Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #59,926 of 151,560
I prefer the old days, before streaming, when the physical media and your playback hardware determined exactly what you got for your dollar. the streaming services are just another link in the chain that dinks with the sound (and likely not for the better)
I found it interesting just how compressed dynamically the mixes were to make it sound loud and catch our attention - seems ironic that dynamic range was being shrunk while the number of bits to capture dynamic range was being increased...

Personally I'd prefer greater variability in volume differences to capture more nuance and emotion and not just have my ears blasted - I can do that with volume control 😁 but at least partially explains why I think older recordings sound better

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #59,927 of 151,560
designed and built in USA. matches mid-size amps like Asgard, Jotunhiem, Lyr series. 4 year warranty if you use a credit card that doubles the mfr's warranty (2+2).
You are right. I might buy a Schitt stack and save $ vs the Topping stack and put those dollars toward better headphones. ZMF Auteur???

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #59,928 of 151,560
You are right. I might buy a Schitt stack and save $ vs the Topping stack and put those dollars toward better headphones. ZMF Auteur???
And perhaps I can plug the Modius into my Audeze Mobius and make a Schitty Audeze Mobdius.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #59,929 of 151,560
Can anyone tell which is their DACs "measure" the best from SE output?

Then again "measurbating" is usually quite a futile endeavor.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #59,930 of 151,560
designed and built in USA. matches mid-size amps like Asgard, Jotunhiem, Lyr series. 4 year warranty if you use a credit card that doubles the mfr's warranty (2+2).
Isn’t Topping made by Shenzhen in China?

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #59,932 of 151,560
@bcowen you missed the new product intro this morning. too much beer and weed? :)

LOL! I didn't see any tubes sticking out of it, so moved on to the next post. :)

J/K...I'm a bit behind in my reading due to munchies and a hangover.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #59,933 of 151,560
I was making some instant noodles recently that had the following instructions:
Boil 600 ml of water
Add noodles and cook for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
Pour out water until only 7 tablespoons remain.
Add sauce pack and return to low heat for 30 seconds.
They have instructions? Who knew?

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #59,934 of 151,560
I'm debating between the Modius and the Bifrost 2 for my next DAC.

I currently have the Modi Multibit as my only DAC for now.

Amp wise I have the Vali 2, Jot, and Lyr 3. I'm tired of always having to switch the RCA cables between amps and I want something that will handle both balanced and SE of course. Modius looks like a great value, although it is D/S which may still sound really good. Bifrost 2 is $700 as opposed to only $200, but then you get the multibit DAC, upgradability, really more of everything. I'm pretty sure I will get one or the other now that the Modius is out. And 200 bucks is definitely an easier decision than 700, but I do have both the Jot and Lyr 3.

Can anyone steer me one way or the other? LOL I just noticed that the Bifrost is on backorder so I guess that's another factor.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #59,936 of 151,560
But then again, since I have the Modi Multibit already, I hope I wouldn't be disappointed with the Modius sound quality. With the Bifrost I highly doubt I would be disappointed one bit, based on the reviews and comments I've read.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #59,937 of 151,560
But then again, since I have the Modi Multibit already, I hope I wouldn't be disappointed with the Modius sound quality. With the Bifrost I highly doubt I would be disappointed one bit, based on the reviews and comments I've read.

If you're looking for a direct upgrade to the Modi Multibit, the Bifrost 2 is the way to go honestly. It is a lot more expensive but I've been very happy with the DAC, doesn't feel like it's missing anything like every other DAC I've owned.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #59,938 of 151,560

I'll pass on giving my recommendation. Since I own 2x BF2s it could not really be considered an impartial recommendation. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #59,939 of 151,560
If you're looking for a direct upgrade to the Modi Multibit, the Bifrost 2 is the way to go honestly. It is a lot more expensive but I've been very happy with the DAC, doesn't feel like it's missing anything like every other DAC I've owned.

@MtnMan307 you might consider trying out the Modius (since the Bifrost 2 is out of stock) for the 15 day tryout period, and can return/upgrade for Bifrost 2 should you prefer Multibit over D/S. Or use Modius for a second station since you already have extra HP amps and HP's.

what DAC's have you owned (and liked or disliked) ? that info may help others with recommendations.

disclaimer: I own Bifrost Multibit (OG, 1st gen) but I had a D/S DAC based CD player that I also liked (before the piece-of-junk broke down)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #59,940 of 151,560
LOL! I didn't see any tubes sticking out of it, so moved on to the next post. :)

J/K...I'm a bit behind in my reading due to munchies and a hangover.
Ah, I see now, a n00b…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back