Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #55,231 of 150,210
Reading the review, there is a criticism that the HEL doesn't support USB headsets.... wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the HEL? USB headsets must already have a built in DAC/ADC, else how would they work?

well, the idea is that the Hel USB, DAC and amp is much better, so if there were a USB headset input, these headsets would sound better too

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #55,232 of 150,210
All USB headsets have their own integrated DAC (and if they have mics, they also have their own integrated ADC). USB outputs a digital signal, not analog, so the USB headphone/headset would have to do its own Digital to Analog conversion therefore by-passing the Schiit HEL DAC and negating any possible improvement brought by HEL.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #55,235 of 150,210
Thanks, @Timster Hopefully I did not breach forum etiquette by responding to post that quoted you. Happy New Year and I hope you are far, far away from those terrible fires!!

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #55,236 of 150,210
Thanks, @Timster Hopefully I did not breach forum etiquette by responding to post that quoted you. Happy New Year and I hope you are far, far away from those terrible fires!!

Thank you! So far, we are lucky where we live. However it is very dry and we are rural, so always a risk. Bad fire season indeed down under. Eucalypts are nasty trees when they burn.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #55,239 of 150,210
Think wayyyyyyyy higher. Mani is great as-is. Nothing at the price competes in terms of performance and flexibility. You should be asking: what can we do for 10x the price? Could we redefine what you expect from a phono preamp? Can we compete with cost-no-object designs?

Oh! I just thought of another thing I would want in addition to the variable impedance for MC carts:

Multiple EQ Curve selections! RIAA, Decca, Columbia, no curve, and maybe more I cannot think of. I have some older records that are probably not RIAA, so it would be fun to play around with that.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #55,240 of 150,210
Hey all, it's that time again!

SchiitrMeet January
Magni 3+/Heresy Thunderdome!

It's time to put op-amps up against discrete design and see who's the winner. Let's have a listen to Magni 3+ and Heresy...blind. We'll have multiple headphone listening stations set up, with everything level-matched and obscured...and we can try them as pre-amps in the speaker room too.

So, let's see what happens. We've been surprised before. What will we find this time?

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 9
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #55,242 of 150,210
Multiple EQ Curve selections! RIAA, Decca, Columbia, no curve, and maybe more I cannot think of. I have some older records that are probably not RIAA, so it would be fun to play around with that.
So you're talking about PRE 1955 recordings and pressings, so 78's.
Or more simple, buy a Loki mini.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #55,243 of 150,210
Hey all, it's that time again!

SchiitrMeet January
Magni 3+/Heresy Thunderdome!

It's time to put op-amps up against discrete design and see who's the winner. Let's have a listen to Magni 3+ and Heresy...blind. We'll have multiple headphone listening stations set up, with everything level-matched and obscured...and we can try them as pre-amps in the speaker room too.

So, let's see what happens. We've been surprised before. What will we find this time?

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 10
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason

I wish ... unfortunately a jaunt too far !! Look forward to the results.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #55,245 of 150,210
So you're talking about PRE 1955 recordings and pressings, so 78's.
Or more simple, buy a Loki mini.
I am indeed talking about those things. And part of me would rather trust an engineer to create a good EQ Curve in a component than me guess with the Loki (not knocking the Loki).

In his post, Jason said to dream big, so I was. I fully realize that it is not a feature most people would have need of.

I would add though that there are pre-1955 33 1/3s and 45s, though not as common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back