make them!

Not only that, we have some more products in the same situation—designed, planned, ordered, ready to rock—that will also be happening shortly. Probably also while we have backorders of other products that you’d reeeeeealllly realllllllllly like to have. Sorry about that. It’s not lack of focus. It’s simply that things have become less certain, because one critical part missing from a kit means everything stops…and if that part goes from 5 weeks to 20 weeks, that can be a looooong wait.

“So what does that mean?” you ask. “No transport?”

Well, we’ll see on the transport. That continues apace. Metal has been ordered. Metal’s also been ordered for one other, er, ambitious new product. If we’re lucky, you’ll see both of those this year. And there are several smaller things that are so far down the pipe that we’ll be launching those as well.

But no guarantees—I’m calling this the Bigfoot or Zombies clause, officially.

And, here’s the deal: the slowdown has been nice. I’ve been able to focus on some stuff you might consider monumentally boring, but is actually very important as we grow. Stuff like process control. (One of our boardhouses sometimes cooks parts, one like to do random solder-ball bukkake—these are relatively small percentages of boards, but now now we're actively focusing on helping them improve.) We’re determining where assemblers should do programming and testing for maximum throughput, and where that’s best kept in-house. We’re deploying more automated test. We’re working on ways to simplify packing and shipping (holy hell that takes a long time). We’re improving back-end systems to make things like partial order shipping feasible (necessary for Schiit Schwag, since I mandated that it not impact current shipping).

In other words, we’re doing a lot of grown-up stuff that grown-up companies do. It may seem a bit mundane, but it’s actually helping streamline things tremendously…and it’s improving our products.

What We’ve Accomplished…and Where We’re Going

1. Making stuff more affordable. See below. But it’s more than that. I can’t count the times I’ve been told that we’re selling stuff below what we should (or could). Well, yeah, suck my balls, as the man-birds of New York say. We’re doing just fine by making stuff with the same sane margin across the board, regardless of the product. We’re doing fine without bleating about “R&D costs” and “intellectual property.” Yeah, it took 2 person-years for Unison USB. Who cares? Take the cost, apply the multiplier, sell. Done. Want more? We’ve resisted the siren call to go up and up to the car-priced realm. We’ve said that Yggdrasil is our top DAC…and we mean it. So add “not succumbing to price inflation” to the above.
  2. Helping to mainstream direct sales. I mean, seriously, when we started, selling direct was pretty bizarre. A single semi-well-known example existed in electronics: Emotiva. Yeah, there was Outlaw, too, and maybe a couple of others, but they weren’t exactly top of mind. And I’m being polite. Choosing to sell direct was weeeeeeeiiiird in 2010. I thought long and hard about it before deciding that delivering lower-cost products with a closer relationship to the customer made more sense. I’m thrilled I did, and I’m thrilled that direct is really gaining steam. It’s no longer fringe. It’s mainstream.
  3. Bringing manufacturing back to the USA. It was super super SUPER SUUUUUPER weird to choose to make things here in 2010. Everyone knew China was “the world’s factory floor” and no sane person would dare to make stuff in a first-world country, at first-world labor prices (and nobody would start employees at almost 3X the national minimum wage in a first-world country, like we do). But we did. And in the face of tariffs and supply chain disruption, this is now seeming a lot more presicent than we ever expected.
  4. Turning the demographic tide. Largely because of #1 above (which is a helped by #2), we’ve attracted a different demographic. More than 60% of our customers are younger than 36 years old, which is an insane, insane number in high end audio. No “Buick Disease” here. Why? No magic. Mainly because we concentrate on affordable products.
  5. Changing the tone. When we started, high-end audio was soooooooooooo serious it was painful. We came in with a silly name and seasoned it with a devil-may-care attitude, implying (gasp) that we might actually be having fun! OMG! How could that be? What’s wrong with that company? Hey wait, the products look really good…and sound good…and there you go. Which shouldn’t really be a crazy idea. Music is supposed to be fun!

Surely some amazing things.

Surely.

Firstly, let me start by saying Happy Birthday Schiit! Congratulations for making it to a decade in business. Secondly, let me reciprocate by saying, thank you Schiit for making high-end audio products affordable and fun. All the Schiit I have purchased thus far has been fantastic. Lastly, I Wish Schiit continued prosperity in the years ahead.

P.S. I will refrain from submitting my wishlist at this time. It is likely what I wish for is already in the pipeline, so I will be patient for now.:wink:

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #60,472 of 153,124
in the pic of the current day facilities, behind Mike who is seated, there are some green PCB's in a tray that are about the size of Asgard / Jotunheim. aren't all the production boards in red soldermask? maybe its nothing...

(added)
thought it may be have a really old pic, but there is a black yggy on the shelf, so its more recent.

Looked at closely they appear to be Jotunheim boards. I can't remember exactly when they started offering more standard products in black and do not know if they used the matte silver controls on earlier reworked cases that were black. Another possibility might be qualification boards, if they are getting their second board house to produce Jotunheim boards.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #60,474 of 153,124
Jason...

So do you still have that "vette"?

Here is my "66" Stingray Coupe!

c1.JPG

Unfortunately I dont have it anymore....but it got me my beautiful wife of 50+ years, many years ago...4:56 rear end, headers, 500+ hp and never lost a drag race...

:>)

My original "LYR"...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #60,475 of 153,124
All this car talk got me 'memering the 1968 factory stock, except hush thrush mufflers, Buick GS 400 in bright yellow and black. Astounded friends, especially a friend with a 1968 GTO convertible. There was one time when I made the S turns and he spun, no damage except the case of long neck bud in the trunk.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #60,476 of 153,124
Jason...

c1.JPG

Unfortunately I dont have it anymore....but it got me my beautiful wife of 50+ years, many years ago...4:56 rear end, headers, 500+ hp and never lost a drag race...

My original "LYR"...
Yep, here it is with Eddie's coupe...

IMG_0084.jpeg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #60,478 of 153,124
She looks in showroom shape and bone stock....love the "Jennie" Rally Wheels!!!

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #60,479 of 153,124
Jason...

c1.JPG

My original "LYR"...
Wow!
At the last Classic Car Show in London, we were all agreed that a Corvette Stingray was our favourite!
Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back