Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #58,546 of 150,616
Sounds like you are doing it the right way... At least you have an ocean between you as a buffer. Yes this can be good and bad.. I have a 5 yo and a 16 month old, my parents live about 4 blocks away..Social distancing is H A R D, physically and emotionally.

Cooking and music has been a relief for me as well. Thankful im currently employed, and have a large yard and fixer upper that I'm 2 years behind schedule on (as my dad puts it) wait till he finds out we are expecting a third bundle of joy amid this madness.... I'll be 4 years behind schedule by summers end.

Stay safe folks..Tunes in excess and the minimum amount of booze to make it through (yes this varies daily).

We understand being close to folks, my sister has both of her kids about an hour down the road. Three grands, one only 8 weeks old and her daughter has PPD issues.
Mighty tough on them.

Congratulations. Do not let your dad fool you, he is at least (your age) behind schedule.

Storms came through late last night and shut down my planned headphone time :frowning2:

Beautiful day in the neighborhood this morning, coffee is tasting good, the yard is calling and we plan another Sunday drive about.

Stay safe/strong, take care of mother/baby.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #58,547 of 150,616
I feel ripped off! Okay, the presenter was pleasant, low key. At the beginning he states that, after years of debunking cables, what in the heck is he doing reviewing a cable. So, he talks about about a new system he has for review, and a bunch of new Kimber 8TC cables for the new system. He praises the termination and measurements of the cable. And some other stuff.
Then, as he is wrapping up I thought, he can't be done. HE HASN'T INSTALLED THE CABLES, LISTENED TO THE SYSTEM WITH THE CABLES INSTALLED, AND REPORTED ON WHAT HE HEARD OR DID NOT HEAR.
..talk about voodoo. :angry:

[The above post is intended as comic relief]
One could also note that the "measurements" were simple electrical measurements of resistance, inductance, capacitance and impedance, that were thoroughly discussed in the original video.

The point made in the original video, as I understood it, was that within the normal range of cable lengths and frequencies of home audio, the various measurements of the electrical characteristics, have no significant effect on audio signals. Or nobody has devised tests that can predict or quantify how one cable will sound different than another. But nevertheless, he hears differences and there are cables he prefers.

In this video, we do know he can "rest well at night knowing I have a cable that measures better than my benchmark" and "it look awesome" and "I know this is audio jewelry". He's thrilled by the low impedance and dismisses the high capacitance.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #58,548 of 150,616
Question - has anyone anywhere demonstrated a verifiable and repeatable correlation between cable measurements and sound quality? I'm not trying to be snide (this time) - I'd love to be able to use a simple formula to find the optimum cable for my components/speakers, so I could obsess over other things.

Oh, and, Paladin79, that's a(nother) great looking amp. Hope you take the proper precautions when cutting/finishing spalted maple. Breathing in those spores is never a good idea, and we want you around as long as possible.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #58,549 of 150,616
Kimber Kable is what got me into this hobby. I tried their PBJ interconnect replacing some cheap freebie cables and the difference was not subtle. I tried 4PR, 4VS, 4TC speaker cables and the VS cables are the best value and have ideal levels of inductance and capacitance. I’ve compared them to plain zip cord as well as cheap Audioquest and the Kimber just sounds more open and detailed. The Audioquest sounded like someone threw a blanket over my speakers. The zip cord seemed to also mask detail vs the Kimber particularly at lower volumes.

Granted these differences are small and it’s debatable if they’re worth the extra expense. I don’t miss the money I spent on them.

It‘s good to hear people are enjoying the Freya S. That will be my next major purchase once I can get employed again. I have a nice tube preamp but it’s just a little too noisy for my 97dB efficient speakers.
After that I want to try out the Aegir which seems perfect for my rig.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #58,550 of 150,616
Thanks for the reply. I just tested this in my main system with my Modi Multibit and, you're right, it works fine. For my downstairs system I'm not terribly worried about SQ since it's more for casual listening including listening on my patio speakers. For this reason, re-sampling doesn't bother me.

So now my dilemma is do I just get a standard $99 modi for the downstairs, or should I get a Bifrost 2 for the main system and move the Modi-Multibit to the downstairs system? Hmmm....

good problem to have...

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #58,551 of 150,616
I really can't recommend a Raspberry Pi 4 in a Flirc case running RoPieee for a Roon endpoint enough.
I'm going to look into that. I like the idea of a one-box solution.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #58,555 of 150,616
I feel ripped off! Okay, the presenter was pleasant, low key. At the beginning he states that, after years of debunking cables, what in the heck is he doing reviewing a cable. So, he talks about about a new system he has for review, and a bunch of new Kimber 8TC cables for the new system. He praises the termination and measurements of the cable. And some other stuff.
Then, as he is wrapping up I thought, he can't be done. HE HASN'T INSTALLED THE CABLES, LISTENED TO THE SYSTEM WITH THE CABLES INSTALLED, AND REPORTED ON WHAT HE HEARD OR DID NOT HEAR.
..talk about voodoo. :angry:

[The above post is intended as comic relief]

The "measurements" he provided are in such microscopic levels that I doubt there is any way a human can hear the difference in picofarads or micro ohms and the differences between one cable and the next are in decimal percentages of those already microscopic measurements. Lastly, because I don't want to turn this into a "Sound Science" type of thread, Kimber sent him the cables so the chances of him giving them anything but a glowing review is basically nil.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #58,558 of 150,616
Question - has anyone anywhere demonstrated a verifiable and repeatable correlation between cable measurements and sound quality? I'm not trying to be snide (this time) - I'd love to be able to use a simple formula to find the optimum cable for my components/speakers, so I could obsess over other things.

Oh, and, Paladin79, that's a(nother) great looking amp. Hope you take the proper precautions when cutting/finishing spalted maple. Breathing in those spores is never a good idea, and we want you around as long as possible.
I could talk cables but I should not.
I have not done much with spalted maple yet even though I do own some. One day my personal amp will have it and I am using proper masks and filtration and being quite careful with wood types. Wenge is something I avoid for now, it can look very nice when finished but there are health risks there as well. I am learning woodworking and I am being very cautious with table saws and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back