Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,821 of 152,528

My job interview with Jason was on a Sunday morning at the Egg Plantation in Newhall in February 2012.  Jason brought Rena and I brought my wife and son.  We chatted a bit but the place was hopping and it was hard to hear.  After the meal we drove over to the SchiitHole.  I'll call it the proto-SchiitHole at that point.  Rena had already attacked the place with a shop vac and a broom.  There were six of the hundred dollar garage racks you can buy at Lowe's.  Jason is really good at laying things out- it may take off, it may go nowhere, no guarantee on hours.  Jason offered and I accepted.  We drove over to his place afterwards and my son and I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning, bagging, and packing Valhallas.  Rena was there watching me and doing sound checks- listening to the same 90 seconds of music over and over again.  That was my first day.

The following week I moved everything from the house over to the SchiitHole.  Rena worked with me for a little over a month.  Rena and my wife went off to a convention in March and that ended her day-to-day with Schiit as her own business had taken off.  Jesse was there about half the time.  There were other people who worked there but I never saw them.  Eddie and Tony only worked at night and I packed orders during the day.  I didn't meet them until a couple of weeks later.

Today, we have a 8000 square foot space that is bulging at the seams.  Jason and Mike do all the hard brainy work with help from Dave.  Tony is still the tech guru.  Amy handles order processing and shipping, Laura handles customer service and our distributors, and Maurice packs boxes and puts up with my crap.  Bill, Chris, and Olivia do all the sound checks, build Fullas, and handle upgrades.  Eddie and Miles build units at night (their choice).   Jesse is in charge of quality, handles basic repairs, and builds Ragnaroks.  Nick handles all of the tech support bumps and bruises.  12 people have good paying work because of Jason and Mike.

It goes much further than that.  The guys who assemble our boards work out of a big warehouse space in Simi Valley.  They have this giant room full of people and assembly tables.  We are currently their number one customer.  There are probably a good two dozen or more people at that location getting work because of Schiit.  We get pallets of metal delivered almost every day.  We have two places that do our metal, one in Chatsworth and the other is in Pomona.  Again, more people employed.  Then there is our transformer company in Willets, CA, the guys at the local FedEx depot, it goes on and on.  I like to tell people that one of the core philosophies for how we do things is that we want to contribute to our local community by keeping our friends and neighbors employed.

And I get to run the show.  Buying parts, coordinating schedules, negotiating with shipping companies, dealing with backorders, production problems, employee issues, running forklifts in to fire sprinklers, etc is not sexy.  If I didn't do it, all of the other stuff wouldn't happen.  Even with all the frustrations it is very fulfilling. 

Well written, Alex.  From one ops guy to another...
I have a ChE degree but have never designed a reactor.
I decided early on to be on the front lines - to make things work as smoothly as possible.
To make the other associates' lives easier, if possible.
That's why I've been in ops my entire career.
Not a glamor post, but thoroughly satisfying in the end.

Now, back to work on those back-ordered Rags...

Best -
RCB

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #5,822 of 152,528
  Other than for teachers, tenure does not exist, so they don't have it all that bad. Now, lets get back to headphones and related Schiit.

Just one final (?) comment on this interesting discussion about teaching...

As I've gotten older, I find the most rewarding part of my job is teaching others what I've learned, so they can hopefully avoid the mistakes I've made.

As I've joined Head-Fi, I find the most rewarding aspect of the hobby (other than the super sound, and drooling over the HE-1000) is to enlighten others about the gear I own or have tested, and to hopefully enlighten others about how the experience has changed my life.

Interesting how these go together.  :)

Enjoy the music,
RCB

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #5,823 of 152,528
Just one final (?) comment on this interesting discussion about teaching...

As I've gotten older, I find the most rewarding part of my job is teaching others what I've learned, so they can hopefully avoid the mistakes I've made.

As I've joined Head-Fi, I find the most rewarding aspect of the hobby (other than the super sound, and drooling over the HE-1000) is to enlighten others about the gear I own or have tested, and to hopefully enlighten others about how the experience has changed my life.

Interesting how these go together.  :)

Enjoy the music,
RCB

IMO, what you are describing is mentoring, not teaching per se. :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #5,824 of 152,528

Well written, Alex.  From one ops guy to another...
I have a ChE degree but have never designed a reactor.
I decided early on to be on the front lines - to make things work as smoothly as possible.
To make the other associates' lives easier, if possible.
That's why I've been in ops my entire career.
Not a glamor post, but thoroughly satisfying in the end.

Now, back to work on those back-ordered Rags...

Best -
RCB

I love the EGG PLANTATION!!!!

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #5,825 of 152,528
IMO, what you are describing is mentoring, not teaching per se.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't disagree, but I've got ~600 graduates from my introductory training while only about 20 who I would considered mentored on an on-going basis.  Big difference.  IMO, teaching would be a really fun, challenging and rewarding job as a full-time focus.

Enjoy the music,
RCBinTN

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #5,826 of 152,528
Teaching is a fabulous profession.  Academia is not.  I was a university professor for six years and I loved every minute in the classroom or the labs, but hated every minute of the back-biting political BS that came along with being part of a faculty.  Plus I missed making REAL money.   :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #5,827 of 152,528
Teaching is a fabulous profession.  Academia is not.  I was a university professor for six years and I loved every minute in the classroom or the labs, but hated every minute of the back-biting political BS that came along with being part of a faculty.  Plus I missed making REAL money.   :)

+1 Well said sir.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,828 of 152,528
Been there, done that for 23 years including being a dept. head which given academic culture is a real pain. Like herding cats with a bad attitude.  I was going to say that academics are a pile of Schiit but then I decided that was an insult to the real Schiit.  Then I thought about it for a while longer.  There were some very intelligent, talented people at the university. Some of them were unbelievably good teachers who really cared about their students.  Some were not and others didn't care to try.  Research was the same way.  There were some very good researchers who really did know how to do things regardless of those who think those who can't teach.  I just don't think that's true.  There were others who were smart and knowledgeable but couldn't get squat accomplished.  At the end of the day  I found faculty were like humans everywhere else--a mixed bag.  Ableza nailed it, the part that makes it bad is the back-biting, politics, and egos.  We used to joke that the reason faculty take academic politics so seriously is that it means so little. 

I wonder if the office has less politics, back-biting or egos.  I would guess not which means the only thing different about the university is the pay is lower.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #5,829 of 152,528
reddog & Eee Pee:   I got Time Out today...holy cow is it amazing!...hadnt heard it for years.  Thanks for the click-to-pick reddog!

lblb:   thanks for the reply!  i will seek out a way to get my own hard copy.   Also i forgot to compliment your photos!  It appears that in addition to typesetting,  you have great photography skills!!  i love the image of the book, schiit gear, and hd600s...maybe i really like it because i use the same setup! 

bearFNF:  thanks for the welcome to the club!!   I promise to never stray far from the "Schitty path".   There's a line from a poem about "taking the road less traveled",  well i believe that road is filled with Schiit gear,  "..and that has made all the difference"!!!!

Peace .n. "Lifes the same, im moving in stereo" - the cars.

3ToF.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,830 of 152,528

I could only stand teaching at a local university for a year. The students were great to work (still relatively pliable without bias to new subjects, ie: no experience) with but could also see how artificial the pursuit and environment was. Anyone who stays in the profession over 7 years tends to have an over inflated ego and more than a bit out of touch with reality.  Glad you made it out intact. :)

I'm a hands on kind of guy anyway. More to my liking...... 

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,831 of 152,528
I wonder if the office has less politics, back-biting or egos.  I would guess not which means the only thing different about the university is the pay is lower.

I went from San Jose State University back to Silicon Valley and yes, there is politics and back-biting in "the office," but the big difference is in corporate America people have to always be aware that things can only go so far because they can be fired.  In academia, burdened as it is with the archaic institution known as tenure, no such limitation exists for far too many people, allowing them to remain insulated from "the real world" and to live in Ivory Towers of their own design.  I walked away from a tenure-track position because I hated seeing what too many of my colleagues had become and I did not want to be one of them.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,833 of 152,528
I went from San Jose State University back to Silicon Valley and yes, there is politics and back-biting in "the office," but the big difference is in corporate America people have to always be aware that things can only go so far because they can be fired.  In academia, burdened as it is with the archaic institution known as tenure, no such limitation exists for far too many people, allowing them to remain insulated from "the real world" and to live in Ivory Towers of their own design.  I walked away from a trenure-track position because I hated seeing what too many of my colleagues had become and I did not want to be one of them.

+1 I agree with you 100 %, I taught at Highlands University, in New Mexico and some of the stuff, I saw the tenured royalty, of the ivory towers, do, just sickened me. So I took off, could not stand the stink of petty hypocrisy. The only good thing was teaching the students, helping them understand a particular lessons or problem, was most satisfying.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,835 of 152,528
:beerchug:

Small fan. :D

Sweet Dave Bruebeck is just fantastic. I have been rediscovering jazz classics. Last night I listened to some Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus, forgot how good those gents were, especially their early years. I need to find a good mastering of George Gershwin's stuff. My Alpha Prime's, with my Lyr2, powered through my Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, have really helped me get into jazz again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back