Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #58,307 of 151,123
There's surely a reply to this line somewhere, but it's just not coming to mind right now....

Perhaps @Ripper2860 will chime in. He's pretty much an expert on lube from what I've heard. :)

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #58,309 of 151,123
IIRC, Jason posted somewhere that with the original lube after a week or so wow and flutter would determinate. They almost gave up due to this. A vendor suggested the Christo-Lube and it proved to be the ticket.

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #58,310 of 151,123
Hi everyone - just picked up some headphones for listening in the bedroom (Meze 99 Classics). These are my first toe in the waters for cans in about 20 years, so I may pick up some nicer ones down the road. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for bedside system, in all likelihood streaming from Tidal/Qobuz from my phone (yeah yeah). It needs to be smallish - single chassis would be ideal. No tubes for this application (I have a Freya in the basement for that.) Modi/Magni? Jotunheim?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #58,311 of 151,123
Hi everyone - just picked up some headphones for listening in the bedroom (Meze 99 Classics). These are my first toe in the waters for cans in about 20 years, so I may pick up some nicer ones down the road. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for bedside system, in all likelihood streaming from Tidal/Qobuz from my phone (yeah yeah). It needs to be smallish - single chassis would be ideal. No tubes for this application (I have a Freya in the basement for that.) Modi/Magni? Jotunheim?
I'm thinking of upgrading to an asgard with dac card myself from a vali 2, so my thoughts for your situation gravitate that way. I just think the new asgard is a helluva bargain, can be a one-box solution, no tubes, and would scale well when you decide to upgrade the 'phones as it could drive anything in the iem/planar/dynamic world. if it was available at the time, I would have just spent the extra $50 and bought the asgard instead of the vali. The dac card vs the modi I have would have been a wash.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #58,312 of 151,123
Jason.

I was a very early customer of the Sol and was pleased to be in your beta group. From the outset I was very intrigued by the Sol's unique approach.

Today, I received the final care package and was curious about the christo-lube included. Thanks for explaining this.

I was wondering if you tried a similar product called SuperLube? It is a PTFE product. I believe a turntable company in New Jersey uses it?

I have been using it as my default turntable lube for several years.

I wonder if SuperLube is comparable to Christo-Lube?

Personally I don't have much experience with SuperLube, the Christo-Lube is stuff I found when I bought a Chris Reeves knife that used the MCG-103.

What makes the Christo-Lube such a great lubricant is the PFPE base (already an incredibly good, inert, long lasting oil) with PTFE thickener (again, incredibly inert, long lasting lubricating material).

PFPE bases make excellent grease because they wet surfaces very well and create a lubricating film that coats the area excellently, the PTFE thickener helps keep the grease where you want it (PFPE bases are very oily by themselves).

Personally I found the Christo-Lube to provide the smoothest lubrication out of any grease I've ever worked with. I've even played with some higher end Castrol Greases (same type of PTFE thickened PTFE material) that didn't provide nearly as smooth operation in mechanical joints.

As Jason mentioned PFPE oils and PTFE thickened PFPE greases are used extensively on the Mars Rover launching this year.

Let's hope COVID-19 doesn't affect launch (no news that it has yet) and my work will fly to Mars.

As an aside, I have a friend who has an Avid turntable that had developed a worrying squeal when running and he didn't feel like spending the money or effort getting a replacement bearing assembly installed. I offer to give it a little bit of cleaning and lubricated the spindle bearing with the same Christo-Lube and all the squeal and noise went away without replacing the entire bearing.

Oils are great for things that spin fast but for slow speed application like a turntable main spindle a nice grease is the way to go.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #58,313 of 151,123

edited:
for digital source via USB only, then single mid-size unit like Jotunheim (balanced or SE) or Asgard 3. both these can support AK4490 D/S or the multibit DAC module. Both units have enough current to drive planars, and enough voltage to drive high impedance (300 or 600 ohm) dynamic cans.

if using multiple digital sources, then Modi 3 or Modi Multibit DAC (both have USB + toslink + S/PDIF Coaxial RCA inputs).

The Magni 3+ or Magni Heresy HP amps stack nicely with the Modi DACs, but IMO the Asgard 2 / Jotunheim are better options for a HP amp.

I'm currently running Bifrost OG Multibit / Asgard 2 with AKG K702 (and some new planars any day now). ears happy, wallet not so much. :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #58,315 of 151,123
Some of us just want to dive head first down that slope, :radioactive:
Fortunately a sense of propriety is up to the task, er sumpt'n.. :thinking:
hahahahahahahhahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #58,316 of 151,123
I’ve spent the last week or so reading this thread and finally got caught up. Good Schiit!

Almost 60000 messages in a week, then. Impressive!

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #58,317 of 151,123
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #58,318 of 151,123
Perhaps @Ripper2860 will chime in. He's pretty much an expert on lube from what I've heard. :)

Capture.JPG

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #58,319 of 151,123
I know I have a weird and limited use-case, but I go back and forth on my Vali 2 with HE400i (Modi 2U as dac). Some tracks I perceive a clearer image and separation of instruments in low gain; some tracks have more presence and impact in high gain. With vinyl through my old yamaha receiver as preamp, I always prefer high gain. I'll wager by the numbers, with the sensitivity of my headphone, I should use low gain all the time, but I dont notice any channel imbalances or issues with my volume down around 9 o'clock, so whatevs.
Until recently, I was only using the high gain settings on my Vali, Magni, and Asgard 2 (Valhalla gets special treatment = only DT880). Now, I'm trying low gain and touching up the output with my Loki. Well, crap. That sounds good now too!

Now you're talking, Sam! Hope Jason is paying attention. :)

If Schiit were to slap some nonsense like this on their gadget, I'd be all over it. Damn. :ksc75smile:

In other non-news. Toronto's a bizarre funhouse during our Covid-19 healthcare emergency. I'm seeing clear Plexiglas barriers at all my grocery stores. With cues to get in and out (it reminds me of travelling through parts of Gary, Indiana [different reasons... eek] :triportsad::triportsad:). Stay healthy out there.

Aaaand I finally figured out how to get all those tweaks and metadata from my ChromeOS. Install Linux as a... what(?)... a side platform. ! It's reasonably stable. And VLC for Linux is far more customisation than its AndroidOS counterpart. I might even try out Clementine (as a more feature-rich version of Foobar2000 for Android). If my fellow neophytes are wanting a more tweakable set of media players on their Chromebooks (that can digitally feed their Schiit kit), consider reviewing this 2018 HTG article. My gut's telling me this is a low risk side-grade.
https://www.howtogeek.com/363331/how-to-set-up-and-use-linux-apps-on-chrome-os/

{{{highly caffeinated edit = my discovery of new audio apps is cooling my desire to run out and buy a dedicated streamer}}}

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #58,320 of 151,123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back