Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #56,101 of 151,513
That was a good one! :deadhorse:

Just finished making mine an hour ago... 5x2,5 mm, solid copper (5xAWG 13 for the yanks) :wink: 50 m set me off $60 plus $30 for the connectors. Already sounds better (or not, still haven’t decided) :smiling_imp: ... Any improvement is probably due to line-level cable routing - less noise.

Edited for missing info.

Is that a typo or did you really mean 50 m (as in meters)? Are your speakers in the same house as your amp? :smile:

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #56,102 of 151,513
Time for a Public Service Announcement...

Recently, on another forum, someone posted some very nice interior shots of their house. It was easy to download the pic to my desktop and select "Show Information". The info tab had lat/long info which allowed me to see their general address along with a 'satellite view' which, if I lived in their neighborhood would allow me to discern their actual address. Mac makes it too easy by having a tab that says "Show In Maps."

So the PSA is: Please, before you upload pics to any internet site, scrub the picture of all location data. Instructions are easy to find via DuckDuckGo or Google. Please protect yourselves.

Here endeth the lecture.

whenever possible, I convert jpeg images to png. It removes my GPS coordinates. My floor’s also patrolled by 1-3 housepanthers. A cougar. And a mother-in-law down the hall. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #56,103 of 151,513
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #56,104 of 151,513
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #56,105 of 151,513
The first EPROM?

:slight_smile:
Bill, you should be plugging headphones into an amp right now, and privately telling me your reaction lol

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #56,106 of 151,513
Bill, you should be plugging headphones into an amp right now, and privately telling me your reaction lol

I'm still looking for the manual.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #56,107 of 151,513
I'm still looking for the manual.
Real men do not need manuals. Did you not say that recently?

Get your cat to help if need be. No Marilyn Manson though, stick to your usual Partridge Family or whatever your particular test music is.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #56,108 of 151,513
Looks like decision time is here.... I sold off a pair of emotiva amps that I never liked all that much.

I now have some funds burning a hole in my pocket...

My sources are Gungnir MB and Rega P2 w/ HanaEL. These are switched with a SYS into a Naim UnitiQute...

Really looking at two choices here:
Get Freya (S or +) and use Naim Amp.
Get Aegir and use Sys as pre-amp.

Which do you think would come out sounding better?

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #56,111 of 151,513
Looks like decision time is here.... I sold off a pair of emotiva amps that I never liked all that much.

I now have some funds burning a hole in my pocket...

My sources are Gungnir MB and Rega P2 w/ HanaEL. These are switched with a SYS into a Naim UnitiQute...

Really looking at two choices here:
Get Freya (S or +) and use Naim Amp.
Get Aegir and use Sys as pre-amp.

Which do you think would come out sounding better?

If it were me, I would go with the Freya S or Freya + option. Switch attenutator circuits in the Freya units are better than the RK09 pot in Sys. I suspect that there will be some used Vidars / Aegirs on the market soon, given the recent introduction of the Jotunheim R.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #56,112 of 151,513
I don't use accurate measurements when I cook or make coffee. I can go months without dirtying measuring cups/spoons etc. I'm a firm believer in the TLAR method. Yeah, it lets me down sometimes, but not as often as one might think.
Wow! Only the second person who's ever mentioned TLAR!

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #56,113 of 151,513
I prefer the Freya + but then I like the flexibility of altering the sound a bit with different tubes.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #56,115 of 151,513
Real men do not need manuals. Did you not say that recently?

Get your cat to help if need be. No Marilyn Manson though, stick to your usual Partridge Family or whatever your particular test music is.

Yeah I did, but I didn't say I was a real man.

And unfortunately I sent my whole Partridge Family collection to @Ripper2860. His David Cassidy posters alone weren't enough. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back