Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,687 of 151,950
One thing I kinda hate about a company like schiit, is that when you buy something like an asgard, and you see how good it is (for me, i started laughing like a mad man with tear in my eyes the first time I used it at home with my favorite stuff), you look at the more expensive gear and think to yourself "How good can that be?" and immediately after the next thought is "Should I start saving for that?" .

Lets look at this from my point of view: 
I had a Fiio E17 (dead now) with an asgard amp and loved it. Now I get to choose my next dac:
Modi, probably great value, but I can afford a bit more.
Bifrost/Bifrost Uber, starting point... this must be soooo good.
Gungnir, the very expensive upgraded awsome dac... Id like it, but yeah, so expensive.

And then they come up with the yddgrasil and you brain explodes. You want it, but you cant get it... like those girls in the disco that dance in the center of the dancing floor and have a "I dont even know you are there, but if I did, Id ignore you" facial expression :D.

And the worst part? It is actually better, so If you try it, you are doomed. You cant go back to your gear after that...

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,688 of 151,950
  One thing I kinda hate about a company like schiit, is that when you buy something like an asgard, and you see how good it is (for me, i started laughing like a mad man with tear in my eyes the first time I used it at home with my favorite stuff), you look at the more expensive gear and think to yourself "How good can that be?" and immediately after the next thought is "Should I start saving for that?" .

I had a Fiio E17 (dead now) with an asgard amp and loved it. Now I get to choose my next dac:
Gungnir, the very expensive upgraded awsome dac... Id like it, but yeah, so expensive.

And then they come up with the yddgrasil and you brain explodes. You want it, but you cant get it... like those girls in the disco that dance in the center of the dancing floor and have a "I dont even know you are there, but if I did, Id ignore you" facial expression :D.

And the worst part? It is actually better, so If you try it, you are doomed. You cant go back to your gear after that...

I started with an E17 on ATH-M50s. Not bad, but nothing special. Then I put the E17 away and went with a Modi/Vali on the AT's. Big improvement. But then I realized that the ATs were really weren't going to make me happy long term as a primary headphone. So those went to a secondary system and I bought AKG 702s and jumped to an Uber Bifrost and Lyr 2 shortly after. (Sold the Modi/Vali to a co-worker) The Lyr 2 wasn't as much of an improvement as I thought it would be, but the Bifrost really impressed me. I lived with that for about 6 mos. and then I got a pair of Koss electrostatics. They came with a mediocre Koss amp but were still very impressive and gave me the electrostatic bug. Sold the AKGs because they were just gathering dust. Now I have a Lyr 2 that gets used only when I want something different and pull out the ATs from the secondary system. But because I've been so impressed with the Bifrost I'm seriously considering a Yggy, which is insane because I've never spent that much on a single piece of gear before.

I know Schiit has said they probably would never do an electrostatic amp, but if they ever changed their minds I would probably be one of the first in line to get one.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,689 of 151,950

The "you can't go back" factor is strong with this hobby!

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #5,690 of 151,950

I thought I was the only one. I Started off with a Modi 1 and Wyrd which I used with my main 2 Channel setup. Sounded awesome. That got upgraded to Modi 2 Uber and Wyrd using a Valhalla as my preamp to monitors. And yes I have that evil grin and tear in my eye every time I fire it up.

Then I got a Vali and another wyrd to use with my Modi 1 as a desktop setup in the backroom. I decided I want speakers back there so I needed a Preamp output for those, Well what do you know Magni 2U has those and it got Ordered with a sys. Oh and so did another Modi 2 Uber (why you ask? its a great improvement over the original Modi and it matches the Magni 2U). So now My Schiit Stack Is 5 deep and A buddy is borrowing the Modi 1 (his Modi 2 Uber is on the way). As I am working late nights with bourbon or beer in hand the evil grin once again comes out with a small tear as I listen to the Vali with cans or with the Magni 2 U, it makes my near fields sparkle.

Now The Valhalla Needs A Bi frost Uber. Why You ask? Because as catspaw says you start thinking "how good can that be"

And I am convinced there is a small creature that may be related to the little VW guy demanding you drive faster from those GTI commercials.

He Looks like this
th

And he sits on my shoulder and all he says as of late is BIIIIIIIIIIIIIFROOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSST

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,691 of 151,950
To the good lads at Schiit,

The pix of the N.Carolina meet are out, not much ( or maybe any ) Schiit stuff.  

Hmm, are those Bible Belt folks a bit fussy about Company Names?, they did have Peachtree, which seems more appropriate for Georga.

Maybe your marketing people should sprinkle a few Angels in your Ads, a few packs of cigarettes on your CamJam tables and a Proper Gold Bible with a few scripture quotes on t-shirts - something like "Jesus loves a good Schiit" featuring  a Dr.Moffat bust with a Halo, even suggesting that Baldr is a "reborn" would go a long way in Plantation Country.  

These Southeastern Gents need you to help them become good born-again 21st. Century music lovers, their lovely church music will elevate their very souls thru a Valhalla 2 .

Wishing you well,

Tony in Michigan  -  fresh from Europe where white wires dangle from everyone's ears.  

ps.  maybe them poor N.C. folks ain't got the internet yet, or caint read!  They buy our Pick-ups aplenty

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #5,692 of 151,950
I started with a iBasso DX90. I'm the buddy that bigro mentions, as he started to get this Schiit together and let me listen, I was impressed and it was Schiit I could afford (until wife was fired, damn you scottrade). I was really hooked after listening to bigro's Vali, even with tubes that were resonating, it was awesome when it would quiet down. That was sent back, new one works great, got to borrow that for a day (quality control here). When I saved up enough for my first piece of Schiit, I went with the Magni 2 Uber and just used my DX90 as the source. Ro fried his Modi and Wyrd and sent them home for mama to fix and bought new goodies to replace, now that the repairs are done, he's been letting me use the "extra" Modi and Wyrd. Scrapped up enough to order Modi 2 Uber Sunday, it will be here tomorrow.

I'm hoping that eventually I can swing the Bifrost Uber after the wife starts working again. Yggy is just too far out of reach for a long time...sigh.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for a Vali 2 and/or Vali 2 Uber (mostly to match my other Uber Schiit, natch).

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #5,693 of 151,950
  I started with a iBasso DX90. I'm the buddy that bigro mentions, as he started to get this Schiit together and let me listen, I was impressed and it was Schiit I could afford (until wife was fired, damn you scottrade). I was really hooked after listening to bigro's Vali, even with tubes that were resonating, it was awesome when it would quiet down. That was sent back, new one works great, got to borrow that for a day (quality control here). When I saved up enough for my first piece of Schiit, I went with the Magni 2 Uber and just used my DX90 as the source. Ro fried his Modi and Wyrd and sent them home for mama to fix and bought new goodies to replace, now that the repairs are done, he's been letting me use the "extra" Modi and Wyrd. Scrapped up enough to order Modi 2 Uber Sunday, it will be here tomorrow.

I'm hoping that eventually I can swing the Bifrost Uber after the wife starts working again. Yggy is just too far out of reach for a long time...sigh.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for a Vali 2 and/or Vali 2 Uber (mostly to match my other Uber Schiit, natch).

Once you go frosty, you might not need another DAC. You just might be surprised at how good the Modi 2 Uber is.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5,694 of 151,950
  Once you go frosty, you might not need another DAC. You just might be surprised at how good the Modi 2 Uber is.

I agree completely, and thanks for the reassurance. I already love how good the Modi 1 is with Wyrd. I honestly think my end game will be a Bifrost Uber and Assguard and/or Valhalla. bigro has a Valhalla and he keeps telling me we are going to have a listening session but we never do. I think it's a conspiracy.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #5,695 of 151,950
  Why is talk of USB 3.0 persisting?  Can anyone explain?

Why not talk about USB 3.1 and type C connectors, USB 3.0 is so 2008.  Don't see what this has to do with Schiit tho.

Audiophiles love larger numbers and often even claim that they can hear the differences. Whilst they show a strong preference for sequences like 48, 96, 192, 384, etc, at a pinch, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 will do, although they may result in differences that are subtle, rather than night-and-day.

No schiit.

etysmile.gif

EDIT: out of eight numbers, I typed two wrong. 
signed: the innumerate audiophile.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #5,696 of 151,950

Audiophiles love larger numbers and often even claim that they can hear the differences. Whilst they show a strong preference for sequences like 48, 96, 192, 384, etc, at a pinch, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 will do, although they may result in differences that are subtle, rather than night-and-day.

No schiit.

etysmile.gif

EDIT: out of eight numbers, I typed two wrong. 
signed: the innumerate audiophile.

3.0 is obviously 50% better than 2.0!

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #5,697 of 151,950
Mar 25, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #5,700 of 151,950

Users who are viewing this thread

Back