Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #58,336 of 149,274
Hi everyone - just picked up some headphones for listening in the bedroom (Meze 99 Classics). These are my first toe in the waters for cans in about 20 years, so I may pick up some nicer ones down the road. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for bedside system, in all likelihood streaming from Tidal/Qobuz from my phone (yeah yeah). It needs to be smallish - single chassis would be ideal. No tubes for this application (I have a Freya in the basement for that.) Modi/Magni? Jotunheim?

The 99s are very efficient, and for my tastes pair well with the Modi MB and Jotunheim, or the Modi MB and Magni 3. I have also used them a lot with an Oppo HA2 portable Dac/Amp. They are a warmish sounding 'phone when compared to my HD6XX, so I think are better paired with solid state electronics. Of course YMMV

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #58,341 of 149,274
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #58,342 of 149,274
I find this very interesting: I had a USB hard drive hooked up to my Mac that was slowly going bad (throwing up write errors). When I finally swapped out the drive, the sound quality of my Schiit stack hooked up to the same Mac improved!

Were both drives solid state (SSD's), or was the failing one mechanical and the new one an SSD? Just wondering. My previous laptop that I used for streaming had a mechanical drive that I replaced with an SSD and things seemed to sound better after the SSD was installed. I just chalked it up to my imagination because it made no sense otherwise. :)

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #58,343 of 149,274
The 99s are very efficient, and for my tastes pair well with the Modi MB and Jotunheim, or the Modi MB and Magni 3. I have also used them a lot with an Oppo HA2 portable Dac/Amp. They are a warmish sounding 'phone when compared to my HD6XX, so I think are better paired with solid state electronics. Of course YMMV
Thanks for the input. Is there a reason to avoid a Jotunheim with multibit module vs separate Modi?

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #58,345 of 149,274
Were both drives solid state (SSD's), or was the failing one mechanical and the new one an SSD? Just wondering. My previous laptop that I used for streaming had a mechanical drive that I replaced with an SSD and things seemed to sound better after the SSD was installed. I just chalked it up to my imagination because it made no sense otherwise. :)

No, both the defective drive and the one I replaced it with are mechanical. I'm guessing the defective one was doing something bad electrical to the USB connection that affected my Modi Multibit also hooked up via USB.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #58,349 of 149,274
I find this very interesting: I had a USB hard drive hooked up to my Mac that was slowly going bad (throwing up write errors). When I finally swapped out the drive, the sound quality of my Schiit stack hooked up to the same Mac improved!

Does error correction make an impact on digital sound quality or is it just audio neuroses? Let your own ears decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back