Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #55,247 of 150,240
Hey all, it's that time again!

SchiitrMeet January
Magni 3+/Heresy Thunderdome!

It's time to put op-amps up against discrete design and see who's the winner. Let's have a listen to Magni 3+ and Heresy...blind. We'll have multiple headphone listening stations set up, with everything level-matched and obscured...and we can try them as pre-amps in the speaker room too.

So, let's see what happens. We've been surprised before. What will we find this time?

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 10
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason

I can't wait to see the results of this one. Jason, are you going to run the units in low or high gain mode? The reason why I am asking is that the Heresy sounded a lot closer to the Magni 3+ when both amps were running in high gain mode. I still strongly preferred the Magni 3+ but it was closer.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #55,248 of 150,240
I can't wait to see the results of this one. Jason, are you going to run the units in low or high gain mode? The reason why I am asking is that the Heresy sounded a lot closer to the Magni 3+ when both amps were running in high gain mode. I still strongly preferred the Magni 3+ but it was closer.

I'm not sure about the mechanics, someone else is setting it up. The main thing is blinding.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 3, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #55,250 of 150,240
Would hope that the same headphones and gain would be used for the testing.
If you start using different impedance cans and switch these around things go south rather quickly....Having several stations with the same type headphone on each station would be great...

Its ok to use different cans but when comparing, gosh you really need to use the same headphones....

If you change from a 35 ohm set on one amp and 600 ohm on the other, things get wonky.

Wish I could be there to help setup!!!

Alex
North Carolina!

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #55,252 of 150,240
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #55,253 of 150,240

SchiitrMeet January

It's time to put op-amps up against discrete design and see who's the winner. Let's have a listen to Magni 3+ and Heresy...blind. We'll have multiple headphone listening stations set up, with everything level-matched and obscured...and we can try them as pre-amps in the speaker room too.

So, let's see what happens. We've been surprised before. What will we find this time?

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 9
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason
Sounds fun. Too bad I'm outta town that week.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #55,254 of 150,240
Would hope that the same headphones and gain would be used for the testing.
If you start using different impedance cans and switch these around things go south rather quickly....Having several stations with the same type headphone on each station would be great...

Its ok to use different cans but when comparing, gosh you really need to use the same headphones....

If you change from a 35 ohm set on one amp and 600 ohm on the other, things get wonky.

Wish I could be there to help setup!!!

Alex
North Carolina!

+1 to that. I think Jason will have his crew take the Avermetrics there to match the levels and do the setup since he's busy with Sol, Jotunheim R, and the new-for-2020 stuff he can't talk about yet :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #55,255 of 150,240
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #55,256 of 150,240

SchiitrMeet January

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 9
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason

you should do a tour of the amps for Head-Fi people like other companies have done. I was sent the Hifiman Ananda, dekoni blue, and Jade II with giant amp for example then mailed it to next person.

You could require people pay their own shipping + have x amount of feedback, then let people join a tour list. I'd love to listen to both of these amps side by side and compare to my Asgard 2.

Loaner tour Schiit edition 2020????? haha it's ok if answer is no, I know that can be a bit much for a smaller company

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #55,257 of 150,240
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #55,259 of 150,240
Gawd ASR is a waste of time.

[RANT] No surprise that Magni 3+ measured worse than Heresy -- even Jason said it would.

Wow. Knob placement?** Really? Can't just give it a clean recommendation w/o saying 'but not for me cause I don't like the KNOB placement'. Pretty 'subjective' for a site that is exclusively 'objective'. Perhaps there are underlying medical reasons as to why some could not turn, remove fingers, re-place fingers and turn again. Hell, I never get my Magni past 12 o'clock w/o practically going deaf and never had to double-clutch the volume control!! I guess if it was given a whole-hearted and unreserved recommendation with the anti-Schiit sentiment at ASR, that would be like Amir biting the hand that feeds him. :rolling_eyes: [/RANT]

I guess we should be happy that neither was systematically drubbed ad infinitum. :D

** Personally if he had taken points away for not having a front power switch, I'd almost understand that. :grinning:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #55,260 of 150,240
I'm not sure about the mechanics, someone else is setting it up. The main thing is blinding.

I think you should throw a Vali 2 into the mix just to, you know, screw things up. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back