Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #57,511 of 151,485
@tincanear could you expand on this for me? I'm very new to this concept and would really appreciate your experience. I've always only had simple setups such as my current one and am trying now to learn more about this hobby now that I've retired. I don't want to waste the life of the tubes and the heat from the Rogue amp and this is why I wanted to run 2 systems into one set of speakers. Is this possible?

never connect two amplifiers directly to one set of speakers- damage can occur.

at one time, a company by the name of Niles made speaker switchboxes (but they must be carefully implemented to avoid degradation of the signal and prevent ground loops, etc).

Note that some amplifiers (e.g. vidar and Aegir in monoblock mode) can be damaged by connecting the negative leads of the speaker outputs (common ground configuration) together. because of the potential for damage to equipment if not 100% compatible, plus degradation of the signal, its best to have only one system for a given set of speakers.

consider a single Vidar amp (or two Aegirs in monoblock mode) driven from a Freya+ (use tube mode for cooler weather / serious listening, and the solid-state buffer mode for warmer weather or casual listening). I believe that Freya+ shuts down the tubes when running in the other (passive or solid-state buffer) modes.

the bass management crossover will send bass frequencies below the crossover point (say from 16 to 80Hz) to the REL subs, and the frequencies above the crossover (80Hz - 20 kHz) to the amplifiers driving the LS50's. Presently, Schiit does not offer a device with this functionality.

if your serious listening is done using vinyl exclusively, then no need to spend more on a new DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #57,512 of 151,485
@tincanear @Varejao17 Thank you both very much. So if I understand correctly, it will not be possible or advisable to have 2 amps connected to the speakers at the same time even if only 1 amp is activated at a time. I had hoped there might be some safe method/device to which I could connect the speakers and subs and then switch between amps by the use of this "switch box". May I ask what active crossover might be advisable as I've not used one before?

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #57,513 of 151,485
If you are willing to run the main speakers full range, and feed the REL via the high level inputs, a device like this ought to work:
https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Speakers-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0796KGVXT

[NOTE: I am not recommending this device or Amazon, but using this as an illustration of the kind of device you need.]

If you want to run a crossover with highs going to the mains and lows going to the sub, then that complicates matters greatly and may require you use an external crossover that works with speaker-level signals (i.e. a passive crossover). I would defer in this case to someone who has actually set up something like this.

ed

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #57,515 of 151,485
If you are willing to run the main speakers full range, and feed the REL via the high level inputs, a device like this ought to work:
https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Speakers-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0796KGVXT

[NOTE: I am not recommending this device or Amazon, but using this as an illustration of the kind of device you need.]

If you want to run a crossover with highs going to the mains and lows going to the sub, then that complicates matters greatly and may require you use an external crossover that works with speaker-level signals (i.e. a passive crossover). I would defer in this case to someone who has actually set up something like this.

ed
Thank you so much for taking the time to source this info for me. I will check with KEF & REL for their advice. I did not realise it is dangerous to connect 2 amps to the same speakers.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #57,516 of 151,485
Just buy a Ragnarok 2 (just the amp), and a Bifrost 2 for daily listening. Rag 2 is said to run much cooler then the first Ragnarok. If you want to run the other amp on occasion just have banana plugs on your cables, and swap the other amp in as needed.
So just have an alternative solid state amp & Bifrost 2. Would the Ragnarok have sufficient power for the KEF LS50? They are pretty inefficient at 85dB at 8ohms.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #57,517 of 151,485
Because he is a medical doctor himself and based on his medical knowledge, he disagrees with Mayo Clinic and what they say -- in particular about tinnitus.

Based on that same general base of medical knowledge he knows to trust the W.H.O. on the corona virus issue.
Indeed.
The WHO does give good info and advise on Covid-19.
If the Mayo's state that tinnitus is ear related (which it isn't in more than 94%) and sell therapie on that premisse, they should be banned and de-licensed.
On the other hand.. I think it was the person "quoting" the mayo's that was over-amping for arguments sake. The way fake news is invented so to speak.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #57,518 of 151,485
Thank you so much for taking the time to source this info for me. I will check with KEF & REL for their advice. I did not realise it is dangerous to connect 2 amps to the same speakers.

I run a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica I's (bookshelf on stands) with REL's T5i's. The REL has a neat way of using a "Speakon" high level input signal taken directly from the same taps as drive the Faber's on my tube amp. That signal is processed thru the REL's internal 125 watt class A/B amplifier in each sub. Each sub has adjustable crossover and volume control. It's a nicely balance pairing for small spaces.

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #57,519 of 151,485
I run a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica I's (bookshelf on stands) with REL's T5i's. The REL has a neat way of using a "Speakon" high level input signal taken directly from the same taps as drive the Faber's on my tube amp. That signal is processed thru the REL's internal 125 watt class A/B amplifier in each sub. Each sub has adjustable crossover and volume control. It's a nicely balance pairing for small spaces.
He already owns a pair of REL T9i and running them through the high level inputs.

The suggestion to get better performance out of the amp and LS50's by driving them with a hi-pass filtered signal is a valid concept, but it requires separate pre-amp and power amps. @digitaldufferme wants to continue using his Rogue integrated amp and this approach will not work out.

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #57,520 of 151,485
So just have an alternative solid state amp & Bifrost 2. Would the Ragnarok have sufficient power for the KEF LS50? They are pretty inefficient at 85dB at 8ohms.

I would email Schiit directly and ask them...they have some LS50 in their listening room, so should know the answer. One of the things I like about Schiit is that they don't try to sell you something if it might not work.

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #57,521 of 151,485
Ragnarok 2 and LS50s is a great combo--that's what I use.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #57,523 of 151,485
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #57,524 of 151,485
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #57,525 of 151,485
@tincanear @Varejao17 Thank you both very much. So if I understand correctly, it will not be possible or advisable to have 2 amps connected to the speakers at the same time even if only 1 amp is activated at a time. I had hoped there might be some safe method/device to which I could connect the speakers and subs and then switch between amps by the use of this "switch box". May I ask what active crossover might be advisable as I've not used one before?
The safe method for doing that is called an amplifier selector switch. There are many options available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back